North Pilton Works Signal Box

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, why do I want a signal box - I don't really, but I bought this kit at the Peterborough show as a substitute for a Pola building I'd seen in their listings.

The kit is £36 against the Pola building at £58 (£48 at Glendale Junction) and I bought a set of benches for £4.80 as opposed to Pola benches at £13.50 (at Glendale) - that's a whopping 30% saving.

You get an awful lot of kit for your money.

If you want a signal box, it comes with an additional raised floor, a working 8-lever frame, a desk, two chairs, a telephone, a stove and a lighting kit. Not bad :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I wanted a refreshment building at the end of the platform, and am planning on Sadie's Sodas - so I don't want the raised floor or the lever frame.

The kits don't fall together in 5 minutes, but a bit of care and time is well rewarded.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think it's a game of two halves.

The key for wooden buildings out of doors is to get the painting right, so that the entire woodwork is protected. However, I'm using a waterproof wood glue (Titebond 2) and that works best gluing wood to wood.

So, I think I'm going to glue the interior detail in place, then paint the interior, after that I'll fix the roof and paint the inside of that.

Then we'll paint the outside, and glue in the glazing.

Progress so far

PICT0002.JPG PICT0003.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good - it will be interesting to see how the ply holds up outside.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good - it will be interesting to see how the ply holds up outside.
That's the bit - the essential thing is to get the paint soaking in, and completely covering.

The instructions suggest a thinned coat of external gloss, but I have some weathershield primer/preservative left over, and I'm tempted to use that as a first coat.

I'm not keen on using weathershield top cost as it's very thick and viscous, and I'll lose the laser etched detailing - so still thinking about the top coats :wondering::wondering::wondering:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
That's the bit - the essential thing is to get the paint soaking in, and completely covering.

The instructions suggest a thinned coat of external gloss, but I have some weathershield primer/preservative left over, and I'm tempted to use that as a first coat.

I'm not keen on using weathershield top cost as it's very thick and viscous, and I'll lose the laser etched detailing - so still thinking about the top coats :wondering::wondering::wondering:

Looks an interesting kit - got any dimensions?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Looks an interesting kit - got any dimensions?
Approx 160 mm x 120 mm on plan with a little bit of eaves overhang to come.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That sounds a little small??
10 ft x 7ft 6 ins in 16mm:1ft

However, as the other buildings are 1:22.5 on a 15mm:1ft railroad...................

.............my head hurts o_Oo_Oo_O

But it'll look OK - trust me :D:D:D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've sealed wood with rattle cans in several light coats, using up tins of colours I'm not likely to use much.
I like the thinking :rock::rock::rock::rock:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
They do look good in orange ;)
I rather fancied yellow - with pink signwriting on a rooftop board - I may engage SWMBO's assistance for that one

sharrafter wait and see :wait::wait::wait:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've now turned my attention to the benches while I watch paint dry :(:(

I've cut them down in height to suit the reduced scale of my buildings and populace :cool::cool:

PICT0002.JPG

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I've cut them down in height to suit the reduced scale of my buildings and populace :cool::cool:

Damn, I wish I had thought of that instead of cutting and packing the legs of all my figures to make them longer.......

David

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Progress

PICT0002-001.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
and a bit more..........:nod::nod:

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Can u lenghten my legs please ..

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Don't know about lengthen legs Mike but if you drink lots of JD you'll get leg less!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Don't know about lengthen legs Mike but if you drink lots of JD you'll get leg less!
Now, while i have been using every means possible ever known to man to seal the plywood, I haven't resorted to whisky yet - not sure about long term resilience to weather.

I have used:

• a good preservative primer
  • plenty of paint (without filing in the laser etched detail
  • loads of paint in the nooks and crannies
  • brush painted varnish for the laser etched details, and any obvious holes
  • top coat of spray Simoniz clear lacquer - LACQUER not LIQOUR :shake::shake:

Now all we have to do is wait and see what mother nature does - I could be tempted to bring it indoors over winter :think::think:

I'm still finishing it off - be ready in two or three days - then have to agree the precise siting - I wanted it with windows facing the road, and back to the track - very western, very proper, but Green River shanty town is generally viewed from the side that would be trackside and thus backside

Still thinking :wasntme::wasntme::wasntme::wasntme::wasntme::wasntme::wasntme::wasntme:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user