matt black for oil wagons.

green park

Registered
25 Sep 2013
Best answers
i picked up these two oil wagons at the toy fair for bargain price as the guy said they have no brake gear and the transfers are rubbish! well i am not bothered about the brake gear and straight away i had visions of them in BP black, so i stripped all the yellow paint, transfer lettering and dollops of varnish off ready for respraying. i usually use off the shelf spraycans for non critical things like wagons and luckily found some in poundland that seem to work ok. i bought three cans but there seems ample in just the one for these two wagons. i might paint the BP logo although transfers should stick ok to this paint as its slightly satin. i dont usually recommend products but these paints seem to work ok and if you only need a small amount, quite a bargain for a pound. will post a pic when they are done. (if they look ok...;-)... martin

Attachments

• oilwagons.jpg
    oilwagons.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 91
  • spraycans.jpg
    spraycans.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 58

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I only ever seem to find gloss red, white, and black in the pound-shops I visit!
:( ;) :D

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
I only ever seem to find gloss red, white, and black in the pound-shops I visit!
:( ;) :D

Phil, I have found the odd celheepo sort of DIY High Street outlet (well they dabble in all sorts including DIY) that does Matt Black, but has not been the best quality so only gets used for dirtying track where Locomotives would Stop.

However of you have a Halfords nearby they do excellent Matt Paints. Black, Grey and a Red Primer are all superb colours for our uses. The red Primer particularly for wagons. Not the cheapest I know, but well worth it if you take into account the investment that you have made in your Trains.

Another resource can be Car Parts Shops, but again I have found the quality of some Rattle Cans to be inferior to the Halfords ones. Though perversely their Gloss Colours should you need them can be very good.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have also wondered whether the 'pound shop' cans are actually a saving?? - They seem to have very little actual paint in them!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
I have also wondered whether the 'pound shop' cans are actually a saving?? - They seem to have very little actual paint in them!

Good point Phil.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Further to my earlier post re Halfords. I usually buy the 500ml Rattle Cans. Today I noticed in my Lidl Baufix 400mm Rattle Cans with the 3 Prime Matt Colours at £2.49. Much better value than Halfords. I have not tried the Baufix as yet. Nor will I as I have some Halfords under use. However the Baufix Stuff that I have tried to date has all been of excellent quality.

P.S. It might just be worth looking at the stated content of the cheep £1 shop stuff to see just what value it really is compared to the above.
JonD

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
You can get "Eco" refillable aerosol cans that you charge with thinned down paint and pressureise with air....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Tramcar Trev said:
You can get "Eco" refillable aerosol cans that you charge with thinned down paint and pressureise with air....
Then why not go for an airbrush for the added flexibility? :-\

green park

Registered
25 Sep 2013
Best answers
well, i sprayed both wagons with just the one can and its the first time i have had one run out of paint before puff. keeping the can upright i got the last of the poundsworth of paint from it but i reckon theres enuf gas left in there to run a loco for half an hour! shame i dont have one.... i am happy with the quality of it and did not have any runs. not having much luck finding transfers on the net. must be looking in the wrong (railway) type sites. any ideas, anyone please? might have to try and hand paint the logos otherwise... martin

Attachments

• dscn5562.jpg
    dscn5562.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 63

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Why not print them onto Sticky Paper, I use it all the time for Wagon Numbers and Labels. Look for A4 From an online Paper Supplier. You could then use a set of Labels created from Pictures of Names you would like. Who says it has to be Fuel, could be Beer if you like. Your Railway!
JonD

green park

Registered
25 Sep 2013
Best answers
might try that jon, have read some threads about the process and the best decal / transfer papers somewhere. i was planning to do them BP petroleum style, hence the all over black. i will keep the beer containers on the nearby table i think.. :).. next to the tea.. mart

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Have you thought about this stuff?

http://www.photopaperdirect.com/categories/Creative-Paper/Creative-Stickers/

They also list a Matt Fixative that for UV Degradation, this I think might be worth a thought. Have some of both in stock but not yet got round to using them.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with your lettering and labeling. Don't forget the Wagon numbers Tare Weight etc.
JonD

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
GRS have a sheet of transfers for Shell/BP oil tankers. In their G64 range.