DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
What an interesting and fun project. I see, what looks like a weight in the cab. I take it the drive wheels are under it. I'm trying to get a sense of the wheel arrangement, but your photos are dark in that area.
You are quite right, the drive and motor is located within the Weight. The third image on the 4th Post shows the original setup of the front 'Bogie' that should make things a little clearer. The original drive is just a Single Axle with a Bogie at the Rear. In fact the Single Axle on the Dickie is disguised by a False Bogie Front. Now that it has been painted will try to remember to get a Pic of it upside down with better lighting to show the underneath bits better. In the meantime here is a short vid of a Test Run to see if it was worth progressing, this was essentially to see if the Wheelbase with the Bogie Conversion to the Rear Wheel would run OK. All was well. The Bumping is I think a small fault on the Drive Gears, accentuated by the pCab being loose at this stage. Also the horrible Sound can be heard at some stage of the Vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhDP5d2BgN4

Thanks for your interest.
JonD

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Smart :D :D :D :D :D

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Ah ha! We have penetration. Had I viewed page one, of this thread, the details would have penetrated my head. The set-up reminds my of some low end toy trains as a kid, way, way back in the day. Molded details, such as wheels, were only for show. I watched the video. Other than the clicking, it seems to track just fine.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Would be nice to see it painted up?

Does anyone else have problems with some of the early photo's apparently not being present in this thread??

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have now pretty well completed this project. All that remains is the Lettering (still), a bit more Weathering and some typical junk in the Wagon Part, Sleepers, Rail Chairs etc. these will be attended to in due course. But for now the final few pictures. The first couple showing the underneath as requested.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next up shows how the Switches are used in their 3 Modes, Forwards, Reverse and Stop.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then a couple of pictures showing the look as painted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally the left over bits. What shall I now do with these, perhaps the Hammer may be a useful idea?

image.jpg

JonD

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Nah! Buy another loco and disect it in same way for another PW trolley variation - then put the two remaining portions of body together, source a power bogie (or two), and you could have a reasonable loco :D

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Nah! Buy another loco and disect it in same way for another PW trolley variation - then put the two remaining portions of body together, source a power bogie (or two), and you could have a reasonable loco :D
Thanks for that, more work!
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well this post just about wraps up the project with a Picture of the Junk Loaded into the Open Rear of the Beast. Tools, Sack, Bucket, Sleepers Rail and an old Lighter Filler looking like I think an Gas Bottle:-

image.jpg

Then out on the line in the Sidings that it is likely to lurk in. On the real line I have seen similar beasts at Alexisbad and Magdesprung. Here mine sits at Alexisbad, Magdesprung, Harzegerode, and Silberhutte (2 pics).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally a couple of Pics showing the Jib Extended doing a small Junk Collection job at Magdesprung.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many thanks again for your kind comments throughout this Project.
JonD

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
How about a short video of the beast in motion?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
How about a short video of the beast in motion?
Forgot that, your wish is my command:-

In truth I did this vid and the pics on Friday but managed to delete the pics, only got around to taking pics again and senior moment re the Vid.
JonD

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looks and runs great to me. You have captured the look of a well used piece of equipment with one exception. You need to dirty up the boom.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
Looks and runs great to me. You have captured the look of a well used piece of equipment with one exception. You need to dirty up the boom.

Thanks for your kind comments. I have weathered the Boom, but just in a quite subtle way. I did want it's Yellowness to be appreciated. This subtleness of weathering does not show to well on the Low Res Pics and Vid. However on the final pics you can make out where I have indicated Hydraulic Fluid Leaks.
JonD

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely done, Jon. Looks the part and almost sounds right as is.

Rik

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Great bash JD....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
A very dead one at Gernrode station on the Harz
DSC05029 (Medium).JPG

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Alan, many thanks for posting that interesting piece of Kit at Gernrode. Proves that the Brown was in the end a valid colour to paint the Bodywork on mine.
JonD

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Alan, many thanks for posting that interesting piece of Kit at Gernrode. Proves that the Brown was in the end a valid colour to paint the Bodywork on mine.
JonD
I would have said the kit on Alan's post was a faded orange (with a browny tinge) Jon, but your model does look the part though?

I guess it was a high viz orange before? Most plant seems to be either yellow, or orange, I guess so it is visible for safety reasons.

I have found that the Humbrol high viz orange that I have used to paint a couple of figures fades in the sun after a summer. Maybe worth painting your trolley with this and letting the sun do its thing to get the careworn look as per the photo....

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This colour maybe - its what they paint their diesels (other than the Rotkamels)

Attachments

• harz deisel.jpg
    harz deisel.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 18

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I should really have painted it Yellow. But, could not get a Matt Rattle Can, too lazy to mix up Matt Yellow for Spray-gun, plus one of my pics earlier in this thread shows a Polish (PKP) one in Brown. Thus I applied Rule 1! Hope no one is too offended.
JonD

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Its hardly yellow - more of a pinky orange. I'll see if I can find a better piccy on the net.