Converting the Ferrocarril Val de Martyn to Spanified RC & Battery.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Forgive the self-indulgence, creating a thread to show off my lack of talent! That said, maybe someone wishing to do something similar might learn from my experience.

A visit to the DunnyBahn last year, to assist working a day's timetable, convinced me that my own garden railway needed to move from track power to battery and radio control, to enhance the operating potential and save my knees, getting down to clean the track. I had always wanted to go beyond basic DC analogue one day, though DCC looked too complicated and expensive. Having the chance to experience hands-on, RC operation with batteries, made the conversion option much less intimidating.

That said, it was not an easy decision. The averaged cost of conversion was about the same again as I had paid for each loco, and was effectively written off immediately, as my bodging would do nothing to add to the residual worth. But hey - it's my principal hobby after all.

Fortunately an opportunity arose to embark on the project with the encashment of a very small and almost forgotten pension. I liked (and almost understood) the Fosworks kit John showed me, and it made sense to standardise components and design for the whole fleet. I took the plunge and orders were placed. It helps too, that Steve Foster is approachable and generous with advice to newbies.

This thread will provide an account of how I get on, as there are ultimately at least ten motorised models to convert for my fictional line with a Spanish theme, and I've never before attempted anything like it.

phase1_teamphoto.jpg
To mark the half way point in the project, four of the first phase conversions pose at a wintry El Boixar station

I go for cheap low-end models, secondhand mostly, and as I undertook the conversions, I've also been attempting differing levels of makeover, to give them a vaguely Spanish appearance, though I never model actual prototypes. I'm also slow and have low standards, which helps!

To begin, I needed to obtain the basic common bits of kit required to support a mass conversion. The initial investment included a pair of Fosworks Omni Tx4.10R handsets, which can flit between any of the 10 locos, with up to 12 functions plus forward/reverse speed control. All but one of my fleet is simple out of the box analogue and so I use mostly the first 6 sound functions, but I have one token clever machine already equipped for DCC and with a fancy sound card and so I required the handsets to cope with that too. I also shelled out on a Fosworks remote handset, to allow re-programming of the sound in an installed loco, as Dra Estrecha objected to my pinching the bedroom TV remote.

common_components.jpg

In addition to the necessary common support components, as a retired logistician, I was more or less obliged to invest also in a smart new 'small parts store' for my electronics bits. I assemble all the parts and accessories required for each loco in a bag with a checklist - a useful discipline when sourcing widely over several weeks.

Lithium horror stories influenced my decision to standardise on old fashioned NiMH batteries (Fosworks also supplies custom battery packs so I didn't need to learn that skill) and I need just one charger and battery state monitor for the whole fleet. My line is fairly small, speeds are low and I have a short attention span when operating and so I don't need huge battery capacity to run all day. I followed advice to photograph mocked-up packs using old batteries to send the design to be made up.

The only other requirements I wanted were that each loco should have sound (I have understanding neighbours for now, at least) and lighting should not flicker at low speed and stay on when the locos are stationary. My railway, my rules.

Dunnyrail kindly demonstrated the first conversion on a loco I bought from him and then it was back to the bench at home for several months of fun and games as I have been attempting to do the others myself.

I also copied John by creating a database with details of what I was doing to each loco and including a record of use and charging for each battery pack.

The next posts in this thread will document each loco in turn and will appear periodically. The easily bored and those of a nervous disposition should look away now and return to the Coffee Lounge.

Reactions: 2 users

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My first victim was an ancient LGB Gmeinder Bo-Bo (LGB 2051), which I had previously bashed to install LED lighting mounted on internal foamboard bulkheads. It was so old that it had bulbs and prism lighting, but runs nicely with a dozen wagons behind. It was a good loco for a beginner, as there is no issue with room for all the bits and pieces beneath the two engine hoods, more so with the weight removed. The 16xAA battery pack weighs about the same.

At the risk of sounding like a Fosworks advert, I was delighted with the components and their instructions and it all went together pretty easily, with a Cobra ESC-260 controller, FrX22-H receiver and MyLocoSound Universal Diesel soundcard set to nudge stop/start the engine and make brake release sound automatically. Functions 1 and 2 operate long and short two-tone horns, Function 3 a guard's whistle. Fosworks also supplied the necessary wiring loom and ribbon connectors.

gmeinder_planning.jpg
Tentative first steps as it dawns on me just how many bits need to be put together

This was as much of an experiment with my own electronics as anything, and I fiddled about with relays and resistors so I could achieve my goal of directional bi-colour lighting which was independent of motor speed, with the upper headlamp coming on only when running in the appropriate direction. This required splitting the input voltage so the controller uses about 20V for power and sound and the head, tail and cab LED lights run on a constant 7.2V. Railwayscenics is my go-to source for those components, happy to serve orders for a myriad of bits in small quantities. For later locos, I've saved myself some hassle and soldering by using pre-built voltage regulators instead of more of my own iffy circuitry.

