Orient Express Rolling Stock

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I have found continued employment and the care of an elderly relative very demanding over the last few months. A long weekend off prompted some 'me time' to unwind so I managed to resurrect a project which had been put to one side. Piko Taurus has acquired the necessary coats of paint and a start has been made on associated livery. This will be a completely fictional loco - it's assumed that Siemen's leasing arm (Dispolok) was successful in obtaining a contract with VSOE and a multi-current vehicle supplied capable of traversing the entire route. Before I removed all the lettering from the donor bodyshell I photographed all markings and using MS Paint have produced what I think would have been an appropriate set for use on my model. These have been printed on inkjet vinyl and will be lacquered in due course. The colours are a much better match that the photographs indicate and hopefully will blend in well. I've purchased a Piko decoder and an LGB 65006 sound unit which will be installed shortly. I don't expect much more progress in the immediate future but will update developments as they happen.
P1060255 (2).JPG P1060256 (2).JPG P1060258 (2).JPG

Reactions: 5 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely printed Vynils. This post caused me to search for Lazer Vynil and it is available. Lazer tends to last better in dayloght though you can get UV Sprays that will help if the inkjet you have is not too daylight colour fast.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely printed Vynils. This post caused me to search for Lazer Vynil and it is available. Lazer tends to last better in dayloght though you can get UV Sprays that will help if the inkjet you have is not too daylight colour fast.
My (self adhesive) vinyl came from Photo Paper Direct. I bought all three types - gloss, matt and clear. Also purchased a rattle-can of Ghiant satin inkjet fix (made in Belgium). I'm using Epson Stylus SX235W and HP Deskjet 1000 printers. Pattern cartridges from ebay seller 'kind-baby' for the Epson were £8.99 for THIRTY, including P&P !!!!!!!

When time permits I may print a new set of doors and windows to replace worn out ones on some of my ICE coaches. I also have a couple of spare trains which could be treated to some thing totally different in the way of livery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
First of the vinyls applied. The following has been noted.

1 Colour not quite as close as I had hoped, but once the final lacquer is applied it may not be so noticeable. Could always argue that modern practice is to stick printed data panels on rather than coachpaint.

2 Size compared to originals is way out in some instances, but should still convey the feel and impression.

3 My age is showing in the 'unsteady hand' giving rise to things not being square or level. Was going to peel off and try again but suspect there would not be a noticeable improvement next time round.

P1060259 (2).JPG

Reactions: 4 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I like the cut of your jib, sir :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I like the cut of your jib, sir :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Thanks Rhino. You must have been reading my mind as I've recently considered building a large rail-mounted crane. Have almost completed one side of ES 64 U4 009. Domestic chores now call so this will be shelved for a few days as I return to work tomorrow. Latest pics taken in rather too bright sunlight so edges and colour variation somewhat exaggerated. I'm quite impressed with this inkjet vinyl stuff so ordered another 40 sheets last night while the CyberMonday offer was still on. I can think of a myriad of uses.
P1060260b.JPG P1060261 (2).JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Rhino. You must have been reading my mind as I've recently considered building a large rail-mounted crane. Have almost completed one side of ES 64 U4 009. Domestic chores now call so this will be shelved for a few days as I return to work tomorrow. Latest pics taken in rather too bright sunlight so edges and colour variation somewhat exaggerated. I'm quite impressed with this inkjet vinyl stuff so ordered another 40 sheets last night while the CyberMonday offer was still on. I can think of a myriad of uses.
View attachment 230442 View attachment 230443
I think your Orient Express train needs a much longer line to stretch its legs - come the better weather, drop me a line and come across the county :nod::nod::nod::nod:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
What a brilliant idea, and a well thought out back story to justify it too.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
First of the vinyls applied. The following has been noted.

1 Colour not quite as close as I had hoped, but once the final lacquer is applied it may not be so noticeable. Could always argue that modern practice is to stick printed data panels on rather than coachpaint.

2 Size compared to originals is way out in some instances, but should still convey the feel and impression.

3 My age is showing in the 'unsteady hand' giving rise to things not being square or level. Was going to peel off and try again but suspect there would not be a noticeable improvement next time round.

View attachment 230419
What can help take the edges of the well edge of the paper is to colour off the white with a felt tip pen. Finding a good match may be a problem but there are lots of packs available with many different pens of the same colour. Even a close match would tend to loose the white edge.

I use Lettering as you have done on all my renumbering projects and find the felt tip pen suggested works for me.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
It's official - HERCULE POIROT LIVES!

Despite David Suchet's portrayal of Monsieur Poirot's demise he has been resurrected as the only (to my knowledge) named Taurus locomotive. This particular one having been leased for use on the reputedly most luxurious train in the world. To set it aside from the remainder of the class it has been adorned with a nameplate attributed to it's most famous fictional passenger. Decoder and sound unit have been fitted and weather permitting proving trials will commence later today (it being just after midnight and pitch black outside).

P1060273 (2).JPG P1060274 (2).JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's official - HERCULE POIROT LIVES!

Despite David Suchet's portrayal of Monsieur Poirot's demise he has been resurrected as the only (to my knowledge) named Taurus locomotive. This particular one having been leased for use on the reputedly most luxurious train in the world. To set it aside from the remainder of the class it has been adorned with a nameplate attributed to it's most famous fictional passenger. Decoder and sound unit have been fitted and weather permitting proving trials will commence later today (it being just after midnight and pitch black outside).

View attachment 230664 View attachment 230665
S'nice :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
C'est Bon!
Eet has got the leetle grey-cells working!!
:clap::clap::clap:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Ou? All I see is blue :emo::emo:
Been outside for a play (sorry, I mean test). Looks better in daylight. Check carefully Rhino and you'll see a bit of gold and red. SWMBO says 'have you finished?' Reply, 'No, things not completely right. Will have to have another go later, when we come home' (after shopping). I've used that one before. Wonder if she's twigged?
P1060278 (2).JPG P1060279 (2).JPG P1060280 (2).JPG P1060281 (2).JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Wow she looks superb, a great take on a real life newish loco :)

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Retirement looms and this will be my next OE project, although I have a number of half-finished items which need to be completed first. At least that's the plan, but you know nothing's certain. This time I intend to construct two at the same time (not strictly as per prototype - but my interpretation), with the intention of selling off one of them. I seem to remember someone made one in O gauge but I think a G scale version would fit in very nicely with a rake of the LGB brown and cream Fleche D'Or coaches and an SNCF Mikado up front. I've got a spare restaurant car somewhere which may acquire a matching livery.
wl-fourgon-truck-a-bogies-ciwl.jpg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations on your forthcoming retirement and I look forward to following your new project.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Retirement's a doddle (in this weather) but I'd love to see that fourgon with it's baggage containers :clap::clap::clap: