Phoenix sounds and Windows 10

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a while since I've performed Phoenix sound adjustments with my computer and in the meantime I fell for Microsoft's sneaky auto upgrade to Windows 10.
When I tried the Phoenix program a few days ago I didn't succeed so I arranged to visit a mate who has the system on a computer that runs Windows XP.
I also emailed Phoenix as I find their customer service excellent. Today I got a lengthy and detailed reply starting with "Windows 10 upgrades are creating a whole slew of issues for many."
Should any forum member need more detail and find it more convenient than emailing Phoenix directly I will forward the email to them provided, of course, that I have their email address.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Eeek!

And just as the W10 free-upgrade window is coming to an end..

Guess I will be sticking with W7.

D

Deleted member 1986

As an experiment I downloaded the latest version of their software and installed it on a Windows 10 computer.
Phoenix.PNG

Screeen shot shows the software loaded and no signs of a compatibility issue.

So from previous experiences with Windows 10, AND, the only issues I have encountered to date have been with the Prolific Chipset Drivers, the following may be well worth a few minutes to investigate.

Just for the record the Computer is an eM250 which is by my reckockning at least 16 years old, upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 10, no issues, no problems, runs better now than it ever did!

NOTE: There is No direct upgrade route, requires registrating to the Windows Insider Programe, in case anybody queries how I managed to upgrade!

Device Manager:
Device.PNG

By way of an explanation:

For Windows Windows 10.

"This Device cannot start (Code 10)"

"No driver installed for this device"

"Device driver was not successfully installed"

What has happened is that there have been counterfeit "Prolific" chips coming from China. The counterfeit chips use the same Vendor ID (VID_067B) and Product ID (PID_2303) as the authentic Prolific chips. So, Prolific made changes to their newest drivers to render the adapters using counterfeit chips unusable. Unfortunately, it renders all earlier adapters inoperative and so you have to go out and buy new one.

Or, you may get no error at all, but your device will not work. If your adapter was working prior to going to Windows Update, you may be able to "roll back" to the previous installed driver and all will be well once again. However, if you didn't have a previous driver installed that worked, you'll have to go through the process of removing any PL-2303 driver installation programs,the actual driver files, and the information (.INF) file BEFORE you are able to successfully install the correct driver.

Windows 10 is set by default to automatically update your drivers without your permission or even notifying you of the update. So, no matter how many times you remove the driver files and reboot, the next time you insert the USB-To-Serial adapter, Windows installs the newest non-working version again.

This one works:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201556301506?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited by a moderator:

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Eeek!

And just as the W10 free-upgrade window is coming to an end..

Guess I will be sticking with W7.
You can reserve your free upgrade by upgrading, then rolling it back. If you are anxious, you can create a disk image backup first. The upgrade creates your free entitlement and you can use it any time in the future - if you want. But only on this hardware.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You can reserve your free upgrade by upgrading, then rolling it back. If you are anxious, you can create a disk image backup first. The upgrade creates your free entitlement and you can use it any time in the future - if you want. But only on this hardware.

Except that the upgrade fails on my machine!
:(:mad::mad::mad: