New LGB R3 point quality control issue

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
duncan1_9_8_4 said:
have also had a problem with 2 sets of r1 lgb points. the point blade does not fit up against the rail, (has not been filed propely to fit snug on rail) which causes the flange of stock to catch and ride up the blade, thus derailing the train.
That is the same problem which afflicted some of the R3s made in Hungary but embossed Made in Germany on the sleepers.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
For the purposes of creating a level playing field, I have sent LGB (Marklin) a message requesting information about the reports of defective points and providing a link to this forum. I'll post any reply which is received. As GSCers may recall, when Piko were asked to comment on their points' problems, no response was received.

Here is the text of the message sent to LGB:
The UK G-scale forum "G Scale Central" has recently carried reports that recent production of 16150 points have a defect, as pictured by the Netherlands retailer Grootspoor in their October newsletter. The relevant forum thread is here: http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?high=&m=172351&mpage=2#172671
Are you able to provide a statement on this problem and actions in place to remedy, plus the return policy for any defective 16150 items please?
Thank you in advance.
Peter Whatley
(GSC Forum Moderator)

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
though i do admit i find it quite satisfying that LGB is no longer the best for quality............. who'd have thought, LGB, wonder of the garden railway age chucking out shoddy goods. where is the LGB elephant to stand on the points to make them flush. not sure the LGB elephant can help my two r1 points, or my dads one r1 point.

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Cheeky Monkey said:
At least faulty LGB product is getting sorted anyone had a faulty Piko point replaced?
Has anyone returned one?
Mel, not had any need to return any:clap:

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Can't be that difficult to make products that work can it? Nothing in our hobby is that high tech. Piko points have caused issues lgb have and aristro craft have had problems as well. I hope the accucraft ones are good. However on my new layout most of mine will be live steam so I'll be using peco. I'll have to re solder the point rails I'm sure as these tend to fail. I've realised I've sounded grumpy in my previous post and I honestly don't take my hobby that seriously and couldn't care who makes what as long as it works. I just get frustrated with blind brand loyalty.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
who are you calling a farce? :D:D

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Nodrog1826 said:
I can see this starting to degenerate into a farce......

May i suggest that, a defect has been reported, and acted upon by the maker, a return plan is in place,
a note on what to check for if purchasing new, incase they are others out there.

Lets just see what info comes from the manufacturer, in response to the thread link sent to LGB.
Thanks Gordon, though to be precise it is not yet known whether Grootspoor have acted on their own initiative or following a plan from Marklin. Deutsche Reichsbahn has promised to keep us posted on that aspect. A communication from Marklin would clarify too, of course. I hope they'll be more communicative than Piko.

BrianC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Beds/Herts, UK
Best answers
I've had problems with some of the R3 points but can't say for sure when they were bought as I've been buying in small batches over the last 4 years. Haven't had any rail height issues but several have required careful bending and filing of both the tapered end and reshaping of the bottom of the curved section of rail which was preventing full closure. Not an obviously visible problem out of the box but results in occasional derailments with certain locos and rolling stock depending on direction of travel. Since the problems only occur once the point is in operation, it's not practical to return or exchange so in my case I regard it as a challenge similar to real-life railway maintenance. However, if the faults had been as obvious visually as some reports, I'd have expected a replacement. I guess I've been lucky so far and will be careful to inspect any future purchases.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
i do admit i find it quite satisfying that LGB is no longer the best for quality

Why would you find it satisfying that LGB is no longer the best? Seems we can't knock Newqida but it's perfectly acceptable to knock LGB.

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
Lgb: It's ok..
Now go buy some! :rofl::rofl::rofl::D

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
vasim said:
i do admit i find it quite satisfying that LGB is no longer the best for quality

Why would you find it satisfying that LGB is no longer the best? Seems we can't knock Newqida but it's perfectly acceptable to knock LGB.

It's not acceptable to make defamatory comments about any manufacturer and the post which used abusive language about LGB has been deleted. Objective statements about product quality are welcome, especially if backed up with photo evidence.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
J2s said:
<sound of German drinking song complete with clinking steins>
OK....I love my new LGB R3s they are a perfect example of Germanys superior engineering skills and well worth all the hard earned cash I paid for them. How I marvel at their high quality and obvious robustness.
</sound of german drinking song complete with clinking steins>

Will that do?
Certainly. Any objective, polite description of the condition of a purchase - be it good, bad or indifferent - is welcome, as per my previous post.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
I haven't seen any actions from BigTrainWorld or any other shops yet, so I guess it must be Grootspoor's iniative.

Peter, you haven't got a reply from Märklin I assume?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Deutsche Reichsbahn said:
I haven't seen any actions from BigTrainWorld or any other shops yet, so I guess it must be Grootspoor's iniative.

No response from Marklin so far, nor any mention of the issue on their web site. :thumbdown:

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
whatlep said:

No response from Marklin so far, nor any mention of the issue on their web site. :thumbdown:
Although I expected that, still such a shame... :thumbdown:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
whatlep said:

Yes, very disappointing.
Whether it's G scale or something else, I can forgive a company that makes a mess of something, admits their error and has a "get well" plan - we all make mistakes once in a while. Producing something which is clearly wrong and leaving it to the customer and long-suffering retailers to sort out I find really annoying, irrespective of price paid or brand name.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Do feel for the retailers in situations like this.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
whatlep said:

Yes, very disappointing.
Whether it's G scale or something else, I can forgive a company that makes a mess of something, admits their error and has a "get well" plan - we all make mistakes once in a while. Producing something which is clearly wrong and leaving it to the customer and long-suffering retailers to sort out I find really annoying, irrespective of price paid or brand name.

Agree. The Philips Senseo recall action (I assume it wasn't only in Holland?) was the best example I've seen so far. Receiving a letter and a cardboard box to put the Senseo in. They picked it up for free, brought it back for free. I was impressed, I have to say.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
As I understand it whatlep has sent emails to both LGB AND PIKO regarding the issues with their points. Neither have yet responded.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Cliff George said:
As I understand it whatlep has sent emails to both LGB AND PIKO regarding the issues with their points. Neither have yet responded.

That is correct, but CheekyMonkey also makes a fair point. Brickbats or bouquets in both directions equally would be appropriate.