Modern Darjeeling (DHR) coach information needed

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I have just bought 3 of Peter Yatton's rather fine modern DHR coach kits. Little problem - It does not matter what search parameters I use I cannot find any useful pictorial information to nail down suitable exterior naming and numbering. Loads on pictures of all the loco's out there but collectively all the cameras that have taken pictures of modern DHR trains have overshot their depth of field by the time they reach the attendant coaches, if you see what I mean.

So here are the coaches - 1 x Jodhpur 2nd class, 1 x Dining car, 1 x Observation. Just to get a fix on the era -

Jodhpur coach.jpgDining car.jpgKalka Observation.jpg

A suggestion was made that I find a copy of Iron Sherpa vol 2. I think we can see the problem here. I did buy David Charlesworth;s Darjeeling Railways in Pictures to go with my copy of The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. But as mentioned above the focus is mainly on the locos, not stock. Very frustrating. I will be using a mix of IP's Dickie's Decals modern DHR items and BECC vinyl lettering and lining. Hoping there is a kind soul out there with the necessary information. Max

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have just bought 3 of Peter Yatton's rather fine modern DHR coach kits. Little problem - It does not matter what search parameters I use I cannot find any useful pictorial information to nail down suitable exterior naming and numbering. Loads on pictures of all the loco's out there but collectively all the cameras that have taken pictures of modern DHR trains have overshot their depth of field by the time they reach the attendant coaches, if you see what I mean.

So here are the coaches - 1 x Jodhpur 2nd class, 1 x Dining car, 1 x Observation. Just to get a fix on the era -

View attachment 276174View attachment 276175View attachment 276176

A suggestion was made that I find a copy of Iron Sherpa vol 2. I think we can see the problem here. I did buy David Charlesworth;s Darjeeling Railways in Pictures to go with my copy of The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. But as mentioned above the focus is mainly on the locos, not stock. Very frustrating. I will be using a mix of IP's Dickie's Decals modern DHR items and BECC vinyl lettering and lining. Hoping there is a kind soul out there with the necessary information. Max
Hm you are in a really tricky area. I have had a look at my book Halfway to Heaven which I think is a little older than the the Iron books. One of the quotes in my book is ’Five variations of the stock built at Jodhpur illustrate the complexity of categorising the ever-changing design......’ Looking at the pictures in the book the only two that are recognisable are the non observation pair in your pictures. For these 114,115,118 appear to be in the frame but they all have much more prominent window frames, 118’s being very large aluminum ones. The observation one does not show in my book at all so is perhaps a newer conversion. I wonder if perhaps the DHR Society if approached may have some more knowledge to help you, though I expect they may blag you into joining the society!

It also has to be said that in many circles only chuffers get the research thatbis of much help to us, many of the othervthings like rolling stock, station buildings and layouts get scant attention by means of pictures of what happens to be in the chuffer pics. There are those that do the lot but they are fewer than the chuffer nuts.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
I think I got most of the info for my 2 coaches from YouTube vids, the letters and numbers I had made by a local van sign shop and managed to get some car lining tape from a motorist discount shop. I will try and find some pics and post later. Alternatively, speak to Peter, he has a wealth of knowledge on the stock. Dave

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag