OcCre San Francisco Streetcar Build

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful model. But isn't the body actually a Cable Car?
Haven't been to 'Frisco in nearly 40 years so my memory could be faulty...

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful model. But isn't the body actually a Cable Car?
Haven't been to 'Frisco in nearly 40 years so my memory could be faulty...
Yes it is cable hauled, but is called (apparently) a streetcar

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If it grabs the cable through the slot, cable car... there are some old cable cars that have been motorized to run on the street, but only cable cars run on the cable car tracks (with the slot between the rails).

Greg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
If it grabs the cable through the slot, cable car... there are some old cable cars that have been motorized to run on the street, but only cable cars run on the cable car tracks (with the slot between the rails).

Greg

It's probably the manufacturer that's given it the wrong nomenclature!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
To overcome my issues and understand my traction problems I started a thread on Bogie Construction, which provided lots of ideas guidance and advice, with the two main potential issues to traction being Sprung Compensations on the axles and Drive to both wheels. To enable these I decided to build a bogie chassis with inside frame, which would later have dummy bogie outer frames.
The bogie frame made with 0.080" brass sheet, commercial frame spacers, and Horn Bl;ocks with Sprung Compensation, and Delrin chain drive. It has taken some time due to domestic duties, and waiting for parts, but I assembled it yesterday, and the bogie ran, so temporally attaching the Streetcar I gave it a run including my 1:24 gradient, and there was NO wheel slip. Of course other issues that I suspected would manifest themselves, did, but these were poor judgement calls on my part and are easy fixes, the good point is it worked:

The original bogies that I wish to emulate in looks, and a rough drawing:

View attachment 298950

The assembled bogie showing the gearbox and drive, the compensated horn blocks just visible at the back

View attachment 298951

A view from underneath showing the compensation and my messy (but effective) soldering:

View attachment 298952

Wheels removed to chemically blacked the frames to make them less visible through the dummy frames

View attachment 298953

The dummy frames are almost complete however due to the bogie pivot being behind the motor, I am in the process of devising an assemble method which will allow easy(ish) disassembly.
In most of my 3 point compensation applications I use a central pivot, you could add a brass bearing if you felt the mechanical need. A pic below shows my crude method on a Gauge 3 Wagon. For removal of the axle I solder some brass rod to the bearings at the outside, then cut to allow the axles to drop out. I then push a piece of wire to hold the axles and bearings in place.

The example below uses a different method to remove the wheel if required. The complete axle guard can be unscrewed but that would not be appropriate for your chassis.

Oh nice metal work by the way.
32B5DB08-CC2F-4D05-B9F5-A1C54430D0FF.jpeg

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
So not much has happened for a while since my last update at OcCre San Francisco Streetcar Build Post #35 due to the warm weather. However bit by bit I built new bogie frames, the none powered bogie having the Slaters' wagon wheel set hung from the bogie frames:

Streetcar_Bogie_20.jpg

The powered bogie was a little more complicated, the wheel mounted on the "internal" dummy frame as per my previous post, however the motor obscured the mounting screw, so the frame top spacers are fixed to the bogie and dummy bogie can be fitted, then the motor element fitted:

Streetcar_Bogie_22.jpg

Streetcar_Bogie_21.jpg

With the bogies fitted I now have two bogies that have both up and down movement in all planes, and a powered bogie that is driven on both axles and with axles compensation. And it now drives well, just for the finishing touches:

Streetcar_Bogie_15.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
The build is now complete, though the photo shows some "white" edges that may require touch up.Streetcar_22.jpg

If you want full details these are on my blog:

Reactions: 1 user