dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have these bits left over (and some more) from my Rollwagen Project. The thought occured to me that there is the basis for a Battery Operated Pway Trolley here. Probably my next project, just please don`t hold your breath waiting for the next posting on this one. I still have a Garden Railway to build, well get more done to.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I literally just bought the Dickie Set for the Small Bogies that I have used on my Rollwagens.
JonD

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting..
What make are these please?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
Interesting..
What make are these please?
Dickies, a German toy manufacturer Phil....

D

Deleted member 1986

JonD,

Thanks for posting, interesting motorised chassis, seems ideal for what you have in mind, if you get a few mins any chance of a couple of extra pictures, a closer look at the motor gubbins, and one of underneath, appears to have a sound unit as well.

Thanks................

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I bought the Dickie Set primarily for the Bogie to use  on my Roll Wagens. The Battery Operated Loco being seen as a bonus. I was somewhat dissapointed  when I discovered that the Power was not in fact a Bogie but a Single Wheel hidden behind a Fake Bogie. This is not apparent in any of the Pictures of the Producet. Live and Learn I will however make use of it in this Project and yes it does have sound but it is not good. If memory serves it is that generic thing that does a Whistle, Bell and Clackety Clack like in the Newquid Locomotive and other cheep toys.

As requested here are some more pice. The Motor is located in the Square Box with the White Tape on it. Surrounded by the Metal Weight. There is a Bogie at the other end. So I could have made a Half Rollwagen if I wanted too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is a Link to the Dickie Site though I bought my set through German Ebay. There do not appear to be any listed just now. Certainly the price apprared to be better than on this site. I think that I paid around £70 with postage for the Loco, 3 Wagons and some track.

http://www.living3000.de/shop/suche?q=dickie%20spur%20g&campid=5337377932&page=6

Hope this helps,

JonD

D

Deleted member 1986

JonD,

Thanks for pictures, understand your disappointment at the motor arrangement.
Though it does present several options for future kit bashing. Might make a good basis for small 4 wheeled vehicle, perhaps a Wickham Trolley type as used and operated by the CAA on the Isle of Man.

Await the results of your PWay Battery Operated Trolley.

John S

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
John, This is what I am thinking of. It is from the RHB and appears to be a mixed use vehicle having the ability to fit different Cranes for both General Work and Bridge Examination. The Top Drawing is more correct for the type of Crane with the Dicke Set and what I am thinking of.  However it is a bit too modern for my requirements of something that ran in the Harz circa 1970/80`s. Thus it will be modified (backdated and bodged) to look more look the sort of thing that I have seen in former East Germany. Though I have to say I have never seen one in East Germany with a Crane, but then there may be some. At least the basis is the same Gauge Metre as I wish to Model.

image.jpg

Many thanks for your interest.
JonD

Chris

Trains, Model railways, Photography, Land Rover's
26 Oct 2009
Somewhere cold and damp
Best answers
Country flag
Something like this Jon?

DSC_0964_zpsaafccfd4.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 1986

JonD,

See where you are coming from now. Certainly will be an unusual and unique vehicle, look forward to this progressing. Working crane? ;)

John S

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Am liking these ideas..

Does anyone make the crane-arms as an 'accessory', or add on, does anyone know?
Or is it a case as here of cannibalising another item? - I am sure my modelling skills would not be up to creating a passable crane arm.
*That is something passable to me! - I am my worst critic, hence (in my eyes) all I do is pretty poor!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Emek do (did?) a 1:25 accessory one. This is it mounted on a custom Playmobil LKW incident fire brigade truck I made:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/album/displayimage.php?album=73&pid=692#top_display_media

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Chris, yes just like that. I have found some more bits of LGB and the one that you posted has some parts that are a pretty good match. Where was that one photed please?

As for Cranes, well the one I am using is from a Dicke Wagon. In fact it is still on it in the first picture, minus Bogies of course. If you trawl through the site shown here on Post #4 you will find the Crane Wagons as I have got listed on their own.

Playmobile do/did a PWay Set that had a Crane on a Locomotive very similar to what I am planning. In fact I have lusted after the Playmobile one for some time. But it makes more sense and is much more fun to Bodgel something out of bits that are kicking around.
JonD

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The Playmobil one had a digger attachment not a crane:

http://www.collectobil.com/images/items/4053.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
playmofire said:
The Playmobil one had a digger attachment not a crane:

http://www.collectobil.com/images/items/4053.jpg

Quite so, but could easily be converted.
JonD

Chris

Trains, Model railways, Photography, Land Rover's
26 Oct 2009
Somewhere cold and damp
Best answers
Country flag
photo was taken at a private collection in the Black Forest, in Germany. I think I have some more on the portable HDD, I will have a look.

As for cranes, Ertl/Italeri do a 1/24 crane kit -
ita-3854.jpg

KFS do a range of 1/24 truck cranes which are suitable -
hiab4.JPG

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have found a few more bits in the Ruschbahn Offcuts Box that will go towards this project. The large parts are from the butchery of a LGB 23330 Tractor. The Small Steering Wheel is I think Playmobile. Not sure where this will find use, but who knows.

image.jpg

JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This project is not dead, just awaiting the Rollwagens completion. They are a bit of a grind with all the fiddly detail. But I am getting there. But in the meantime whilst researching for my Garden line, also ongoing I came across these picture of PWay trolleys in former East Germany. The first two are both on 75mm Lines, the one taken in Colour with a Chimney growing out of the Lift is from the Oschatz Mügeln Line. The other one in Black and White, well let us say it is a quiz! But a clue, Rasender Rolland.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The final one is in Poland network, so is Also 750mm, but has no Lift. But I reckon the Cab has possibilities for using the dickies one.

image.jpg

JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well it has been a long time for this to be resurrected. But after the completion of my Green Harz Backdate, the PWay Trolley`s day finally came. In truth it has been bugging me all Summer, all the bits sat on the Shelf. So I needed to make the space clear.

Once I got going it all fell into place, though some may look at it and say Highly Unlikely, but it has used up loads of bits and got the Brain Juices flowing. It took me roughly 1 1/2 days to do, sitting on the Workbench now having been Painted, Weathered and just awaits it`s lettering to be printed up.

First jobs were to Cut the Cab from the Body, I then cup up the remaining Chassis Parts to make a Top for it. Some more of the Top and the Wooden Effect Sides came from an Open Wagon that was in the Dickie Set. This was the Wagon that the Crane was Mounted on so the Base has been reused to mount the Crane. The critical measurement for the Body behind the Cab was the Crane sitting just behind the Cab. The Bogie had one part of the Wheel Assembly Cut off as well as the two Outside frames. The resultant Single Axle Assembly was then screwed back into its original hole with the Remaining Wheel towards the Rear. I inserted a Washer between the former bogie and the body hole to ensure that it no longer swivelled.

As for the electronics, I decided not to reuse the Circuit board with it`s silly Sound Puffer Unit. This required a rewire and a Fix of two SPST Switches to make up a DPDT for stop and Reverse. If you follow the Wiring that they did on the Stop/Reverse Switch you get my Unique system of using the Two Switches one either side. Both Forwards and the Unit goes Forwards.  Both Backwards and the Unit goes Backwards, but here is the clever bit. Just knock any of the Switches to be Opposite and the Thing Stops Dead. How this works is to remove Power to just one of the Motor Wires. The benefit is twofold, first you do not need to reach across the Train to Stop it. The second there is no monkeying about trying to find the Centre Off on a DPDTCO Switch which is what would normally be used in these circumstances.

I think that the pics show the result of all my Hacking and Sticking, just to add that the Cab is held on with a Couple of 10BA Screws. The Rear Body with a Couple of 8BA Screws Mid Body.

The last few pictures show the unit as at the end of Mondays Work.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I managed to foul up with the pics. This should be the Third Picture:-

image.jpg

Todays work has been to disguise the resultant Hole at the back of the Cab. For this I used the LGB Tool Box, made up with odd pieces of Plasticard. I also put a couple of Larger doors on after shaving off the relief from the existing ones. Buffer beams were cut up from the Dickie Originals with the two buffers shaved off and one returned to the Centre. The Tools will go back in their resultant holes once Weathered. The last 6 Pics on this instalment shows the thing pretty much completed then disassembled for Spray Painting.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

JonD

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
What an interesting and fun project. I see, what looks like a weight in the cab. I take it the drive wheels are under it. I'm trying to get a sense of the wheel arrangement, but your photos are dark in that area.