New LGB R3 point quality control issue

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
My Dutch is very poor but it would seem from Grootspoor's latest newsletter that there is a problem with LGB's latest production R3 points.
I can't post a link to their latest newsletter that I received by email so I've taken the liberty of pinching a couple of images from it, I hope they have no objection.
In short if you purchase LGB R3 points check the frog/rail hight in the shop before you pay for them. If you use mail order I suggest you ask the vendor to check before posting and send them back by return if they don't bother and the points turn out to be defective.
d9ba9bb6282a42618f25df08108becdf.jpg

e03293d9a2c54e57a44d4d0816246a5a.jpg

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Neil Robinson said:
My Dutch is very poor but it would seem from Grootspoor's latest newsletter that there is a problem with LGB's latest production R3 points.

Oh dear. Looks like the "can't make stuff properly" disease is spreading! :wits:
Good tip Neil.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Not good. Looks like a problem with the chairs, or the profile of the foot of the rail section has changed - there's clearly a gap under the foot of the rail and it's not clamped down properly on the sleeper.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Must have had them made by Piko :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yebbut, in the same newsletter - a Piko 'Hectorail' Taurus for 139 euros :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
READ PLEASE!

It's about LGB 16150 R3 switch

?Bij de laatste productieserie van de 16150 wissel is er een fout opgetreden. De railstaven sluiten niet mooi aan op het hartstuk van de wissel. Hierdoor ontstaat er schade aan de wielen en is er kans op ontsporing. Heeft u een wissel met een dergelijke fout dan kunt u deze bij ons inleveren. ( onafhankelijk van waar u de wissel gekocht heeft, in binnen of buitenland.)?

--> There has been a fault during assembly with the latest production series of LGB 16150 . As you can see on the pictures, the rail is too high compared to the plastic frog. This causes derailments and damage to the wheels. If you have a point with these problems (it doesn't matter where you've bought it), you can send them to Grootspoor and you get a new one.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Deutsche Reichsbahn said:

--> There has been a fault during assembly with the latest production series of LGB 16150 .
Does make you wonder about the factory's quality control inspection. That fault should look pretty obvious I'd have thought?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thank you for the authoritative translation Willem. :clap:

Something gone badly wrong in Marklin's quality assurance function unfortunately. Anyone know if the points are made in Germany or elsewhere?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
at least its been recognised and rectified

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Mike - good on Grootspoor.
Rather better reponse than Piko seemed to give.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
mike said:

Has it? Seems to be a Grootspoor initiative. No information on LGB's website about the problem, much less an apology or information about what to do if you have a rogue 16150.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
whatlep said:
mike said:
Has it? Seems to be a Grootspoor initiative. No information on LGB's website about the problem, much less an apology or information about what to do if you have a rogue 16150.
I don't know if it's Grootspoor initiative, could be. We'll know it for sure when the next newsletter from BigTrainWorld (the other big Dutch shop) arrives. If they talk about it, it's LGB's initiative, if they don't, it's Grootspoor. I'll keep you updated :D

One thing I've noticed too, this kind of news always arrives in Holland and Germany first, and it takes a while before it reaches England (if it does). So maybe your local dealers will notify you about the same actions next week or even later.

Anyway, it's a shame such things can happen.. Very disappointed.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Sign of the times unfortunately........cutting corners to squeeze that last bit of profit.
Look at all the recalls by car makers etc.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
So many big companies operate like this these days and don't integrate with the customer. I had problems with contact strips popping off when they first resumed production. Both points I had were faulty in the box. I had to pay to send them back. Last new LGB I borght. I e mailed lgb twice asking for my postage back never heard back. Never borght new LGB since.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
It amazes me that these companies think that by reducing quality & quality control they will save money. Two things then happen when they do this;
1) the faulty products come back, with either a refund or replacement being required, resulting in either a no sale or actually costing the company the replacement.
2) people go elsewhere. This really costs them, as with no sales it becomes hard to recuperate tooling costs and staff costs.
LGB and Piko, pull your finger out!

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Cm

That would have ment a 100 mile round trip. And besides why should I? The company and product were at fault and I was the one out of pocket. I know you support the brand like it was your own but they, not me were at fault.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Its not a case of supporting any brand. The retailer is the one responsible for what he sells. He gets redress from his supplier. Simple as that.
I do agree though that a 100 mile trip is a bit excessive but that is the cost we all risk in buying on a cost basis.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
The retailer is the one responsible for what he sells.

This is not always the case ..... I bought a new VAX cleaner in January this year. The motor caught fire with only the second use. I returned it to Argos who said I need to get in touch with VAX, not Argos. I argued my case and they pointed to the instruction on the box that all claims are with VAX and not the retailer.
I e-mailed VAX and they sent a new one next day by courier and told me just to throw the old one away, they didn't even want to see it. However, it is strange that I should write this today because the replacement has caught fire exactly the same as the original one just over an hour ago.
I am still in guarantee but I think I will just buy another make and steer clear of VAX. This is not the main cleaner and I only use it for vacuuming corners and curtains.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
vasim said:
The retailer is the one responsible for what he sells.

This is not always the case ..... I bought a new VAX cleaner in January this year. The motor caught fire with only the second use. I returned it to Argos who said I need to get in touch with VAX, not Argos. I argued my case and they pointed to the instruction on the box that all claims are with VAX and not the retailer.
I e-mailed VAX and they sent a new one next day by courier and told me just to throw the old one away, they didn't even want to see it. However, it is strange that I should write this today because the replacement has caught fire exactly the same as the original one just over an hour ago.
I am still in guarantee but I think I will just buy another make and steer clear of VAX. This is not the main cleaner and I only use it for vacuuming corners and curtains.
I recommend that you contact your local fire service (not via 999) and report a "fire all out". They should send an officer round who will do a fire report. These reports are all co-ordinated country wide and pick-up on frequent fires with the same manufacturer's equipment (in the case of vehicles this often leads to re-calls). It's too much of a co-incidence that only your Vax's have caught fire and the manufacturer COULD be accused of wanting to cover something up by telling you to chuck it away.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Cheeky Monkey said:
At least faulty LGB product is getting sorted anyone had a faulty Piko point replaced?
Has anyone returned one?

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
have also had a problem with 2 sets of r1 lgb points. the point blade does not fit up against the rail, (has not been filed propely to fit snug on rail) which causes the flange of stock to catch and ride up the blade, thus derailing the train.