OcCre Trams - Adhesive advice

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As some of you will have seen I am now in the possession on the OcCre San Francisco Streetcar, Having read through the instructions and watched the videos, I would appreciate some advice as there seems to be some contradictions, the instructions inform to use:
Use white glue for wood,
Use fast-acting glue for part difficult to hold in position, and small parts.
Use transparent contact adhesive for window to frames.

However watching the video it would seems that "super glue" is used throughout. my assumptions are
White glue is PVA wood glue,
Fast acting glue is super glue, but there are various types these days which one,
However what is "transparent contact adhesive"

Some pointers would be appreciated, many thanks.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
There is something called contact cement, which applied to both sides, let dry a few minutes and pressed together makes an instant joint at pretty close to full strength.

Don't know the UK trade name, but: (I have seen in spray and in a bottle with an applicator/dauber)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
For my wooden models - loco, coach, wagon sides - I did a bit of research and settled on Titebond 2 as an external waterproof wood glue. It takes time to set, so you need to clamp the parts being glued, but it is about as strong as Cascamite and easier to use.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Do a search for aliphatic glue..
You can clamp the parts together, and you can get a very fine applicator..
You then run a thin line of glue along the joint.. In will wick into the joint, and is strong enough to handle (but be careful) after 20 minutes.

Works as long as one surface is absorbent.

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You then run a thin line of glue along the joint.. In will wick into the joint, and is strong enough to handle (but be careful) after 20 minutes.

PhilP
Titebond 2 - I'd forgotten the technical name

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
20211228_222017.jpg
I've got some this, it seems to stick most things, but I haven't tried it on glazing.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I was using PVA originally when I was building the Wisbech Tram Car but on Matts recommendation switched to ‘Speed Bond’ which is a 5 minute setting variation of a clear drying PVA. Still needed to clamp some parts together but many stuck just fine by the application and leaving for a few minutes.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Using model aircraft canopy glue is a good idea for windows. It is fast drying and dries clear, so if any gets onto the visible part of a window it will not be noticeable.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
All many thanks for the responses, as usual the forum have come good, and I now have a couple of ways forward.

There is something called contact cement, which applied to both sides, let dry a few minutes and pressed together makes an instant joint at pretty close to full strength.

Don't know the UK trade name, but: (I have seen in spray and in a bottle with an applicator/dauber)

Greg, not sure this would be what was meant, as I don't think it would work with the glazing, thanks though

For my wooden models - loco, coach, wagon sides - I did a bit of research and settled on Titebond 2 as an external waterproof wood glue. It takes time to set, so you need to clamp the parts being glued, but it is about as strong as Cascamite and easier to use.

Rhino, looks the business :)

PhilP

Phil, search brought out lost of good answers, including Rhino's suggestion, definitely on the shopping list, once I have decided which one. :) :)

View attachment 293760
I've got some this, it seems to stick most things, but I haven't tried it on glazing.

Paul, looked this up, most contact adhesives need to be applied to both surfaces, but I cannot find anything in the blurb, if this is single surface application could be what I am looing for.

I was using PVA originally when I was building the Wisbech Tram Car but on Matts recommendation switched to ‘Speed Bond’ which is a 5 minute setting variation of a clear drying PVA. Still needed to clamp some parts together but many stuck just fine by the application and leaving for a few minutes.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but come out of the above search:

Using model aircraft canopy glue is a good idea for windows. It is fast drying and dries clear, so if any gets onto the visible part of a window it will not be noticeable.

I have some Deluxe "Glue and Glaze" which I understand is also called "Canopy Glue", which will be my fall back solution

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
All many thanks for the responses, as usual the forum have come good, and I now have a couple of ways forward.

Greg, not sure this would be what was meant, as I don't think it would work with the glazing, thanks though

Rhino, looks the business :)

Phil, search brought out lost of good answers, including Rhino's suggestion, definitely on the shopping list, once I have decided which one. :) :)

Paul, looked this up, most contact adhesives need to be applied to both surfaces, but I cannot find anything in the blurb, if this is single surface application could be what I am looing for.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but come out of the above search:

I have some Deluxe "Glue and Glaze" which I understand is also called "Canopy Glue", which will be my fall back solution
Packing looks similar but appear to be different products on the 2 searches. Did you do speed bond in Amazon?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The Super 'Phatic, is the glue that I was thinking of..
It might seem expensive, but with the fine applicator, it is very economical, in use.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
My Occre trams have been built with the Speedbond I recommended to Jon and a good quality cyno for the metal parts. They make for a strong model with no issues a year after building and many trips around the garden layout.

Glue and Glaze is perfect for fixing the glazing and I also used it to create the lenses for the illuminated headlights on my cars as well.

I think the Super Phatic! is a runnier version of the Speedbond. We were given about 20 litres of Speedbond when we did the Great Model Railway Challenge TV show and we're all still working through it. One of the team does a lot of aero modelling and won't use anything else now, as he says it's the strongest PVA he's found, but is very easy to precisely apply. As he flies scale jet fighters fitted with jet turbine engines, he does get through quite a bit when things go a little wrong...

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
The Super 'Phatic, is the glue that I was thinking of..
It might seem expensive, but with the fine applicator, it is very economical, in use.

PhilP
Phil, I have heard this has a shortish shelf life, less than 12 months and sets solid in the container!!

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
My Occre trams have been built with the Speedbond I recommended to Jon and a good quality cyno for the metal parts. They make for a strong model with no issues a year after building and many trips around the garden layout.

Glue and Glaze is perfect for fixing the glazing and I also used it to create the lenses for the illuminated headlights on my cars as well.

I think the Super Phatic! is a runnier version of the Speedbond. We were given about 20 litres of Speedbond when we did the Great Model Railway Challenge TV show and we're all still working through it. One of the team does a lot of aero modelling and won't use anything else now, as he says it's the strongest PVA he's found, but is very easy to precisely apply. As he flies scale jet fighters fitted with jet turbine engines, he does get through quite a bit when things go a little wrong...
Many thanks for OcCre recommendations, Super Phatic! does have some negative feedback, including remaining flexible, and "going off" in less than 12 months, it looks like it could be speedbond.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've tried single surface and it seems to work well, but I've not used it it much, I bought it for some model buildings I recently acquired