Gmeinder_converted (Medium).jpg
Well, I eventually figured out how to squeeze it in

The existing LGB enclosure under the cab took a 50mm 8 ohm speaker with sponge at the mounting points to avoid rattle, and I put the rubber capped power switch and charging socket alongside, beneath the cab where the original LGB slide switch used to be, though this is not the most accessible of locations. I fitted the sound card remote IR receiver next to the cab steps, where is is barely noticeable.
gmeindercoaltrain.jpg
Unlike me, it performs very well for its age

The loco's original red has been replaced by a mock-Spanish livery inspired by RENFE's bright green with yellow pinstripe, which I think suits it, but then I would say that, wouldn't I? And the initial slow speed performance over tight pointwork and grubby track was vindication of the decision to convert. I was off to a good start.

In the next episode, Spremberger surgery.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, it's worth taking those skates off now, Martyn :):):)

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Another bash in the first phase of the transformation of my loco fleet is this LGB20761 'Spremberger'. I obtained this second hand, as usual, though I suppose it had come from a starter set and had had little use. It was never fond of track power outside and R1 turnouts.

This bash was a practice for the Piko BR80, and required less work to disguise some of the obvious Germanic features, and I was fortunate to have a quick look at someone else's RC/battery conversion before I started, which indicated that the quirky tallness of the loco gives just enough room inside for all the bits.
CabRoofAnd SidesModified.jpg
The Germanic cab was modified, with a new roof, altered sides and porthole windows

I converted it my way, rather than copying others, so the slide switches for power and original smoke generator are concealed under the lids to the coal bunker, where I also placed the charging socket too. Fosworks supplied the battery pack (12 x 1.6V NiMH 950mAh AAA), the ESC-260 controller and MCS-1 sub-controller to give all 6 sound functions, RX-22H and partial loom, and the MyLocoSound Universal Steam sound card. Everything bar the battery is fitted to the loco body and all the original wiring, including basic LGB MTS board, were discarded.

LGBElectricsDiscarded.jpg
All the original LGB electrics were replaced rather than modified

As usual, I wanted constant red/white directional lighting by bi-colour LED and so my own components (DPDT relay, resistor board, regulators to step down voltage to both loco and smoke unit) are squeezed in there too, along with a Fosworks 8 ohm laptop speaker inside the cab roof.

The cab required some work to fill the old power bus socket, alter the side window arrangement, remove the visors, make the front and back windows circular and soften the roofline with a new skin. The new porthole windows are glazed with clear acrylic discs and the ragged edges concealed by GRS cast spectacle rings. The body needed the moulded DR plates ground off, a skill I have now almost learned, but only by being too clumsy, and the spray can Satin Black delights in reminding me by showing up all the iffy bits (that is rainwater drops on the roof below - even my spraying isn't quite that bad!).

SwitchesInBunker.jpg
A bit of extra work but I like having the switches hidden

I added a GRS cast whitemetal headlamp and LED (with LGB lens and bezel), to which were added numberplates kindly supplied by David Goldsworthy, he of dreadful pun fame on this forum. A GRS brass safety valve helps to relieve the blackness. Inside, the cab is crewed by a Clavey driver and Bachmann fireman (both recovering from some Dremel surgery) and has a cab lamp plus LEDs for orange glow and flicker.

crew_surgery.jpg
Crew surgery in progress

Yet to add are the etched brass lamp and buffer details and new nameplate and I'll inevitably feel the need to dirty it up a smidgen. Funny little loco it is, but great to be able to have it working on my railway at last, now that it is not so finicky about track and points.

AlmostSpanified.jpg
Just needing some final detailing, it is looking a bit less German now

Last edited:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Glad to see you have made use of the number plates.

David

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Glad to see you have made use of the number plates.

David
They look good - I did put a donation in the PP fund (hope it found you) :) I've ordered some nameplates etc from the supplier you mentioned, which will amuse the grandkids.

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The Bo-Bo livery looks very smart indeed.

I have two Sprembergers, the earlier 2075 version, and love their chunky, powerful look, ideal for their role as principal locos in what will be the Glaven Ports Authority line. However, I have had no problems with them over R1 curves nor with points. Look forward to seeing the end result of your labours.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wish I had thought of using the coal tanks for my Spremberger to fit the switch, I reckon I would have tried the charge socket in the same place or the other one. We can all learn a new trick or two!

