New LGB R3 point quality control issue

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting ...does anyone know where the offending points were made. Was the manufacturing location recently changed? Things like this often happen when a change in manufacturing takes place. Most often its when it moves factory to factory but can also happen switching countries but could also be bad set up on new machines, even in the factory that been home for decades this can happen. Be interesting to hear their side. If I can remember I will try to ask next weekend at the Southwest Garden RR show next weekend if anyone shows at there booth.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
I came across this on a German forum:

"Das Problem ist schon seit über einem Jahr bekannt, und wurde auf dem Stammtisch West auch schon da diskutiert. Je nach linker oder Rechter Weiche ist das Problem ausgeprägter. Selbst bei Reklamationen bekommt man von LGB nichts besseres zurück."

--> The problem already occured more than a year ago, and was yet discussed on "Stammtisch West" (another German forum). There is a difference between left and right switches, left ones have more problems. Since this problem has been discussed and forwarded to Märklin/LGB, these switches are still being sold.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
always windered there the law stands on something. These points still had made in Germany molded on them, and on the box it says Hungury. Is this allowd not moaning just wondered.

and has been noted Piko has been 'bashed' on the thread about their points.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
hornbeam said:
always windered there the law stands on something. These points still had made in Germany molded on them, and on the box it says Hungury. Is this allowd not moaning just wondered.
and has been noted Piko has been 'bashed' on the thread about their points.

section 36 of the Trade Descriptions Act 1968:​
(for the purposes of the Act) "goods shall be deemed to have been manufactured or produced in the country in which they last ubderwent a treatment or process resulting in a substantial change"​

For more detailed info, see: http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file8134.pdf

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Deutsche Reichsbahn said:

"Das Problem ist schon seit über einem Jahr bekannt, und wurde auf dem Stammtisch West auch schon da diskutiert. Je nach linker oder Rechter Weiche ist das Problem ausgeprägter. Selbst bei Reklamationen bekommt man von LGB nichts besseres zurück."

--> The problem already occured more than a year ago, and was yet discussed on "Stammtisch West" (another German forum). There is a difference between left and right switches, left ones have more problems. Since this problem has been discussed and forwarded to Märklin/LGB, these switches are still being sold.

Hi DR. I think your translation is slightly incorrect. As I read it, the last sentence is "Even when representations have been made to LGB, nothing better has been forthcoming".
Can you provide a link to the Forum where you found the quotation, or, better still, to Stammtisch West?

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
The translation is more like this: "Even when you complain, you will not get any better (product) in return from LGB"
Which indicates that there is only the bad version of the switch available from LGB.

This is bad, I need a whole bunch of R3 points, I guess I can use the Piko one and use the LGB motor with it. They are compatible right?

I see that where I live it is cheaper to buy the Piko R5 (which is almost the same as LGB R3) and the LGB switch motor than buying the LGB R3 which includes the motor.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Loco said:
I guess I can use the Piko one and use the LGB motor with it. They are compatible right?
Yes - completely interchangeable. Be aware that the Piko R5 points have problems too (at least on one batch supplied to the UK).

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Well if Accucraft is reading this lets hope you get your points right, and Bachmann too.

Was talking to GRS the other week and they were saying LGB sales were on the up again ( still below what they were but that could be said that about any product at the moment) because of a few price cuts and that people thought quality was getting better again and parts are being made available once more. Im not sure if i like, if its ture, the fact they are doing nothing about it just like Piko but we shall see. lets hope this all gets sorted out.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Loco said:
This is bad, I need a whole bunch of R3 points, ........
One possibility could be to purchase from Grootspoor and get them to check and rectify if required before dispatch.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
whatlep said:

Hi DR. I think your translation is slightly incorrect. As I read it, the last sentence is "Even when representations have been made to LGB, nothing better has been forthcoming".
Can you provide a link to the Forum where you found the quotation, or, better still, to Stammtisch West?
Translation might not be 100% correct indeed (my German isn't that good:( ), but the result is the same: disapPOINTment in the shops.

I'll have a look if I can find it at Stammtisch...

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Translation might not be 100% correct indeed (my German isn't that good:( ), but the result is the same: disapPOINTment in the shops.

Your English is FAR too good if you're making jokes like that! :D

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Have to observe - reading this thread - who, in the UK has had this problem with high rails?
It could well be a batch problem that Marklin and Grootpsoor have delt with. If, and I say, if that is so, Marklin are hardly likely to get involved with questions from a UK based website.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
er not me,. just layied 6 lgb r3 points, 2 were brand new, twowere old stock ,2 secondhand..they are fine

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stockers said:
Have to observe - reading this thread - who, in the UK has had this problem with high rails?
It could well be a batch problem that Marklin and Grootpsoor have delt with. If, and I say, if that is so, Marklin are hardly likely to get involved with questions from a UK based website.
If it is a batch problem and fixed, why wouldn't you want to say so, quickly and clearly, in response to any query? Silence means doubts persist.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I see your point (no pun), but accepting there have been a few quality issues your not going to shout it to the world are you.
In a day and age when comments deliberately get misquoted, one is not likely to release any ammo.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stockers said:
I see your point (no pun), but accepting there have been a few quality issues your not going to shout it to the world are you.
In a day and age when comments deliberately get misquoted, one is not likely to release any ammo.
Maybe Piko are taking the same approach then? :thinking::thinking:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
stockers said:
Maybe Piko are taking the same approach then? :thinking::thinking:
Probably. Seems to be the way these days, and not just in the garden railway world. Manufacturers seem deal with bad batches or product runs on the quiet if they only affect a relatively small minority of their customer base.

I suppose it would be a risky business in the current climate to admit there is an issue, no matter how small, unless of course the "issue" is dangerous or life threatening.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I've today (Dec 1st) had a reply from Marklin to my note of Oct 24th (shown in an earlier post on this thread). The contents are shown in their entirety below.
I'll let readers form their own judgement on the value/ content of the response, but it is fair to point out that Marklin have provided a reply to my email, whereas Piko have not responded at all to my email on their points' problems.

Dear Mr. Whatley,

thanks for your question.

When you have such a switch please send this switch directly to the firm of Märklin along with a copy of the sales receipt and a summary of the problem(s) with the product.

Our address:

Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH
Reparatur Service
Stuttgarter Str. 55-57
D-73033 Göppingen / Germany

Sincerely yours,

your account manager
Markus Schurr

Gebr. Maerklin & Cie. GmbH
Customer Service
P.O. Box 960
73009 GOEPPINGEN