New Railroad Layout

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
It's months in advance, but I'm designing a new railroad since my recent move. The attached design is #7 in about 2 weeks. I'm open to any suggestions/modifications/complete changes anyone can suggest. Slight modifications to the garden edge can be made into the white space. The black is the house.

I'd really love to include a yard or one main station, but I can't figure out where to do it.

Attachments

• New RR Layout.png
    New RR Layout.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 0

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
So far John the only thing that stands out is once you are in the inner loop the only way out is to back up, 2nd thing you have 1 reversing loop but no way to return to the original direction, again without backing up, as far as were to put a yard and station, it sort of depends on were you plan to operate the trains from, fixed or remote. Think about making the inner loop cross over it's self, it gives the illusion of more track than there is, a place for trestles and bridge where track crosses over it's self. I'll see if I can find a diagram that I did some time ago that involved 2 loops and had a Xing switch that tied the 2 loops together and one was able to operate 2 trains with out fear of wrecks, or you could operate a train that would cover both loops with out continuously throwing switches, like when having guests over and were able to talk without being distracted, or better still during "O" beer thirty Bill

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
So far John the only thing that stands out is once you are in the inner loop the only way out is to back up, 2nd thing you have 1 reversing loop but no way to return to the original direction, again without backing up, as far as were to put a yard and station, it sort of depends on were you plan to operate the trains from, fixed or remote. Think about making the inner loop cross over it's self, it gives the illusion of more track than there is, a place for trestles and bridge where track crosses over it's self. I'll see if I can find a diagram that I did some time ago that involved 2 loops and had a Xing switch that tied the 2 loops together and one was able to operate 2 trains with out fear of wrecks, or you could operate a train that would cover both loops with out continuously throwing switches, like when having guests over and were able to talk without being distracted, or better still during "O" beer thirty Bill
Thanks, Bill! I'm running RC so I'll be able to run about with my locos. But, you're right. I meant to fix that switching problem....

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
this will give you and idea of what I was talking about, Bill

Attachments

• new garden layout.pdf
    335.5 KB · Views: 0

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
What is your railway theme? Main line/standard gauge with longs trains where you might want twin track running opposite directions, or meandering single track narrow gauge? BakerJohn BakerJohn makes a good point about operations. Do you want to be the signalman as well as the driver? Do you see yourself setting routes and have train schedules or do you just want to set a train going and watch it over a beer? It is possible to make layouts with sprung points that allow for passing loops and sidings or can be controlled with magnet fitted locos and contact switches, that require no intervention. I think with a bit more background to your intentions you will get better feedback. Also there's no scale on your diagram so it's difficult to see how much space you have to play with, but it looks like quite a lot.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
It is quite a lot, Dave. The house is 25 feet wide, and, as I mentioned, I could expand the left side up, as needed.

I would really like to be able to run operations (i.e. shunting in a yard). But I wont be running detailed routes with schedules.
Unfortunately along the house has to be a simple route since I won't be able to get to it easily. I just had a thought though. I could put a hidden line right up against the house so trains can get from one end to the other without being seen.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Could depend on type of house construction? - I get the idea many properties in the US are raised, with a shallow ?crawl-space? underneath.. :think:

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Could depend on type of house construction? - I get the idea many properties in the US are raised, with a shallow ?crawl-space? underneath.. :think:
Not ours Phil. It's actually partially underground.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
The yard do you want a thru
th
yard

or a set of spur tracks?
th

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Best answers
Country flag
Is the darkened area a walkway ?
Is were you have the crossover in the front?
What area's can you get to?
Is the loop down to the right accessible ?

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Sean,
Either would work. I think a set of spurs would probably fit better though. I've tried to incorporate one and am having a hard time fitting it in a space Im happy with.

The darkened area is a currrent walkway. It can and probably should move. The white space above the layout and to the right is open space. The black is the house, so it'd be harder to get to things that are up against the house. Yes, the loop is accessible, as is the spur that leeds down from said loop.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Best answers
Country flag
Sean,
Either would work. I think a set of spurs would probably fit better though. I've tried to incorporate one and am having a hard time fitting it in a space Im happy with.

The darkened area is a currrent walkway. It can and probably should move. The white space above the layout and to the right is open space. The black is the house, so it'd be harder to get to things that are up against the house. Yes, the loop is accessible, as is the spur that leeds down from said loop.

John how wide of and area is were that spur is , can you put one a yard there ..?
I do have a set of these ..
th

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
This might give you a better idea of what I'm doing, Sean. This is also a new design... probably #10 by now...NEW RR PLAN.png

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Best answers
Country flag
Go with the largest curves that will fit !
Give plenty of clearance between , along side the tracks , do not hug buildings
Try to avoid s curves
To much track makes for a too busy layout , give your self room, go with the addition
What were you going to run Shays , sd70's this will help

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Being you are in the US..
I guess you may want the odd big diesel? - If so, loose the R1's and R2's! - It will end in tears.
Could you get R3+R5+R3 in the top-right of your plan, perhaps?
I would slew those sidings (spurs?) more-vertical. - to be parallel with the outer loop above, and to the right of them.
They do not look to be very long at the moment. This would give potential to extend them, and perhaps create a through-road? This could then head-off up and to the left, and form a loop into the expansion area. ?Phase two? ;)

I believe you have plenty of track? Have an overall idea, but break it down, so you can get 'something' running early on.
Will you be able to get some track down before the weather makes it unpleasant to be outside?

Do you have somewhere you can run trains into for (secure) storage, or do you have to carry everything in and out, each time?

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Unfortunately Phil, I have to carry everything in and out. But that's easier now than it was before I moved. Since ultimately you're both advocating for expansion area I've done yet another design....
In terms of running, yes, I would like to be able to run a couple larger US-line diesels eventually. Realistically, I don't think that will be any time soon. For now, I have my Forney, my TTTE Toby and am hoping to get Piko's new 25 Ton switcher when it comes out end of next month. (Providence & Worcester RR has one numbered 150, so I'll repaint to model that loco.)

Note a few changes:
There is a grade on the inner loop; not the return loop, the next one bigger.
This layout allows for 2 trains to be run at the same time, plus switching operations in the yard.
The added water is gutter drains. They should have been there before. Thus, I have a small bridge over either drain. I'll make a little drain ditch to direct the water away from the house and any sensitive right of way.
This design does not use anything smaller than an R2. The inner loop is ALL R3 or R5. So, I could run a bigger loco at least on that circuit. Unfortunately I just can't fit anything larger in the bottom right or top right corner.

Attachments

• New RR_11.png
    New RR_11.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 0

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
get rid of the hump under 495
If that's all ya got for me, Sean, then I must be getting better at this. I'd had that because I'm using Piko's curved points at each end of the yard. But, I found a way to use an R3 point. That does look better.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good to me..
Agree with Sean.. Parallel running looks better. - You can have a meandering single line, but unless there is a natural obstruction, keep 'em parallel. :)

Right.. Weekend coming-up.. Expect finished article pictures, Monday then John. :think:;)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: