"Granddad! You've broke it!" :eek::(

Reactions: 1 user

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Best answers
:D That's probably what he'd say here, yes...

OK, so thanks to everyone's help I now have a motor block sans decoder, waiting patiently for something to replace it...

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
While you're waiting for whatever RC gear you're getting, Clive, I'd take the skates off the motor block, along with their springs, and put them away in the spares box. Then take the bottom plate off the gearbox, drop out both axles and remove the carbon pickup bullets and their springs from their housings (more for the bits box!). Refit the axles (no need to worry about proper positioning in relation to one another, as you have no cranks or connecting rods on this one), and refit the bottom plate. Your gearbox will now be completely isolated from the track, so all you will have to do to connect your RC gear up to the motor will be to connect the two power feeds from the speed controller to the OUTER two pins on the gearbox, which go direct to the motor terminals.

Jon.

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
Best answers
Well big thanks to young Mr PhilP PhilP for his assistance with providing all the necessaries, and to everyone else for chipping in with advice etc. I don't have my full complement of rechargeables yet, however with the temporary use of some non-rechargeables, I can as of this afternoon pronounce the operation was successful!

The precise location for switches etc still to be finalised, but we've proved it works for now.

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent and successful test run, Clive! I assume it's just running on manual control at the moment, RC to be fitted later....?

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well big thanks to young Mr PhilP PhilP for his assistance with providing all the necessaries, and to everyone else for chipping in with advice etc. I don't have my full complement of rechargeables yet, however with the temporary use of some non-rechargeables, I can as of this afternoon pronounce the operation was successful!

The precise location for switches etc still to be finalised, but we've proved it works for now.
Very good start, welcome to the dark art of Battery Control.

Lots of options for RC fitting. I have used Aristocraft Revolution, Fosworks (formerly Peter Spoerer) and am making tender advances toward Deltang as well via RC Trains.

Sound courtesy of My Loco Sound, not the best but Steam redily available as well as Diesel. Brian Jones does very good sound systems for Diesels, I have a 37 in my Wizy Cranks but not the easiest to set up as the Horn required fitting of a Relay to get it working.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well done Clive..

Of course, you do realise once you get something running, the work-output building the layout reduces dramatically? ;):(:nod::nod:

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
Best answers
... am making tender advances toward Deltang as well ...

Sound courtesy of My Loco Sound, not the best but Steam redily available as well as Diesel. Brian Jones does very good sound systems for Diesels, I have a 37 in my Wizy Cranks but not the easiest to set up as the Horn required fitting of a Relay to get it working.

I am also leaning towards Deltang. Now you mention it, I quite like the idea of sound; given the amount of room still available in the shorter end of the loco I imagine a speaker plus associated circuitry wouldn't present too major a problem.

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
Best answers
Well done Clive..

Of course, you do realise once you get something running, the work-output building the layout reduces dramatically? ;):(:nod::nod:

Thanks Phil, and thanks again for your help. I promise I'll just have one full circuit... oh and maybe one with some wagons in tow... oh and one more to capture a cab view...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am also leaning towards Deltang. Now you mention it, I quite like the idea of sound; given the amount of room still available in the shorter end of the loco I imagine a speaker plus associated circuitry wouldn't present too major a problem.
People have managed Stainz with all gear so you should be ok with your diesel, though whatever size it always appears to be a bit of a shoe horn job.