Not open for further replies.
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Have managed to get Google's Chrome as default browser - it's just that I hate MSN. When I want to surf the net, I do not wish to have all sorts of junk, news, weather etc flashing in front of me. When I want news, I'll go to a news website, and when I want the weather, I'll go to a weather website. Call me old fashioned......................

???? MSN is not a program it is a web site, and the default home page on Microsloth stuff... you could have just changed your home page, you don't need to change the browser, although Edge is bad, but you could use IE or Firefox or anything... by the way, Google is even more invasive than Microsoft, so I hope you are comfortable with all your browsing experiences being reported back to Google so they can target an even wider range of junk than Microsoft did.

Apparently Winders 10 and office 365 can still have difficulties with Microsoft Outlook. The very nice man at the Utility Warehouse directed me to another email programme on the new 'pooter, and all is sweetness and light :nod::nod:

??? Don't know where you got that information... I have been using Outlook since 1.0 and it has ALWAYS worked with Windows... maybe you have a really old version? I have quite a number of computers and all have Win10 and Outlook except for 2 old laptops used to program decoders.

The other problem with PC World's Knowhowcloud is, I think, that it is set up to automatically ask for a password change when you add a new device. I don't think the dear sweet darlings on their helpdesk have had that bit adequately explained. Anyway, that's now working as well. My life is now somewhere on someone's cloud, or if it's run by Google, it's on the seabed somewhere :D:D:D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
According to my internet provider MS Outlook that comes with Office 365 doesn't always work with Windows 10 - it certainly would not set up for me, but Microsoft mail is working OK. The guy said he had had to advise a number of people that way.

The version of Office 365 that I have is a deal that Microsoft do with large employers - you can buy office 365 for £10 as long as you stop using it when you leave their employ ;)

Yeah, Google's invasive, but I thought it might encourage them to pay more tax :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
. Apart from abstracting the Michael, it's all about that other M word - Mammon!

Yebbut, you fell you're dealing with dorks. So if this all-pervading, all-pervasive internet knowledge is so good for the sales guy, why do programmes like ebay, and this forum, keep plugging an advert for a pair of shoes that I looked at but didn't buy - BECAUSE THEY ARE OUT OF STOCK :punch::punch:

It was also a sale price, so I wouldn't be re-visiting right now - and anyway I bought a pair in TKMax for £12.

Doesn't stop the dorks plugging the ad, though :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yebbut, you fell you're dealing with dorks. So if this all-pervading, all-pervasive internet knowledge is so good for the sales guy, why do programmes like ebay, and this forum, keep plugging an advert for a pair of shoes that I looked at but didn't buy - BECAUSE THEY ARE OUT OF STOCK :punch::punch:

It was also a sale price, so I wouldn't be re-visiting right now - and anyway I bought a pair in TKMax for £12.

Doesn't stop the dorks plugging the ad, though :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

I find Amazon even worse!
The adage - "It can do no harm to look" no longer applies. "Curiosity killed the cat." might be more apt!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I find Amazon even worse!
The adage - "It can do no harm to look" no longer applies. "Curiosity killed the cat." might be more apt!
Just proves the point that when it comes to sales and selling, there is very little original thought.

They rely on one mantra - the same one used by Cynthia Payne - Access takes the waiting out of wanting >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
:party:
From a smug Apple user!
JonD

Dave500UK

50 yrs playing trains
3 May 2015
Fylde Coast
www.livewyre.co.uk
Best answers
That's the thing with operating systems, you don't own them, you only lease the right to use it. They can do as they please and the EULA you agree to gives them full control.
The only way to lock them out is by 'buying' a corporate version.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I am of a sufficiently robust mentality to do things my way and b****r everybody else. When I was young, the original Mini was cool, so I went out and bought a huge Ford Zephyr.

I can see the ads, ignore them, but am still amazed at the mindless zombies who create them thinking that it gets sales :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

If Darwin had been right (and sadly he wasn't) we wouldn't be getting very far :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Only just seen Rhinochugger's post about getting rid of MSN by changing browser - have to agree with Greg that was a bit overkill! First thing I do with *any* browser is set the default page to blank not the provider's home page.

It is quite fascinating how, just because you happened to look at something on Amazon, adverts for said thing then magically turn up in sidebars all over the place. sometimes they even start appearing on sidebars on SWMBO's pc which I never use! Obviously being an IT guy I understand it's down to cookies and ip tracking etc. it doesn't worry me as such (I'm not one of these paranoid types who get so wound up about privacy and cookies and stuff).

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
load Adblock plus and Ghostery into your browsers, stops the trackers and popups..

Greg

Didn't know Adblock plus worked with Edge I have it for my Mozilla browser and never get ads.

I was seriously thinking of using Mozilla as my default browser,

Opinions anyone????

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
DO NOT USE EDGE IT IS JUNK...

You can put it (ghostery, adblock) into IE, Chrome, Firefox.

I use Firefox, Chrome reports back to google who is in the business of selling your information, Edge is seriously messed up and does not support plugins, IE is as stupid as it has ever been, and the rest are worse.

Greg

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
After some deliberation, I decided to upgrade from W7 to W10. Initially, things seemed OK, though I noticed that Office seemed to work more slowly (still keep getting 'Not responding' messages) but the transition was less traumatic than I expected. Until a couple of days ago when 'apps' (How I hate that 'word' - or should it be 'wo....') began to play up and then yesterday all apps stopped working - which meant I had no images on the Task Bar, no Start menu and when right clicking I couldn't access 'Personalize' etc. Searched for solutions - most of which told me to do stuff under 'Settings' which I couldn't do as I had no start menu.

In the end, I had to reinstall all the apps by a convoluted method using something called Powershell. (see half way down - http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/com...g-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532 )

The graphic styling of W10 is not a patch on W7 - it seems clunky, slow and unreliable. I am not impressed!!!

Windows 10 is CARP!!!!!!!!

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

Dave500UK

50 yrs playing trains
3 May 2015
Fylde Coast
www.livewyre.co.uk
Best answers
Have to agree about APPS!!
I have a Sony Android TV which insists on downloading apps I don't want such as Playstation Video. I wanted the Android version specifically as it has sat as well as terrestrial inputs, has the youview EPG which rolled seamlessly into all 5 of the on-demand players and any subscription services like Netflix.
If you do a factory reset they all go away and response is immediate, then it gets slower and more sluggish and after a while the apps are all back again! I have no user downloaded apps installed.
You can turn of auto updates, but then also do not get updates you really want or need such as EPG and system. A brilliant device ruined by apps.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
And that is NOT the first virus for Macs... but my boss got hit with the ransomware virus "locky" and it wanted 3 bitcoins (about $1,200) for the key to unlock it... encrypted every document on his computer.

First Mac virus was in 1982... actually predated the Mac, which came out in 1984, but it attacked Apple computers of the time.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/10/03/mac-malware-history/

Greg

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
You cant simply make bold statements such as "Windows is carp", "rubbish", "useless" etc., just because you've had a bad experience. Windows 10 sped up my clunky 6-year old Dell laptop no end, and resolved several inexplicable issues that I was experiencing with Win 7.

Yes the new layout etc., does take some getting used to, but if you don't fancy it you can set up 10 to work just like your old WIn 7 desktop, and all your familiar stuff is there (but then why not just stick with 7 right? I know). OK Windows 10 doesn't work for everyone for various reasons (I just don't like it, nothing is where is used to be, I prefer 7, incompatible hardware/software etc), but that doesn't make it a c**p piece of software. Got Win 10 on my mobile too and it's superb.

When Windows XP first came out it was widely slated it (so widely that it warranted several national news reports). What millions of users failed to do however when upgrading to XP, was check the comprehensive hardware compatibility list that was issued when you upgraded/purchased the software. It clearly listed pretty much every hardware component from pretty much every manufacturer that XP would not be not compatible with, but most folks just didn't look at it, and lo, they had problems when they upgraded. The classic was the IT Professional with 20 years experience who was interviewed on a TV news report and complained that he'd had to renew various components on his PC at great expense to get XP working. I got the impression from the interview that this guy just opened the box and installed the software (probably used the compatibility list to rest his coffee cup on :) ).

I'm not saying this is the issue with Win 10, and personally (and professionally) I too prefer Win 7, I'm just saying that you can't label it rubbish c**p etc., just because your experience wasn't great.

I had VW Touran in 2011 that was a complete pile of pants, and left me somewhere in the region of £4k out of pocket with nothing to show for it when it gave up the ghost, but I wouldn't label the whole VW brand c**p just because the one I had was useless (overpriced yes, c**p no :) ). There a literally millions of happy VW owners out there.

Sorry went on a bit there. I think basically if you're not sure, and what you have works then stick with it, and don't be tempted to upgrade just because the upgrade's there. Difficult I know as MS are pushing it very hard and you can barely open a web browser these days without some reference to your free Win 10 upgrade popping up (thank goodness for the close/exit button eh?)

Status
Not open for further replies.