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Piko's General Electric 25 tonner has come in for the conversion treatment. A tiny number of small GE locos were to be found in Spain and so this meets my 'plausibility rather than authenticity' criterion, for a place in the FVM's fleet. A slightly bigger prototype survives in the Asturian railway museum in Girona.

Well, this little chap proved more of a challenge than I had anticipated! I had read up an old thread on here, taken a close look at the Dunnyrail conversion of a similar Piko switcher, and was fairly confident my almost new battery powered Piko GE25 ton Track Cleaner would be relatively simple to convert to RC etc.

ge_before&after.jpg
Before and after stuffing with electrics

Murphy's Law that I bought it for track cleaning only a couple of months before deciding to abandon track power - it would have been simpler and cheaper to convert a basic analogue version. The original model was powered by half a dozen domestic AA batteries and had a simple forward-off-reverse slide switch under the cab, now replaced by just an on-off in the same place.

I think I became a bit cocky, determined to accommodate all the components without adding volume to the body or filling the cab. And it took a silly amount of fettling to achieve this. I almost managed it, with just the sound card having to be put in a partial false floor in the cab and resorting in exasperation to a drastic slicing the top off the motor block to gain those last few millimetres!

ge_cab.jpg
The sound card housing is shown on the right and is pretty much invisible when the cab is assembled; mock GE controls shown on the left

Once again, I've stuffed in all the usual Fosworks bits - an 8 x AAA NiMH battery pack, RX-22V receiver, ESC-165 plus MCS-1 for control and full sound functionality, a MyLocoSound Light Diesel sound card with the correct sounds for the loco, and charging socket in the rear of the cab. The fuse is accessible via the original lift-off radiator grille.

ge_layers.jpg
The electrics were installed in layers, to optimise space; my relay and resistors are beneath the controller board

I retained some of the Piko boards, including the one in the cab roof, which has built-in LED headlamps and an enclosure for a 30mm 8 ohm speaker. My habitual bi-colour red/white LEDs for constant directional lighting I fitted in the chassis, in the places where the moulding indicated you could put standard gauge buffers. This meant fabricating some central buffers from plant plug holders and oddments, to fit in with my railway, and adding a resin brake hose each end. It also meant having to find space for the voltage regulator, DPDT relay and various resistors. And just about every connector needed to be extended in order to join everything up: so much wire, so little room.

ge_cab_roof.jpg
The Piko cab roof has space inside for a 30mm speaker

Having managed to keep the cab fairly clear, I made a GE-style seat and controls from watching a YouTube video of a preserved US loco, producing the dashboard by photo-manipulating a freeze-frame screenshot picture.

ge_controls.jpg
Printable controls taken from a screenshot

I did miscalculate the cab headroom though, forgetting Piko's false ceiling, and so the ultra-smart LGB driver now sits at an unfortunately jaunty angle, despite the cruel amputation of his lower legs, but I can't yet bring myself to take it all apart to sort that out. I attached a couple of cut-down storage bins, salvaged from my BR80 bash, to add a little interest to the sideframes.

And the colour! Bit of mistake there, although the 1990s Vauxhall Corsa Mint Green is actually the same-ish shade as Spain's RENFE put on certain mainline locos in the 1950s and 1960s, it was not my best ever choice and the orange peel result of my overenthusiastic spraying will have to be toned down with a touch of light weathering once the numberplates have been added.

ge_posing.jpg
Before cleaning off over-spray and application of weathering and detail, this shows off the directional lighting and centre buffers; inset a preserved RENFE loco at Mora La Nova museum, showing the inspiration for that ghastly colour

In the fiction of my Spanish railway, this is the cherished workhorse loco from Puerto d'Alcanar docks, which is permitted once a day to have a break from shunting coal wagons and take a run up the line with its Clavey Models shunter figure, to swap out the cistern wagons at the CAMPSA fuel depot, so it will make brief appearances rather than go round and round, offending the eye for prolonged periods! Probably just as well as the tiny battery capacity is going to be tested by all those extra lights and electronics - all part of gaining experience.

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Piko's General Electric 25 tonner has come in for the conversion treatment. A tiny number of small GE locos were to be found in Spain and so this meets my 'plausibility rather than authenticity' criterion, for a place in the FVM's fleet. A slightly bigger prototype survives in the Asturian railway museum in Girona.

Well, this little chap proved more of a challenge than I had anticipated! I had read up an old thread on here, taken a close look at the Dunnyrail conversion of a similar Piko switcher, and was fairly confident my almost new battery powered Piko GE25 ton Track Cleaner would be relatively simple to convert to RC etc.

