Modifying Bühler replacement motor for LGB 2085D Mallet Locomotive

Gavin Kistner

Registered
13 Dec 2021
Boulder, CO
Best answers
Country flag
I inherited a lovely LGB set from my father, including a 2085D Mallet locomotive he purchased circa 1980. The rear motor on the locomotive died a couple years ago. (Taking it out and pumping high voltage and current through it causes it to turn fitfully, requiring far more DC than it ought to, and smoke (!).) I bought a replacement locomotive at the time, and am now getting around to trying to fix the 2085D.

I purchased a replacement motor and just went to swap it out…and it's not quite right. It's still a Bühler motor, and the body and shaft lengths match, but the motor does not fit correctly in the plastic; the "bumps" on the ends of the motor are 0.5mm and 1.1mm too long, and one of the bumps is just a little bit too wide (unsure if this is an issue). And, the metallic contacts are not in the same spots.

Photos and comparisons follow. My question is: have other people experienced this? Did I buy the wrong motor, or is 40 years too long to get a perfect replacement? I'm hoping I can file down the motor bumps to fit; have you done this? If necessary after I get it physically in place I may have to solder in a very short jumper wire to make the electrical connection.

ComparisonDiagram.jpg
BothBühler.jpg
OldMotorRear.jpg
NewMotorRear.jpg
OldMotorFront.jpg
NewMotorFront.jpg
ContactsOffset.jpg
NoAlignmentPin.jpg

Last edited:

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
There should be a plastic addition (that acts as the alignment pin) loose in the packet with the motor.

Gavin Kistner

Registered
13 Dec 2021
Boulder, CO
Best answers
Country flag
There should be a plastic addition (that acts as the alignment pin) loose in the packet with the motor.
That's helpful at least, thanks!
On another forum they say that it's a known issue that the motors are too long, and I have to mill/lathe/grind them down. :eek:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Gavin. You've made a good start with your pictures. Pictures say a 1000 words.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, the alignment piece with the pin is missing and should have come with the new motor.