Simple battery set up with Piko rc and mylocosound

Harry W

Registered
21 Apr 2018
South Gloucestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm currently attempting to construct a battery powered loco for the first time. My plan is to use the Piko rc system (35040) with mylocosound and a li-on battery used for cctv cameras. Because I'm not very good with electronics I want to keep it as simple as possible. My plan is to wire it up like in the attached diagram but instead of sending the wires from Piko rc to the battery/ switch/ charge socket / fuse arrangement, the wires from V1+ and V2 will go directly into this battery using the same type of socket that is used for the charger (Safari Drives 12V DC 30W 81.6Wh 6800mah Rechargeable Lithium Ion, Li-ion Portable Battery Pack, Power Bank for CCTV Cameras, LED Strips and more. With UK Plug Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo). This way in order to charge the battery all I would need to do is unplug the battery from the loco and charge it with the supplied charger. Sorry if this has not been explained too clearly. Are there any reasons that this set up would not work?

Thanks,
Harry

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 12.39.16.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 12.39.16.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That should be fine..

However, absolute minimum, fit a fuse.
Preferably a switch as well.

Your battery pack is enormous (for the power you will need) and lithium batteries can supply many, many Amps. - Enough to fry your electronics, and make the wiring too hot to unplug.

A 2Amp fuse will be more than enough.

PhilP

Harry W

Registered
21 Apr 2018
South Gloucestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Okay thanks I'll do that. I think the Piko rc comes with a switch so I will include that in the setup.

Harry

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
One further point is to NOT turn the battery charger in till you have plugged it in. I have blown loco fuses by having the charger on when plugging it in.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
There is one very minor anomaly about the Piko receiver when used with MyLocoSound. When you switch on the power the soundcard will not immediately wake up. You have to press the transmitter accelerate button once and the soundcard will wake up.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There is one very minor anomaly about the Piko receiver when used with MyLocoSound. When you switch on the power the soundcard will not immediately wake up. You have to press the transmitter accelerate button once and the soundcard will wake up.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Yes I have found that but not too much of a problem.
I'm currently attempting to construct a battery powered loco for the first time. My plan is to use the Piko rc system (35040) with mylocosound and a li-on battery used for cctv cameras. Because I'm not very good with electronics I want to keep it as simple as possible. My plan is to wire it up like in the attached diagram but instead of sending the wires from Piko rc to the battery/ switch/ charge socket / fuse arrangement, the wires from V1+ and V2 will go directly into this battery using the same type of socket that is used for the charger (Safari Drives 12V DC 30W 81.6Wh 6800mah Rechargeable Lithium Ion, Li-ion Portable Battery Pack, Power Bank for CCTV Cameras, LED Strips and more. With UK Plug Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo). This way in order to charge the battery all I would need to do is unplug the battery from the loco and charge it with the supplied charger. Sorry if this has not been explained too clearly. Are there any reasons that this set up would not work?

Thanks,
Harry
you may find this thread of help.

Harry W

Registered
21 Apr 2018
South Gloucestershire
Best answers
Country flag

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Ah that’s fine as long as the sound stays on from that point onwards.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, you press the button once to start the sound and then it remains on.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Ah yes unless you have set the MLS for permanent sound. But as you will know Peter it can be set to stop when loco stationary with no movement for a certain period.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Ah yes unless you have set the MLS for permanent sound. But as you will know Peter it can be set to stop when loco stationary with no movement for a certain period.
Correct. You can set the soundcard to go to sleep after one minute of no movement. This is provided for trackpower users. With trackpower, a small battery is needed onboard to keep the sound going when the loco is stationary and there are no volts in the track. By automatically going to sleep after one minute, the support battery retains its charge. When the loco is running at sufficient speed the support battery is automatically recharged from the track supply.

When using battery power there is no reason to have the soundcard automatically go to sleep.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Correct. You can set the soundcard to go to sleep after one minute of no movement. This is provided for trackpower users. With trackpower, a small battery is needed onboard to keep the sound going when the loco is stationary and there are no volts in the track. By automatically going to sleep after one minute, the support battery retains its charge. When the loco is running at sufficient speed the support battery is automatically recharged from the track supply.

When using battery power there is no reason to have the soundcard automatically go to sleep.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Oh I have had one set that way and found it useful on a Pilot that only got limited use during one of my Operating Schedules, thus there can be a use for it in battery situations.