View attachment 307601
Before and after stuffing with electrics

Murphy's Law that I bought it for track cleaning only a couple of months before deciding to abandon track power - it would have been simpler and cheaper to convert a basic analogue version. The original model was powered by half a dozen domestic AA batteries and had a simple forward-off-reverse slide switch under the cab, now replaced by just an on-off in the same place.

I think I became a bit cocky, determined to accommodate all the components without adding volume to the body or filling the cab. And it took a silly amount of fettling to achieve this. I almost managed it, with just the sound card having to be put in a partial false floor in the cab and resorting in exasperation to a drastic slicing the top off the motor block to gain those last few millimetres!

View attachment 307602
The sound card housing is shown on the right and is pretty much invisible when the cab is assembled; mock GE controls shown on the left

Once again, I've stuffed in all the usual Fosworks bits - an 8 x AAA NiMH battery pack, RX-22V receiver, ESC-165 plus MCS-1 for control and full sound functionality, a MyLocoSound Light Diesel sound card with the correct sounds for the loco, and charging socket in the rear of the cab. The fuse is accessible via the original lift-off radiator grille.

View attachment 307603
The electrics were installed in layers, to optimise space; my relay and resistors are beneath the controller board

I retained some of the Piko boards, including the one in the cab roof, which has built-in LED headlamps and an enclosure for a 30mm 8 ohm speaker. My habitual bi-colour red/white LEDs for constant directional lighting I fitted in the chassis, in the places where the moulding indicated you could put standard gauge buffers. This meant fabricating some central buffers from plant plug holders and oddments, to fit in with my railway, and adding a resin brake hose each end. It also meant having to find space for the voltage regulator, DPDT relay and various resistors. And just about every connector needed to be extended in order to join everything up: so much wire, so little room.

View attachment 307604
The Piko cab roof has space inside for a 30mm speaker

Having managed to keep the cab fairly clear, I made a GE-style seat and controls from watching a YouTube video of a preserved US loco, producing the dashboard by photo-manipulating a freeze-frame screenshot picture.

View attachment 307605
Printable controls taken from a screenshot

I did miscalculate the cab headroom though, forgetting Piko's false ceiling, and so the ultra-smart LGB driver now sits at an unfortunately jaunty angle, despite the cruel amputation of his lower legs, but I can't yet bring myself to take it all apart to sort that out. I attached a couple of cut-down storage bins, salvaged from my BR80 bash, to add a little interest to the sideframes.

And the colour! Bit of mistake there, although the 1990s Vauxhall Corsa Mint Green is actually the same-ish shade as Spain's RENFE put on certain mainline locos in the 1950s and 1960s, it was not my best ever choice and the orange peel result of my overenthusiastic spraying will have to be toned down with a touch of light weathering once the numberplates have been added.

View attachment 307606
Before cleaning off over-spray and application of weathering and detail, this shows off the directional lighting and centre buffers; inset a preserved RENFE loco at Mora La Nova museum, showing the inspiration for that ghastly colour

In the fiction of my Spanish railway, this is the cherished workhorse loco from Puerto d'Alcanar docks, which is permitted once a day to have a break from shunting coal wagons and take a run up the line with its Clavey Models shunter figure, to swap out the cistern wagons at the CAMPSA fuel depot, so it will make brief appearances rather than go round and round, offending the eye for prolonged periods! Probably just as well as the tiny battery capacity is going to be tested by all those extra lights and electronics - all part of gaining experience.
Wow Martyn, I thought I had reached the limit with my 25tonner. But you have managed a trick or two extra that eluded me. But yes I do agree that livery is garish. I seam to remember a view of it somewhere back on one of my visits to Spain, certainly on the leccy type you show now preserved.

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Another one done, complete with a 30second video, to prove it works :D .

My first LGB loco, an analog 2090, secondhand 20 odd years ago, originally orange with no lights. Now converted to my usual formula - Fosworks kit, MyLocoSound sound card (in fact the Railbus card, which I didn't like enough to put in an actual railbus but which splutters nicely in this). Removing the weight and grinding out all the internal fillets gave enough room for a 10xAA battery pack, all the usual RC stuff and my own relay, circuit board, buck converter set to 8V for the directional lighting, with a laptop speaker mounted inside the cab. And yes, I did forget to clear the track first.
LGB 2090 0-4-0 Köf Shunter.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Great thread of your work Martyn, viaEstrecha viaEstrecha . Oh if you wish to bring any of your locs tomorrow please do, they are welcome to try a turn in the timetable. Just remember to make sure they are fully charged!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic thread...