REA/Aristocraft Sierra observation coach and combine

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A anachronistic product post, i guess. I have not read too many reviews of these. I hope it is of interest.

Long ago, when i began g scale, i remember having a love/hate for these cars.
There was something slightly garrish , yet charmingly toy-ish, tin plate like, to my eye. Perhaps the brass railings, brass truck springs, oversized details and the foil appliqués.

After decades, i bought a pair, because I think they are unique. I happen to like the Gulf,Colorado and Santa Fe livery. Btw, this was a branch of the Santa Fe RR, in Texas. I believe the livery entirely fictitious, but for me, it is attractive, plausible, and remniscent of Virginia and Truckee, et al.

These early REA versions have a split axel, joined by a plastic sleeve. These do not fare well with time and split. Mine arrived with 4 of the 8 axels broken. I replaced them with lgb ball bearing axels. The original REA electrical brush pick ups have a LOT of drag.

I was attracted to the arched windows, and green glass top panes…the green panes probably entirely fictitious too.

Mine also arrived with most of the combine windows dislodged. I thought non ‘curtain windows’ might look less toy like. I left the observation coach alone, because those windows were still firmly glued, and i gave up.

I show several details, including the observation cars opening gates and lifting platform over the car steps. With a Preiser figure, its clear these are 1;24 but, to my eye, still plausible with LGB 1:22, imho. The car body rods, brass, having working turnbuckles!…go figure. Ill likely paint these black.

They have a wick style, and huge, working smoke stack. Mine smoked well, but the stack wind cover causes the smoke to leave a lot of oil condensation on the roof. As much as i like smoke, I don’t use them.

These cars have separate switches for interior lights, and smokers. Unique to these, as far as i know, are the side wall mounted light fixtures, as opposed to ceiling mounted. Interesting,visually pleasing, but i think they never were used.

They are roughly 2” shorter than the LGB coaches. Smaller knuckles work reliably too. Plastic…id guess styrene, but seem very robust. Probably not as impact resistant as LGB plastics.

I used yellow oxide, an almost perfect match, to paint over the brass plates between the windows, as they were glued with tough old orange adhesive. i assumed these would not come off without issues.I also painted the brass truck springs black, and washed the decades old , but still very bright observation bright brass railings with india ink. I think it helped. I assume those brass plates were design fantasy, as ive never seen any US car with such decorations.

I like the uniqueness, odd detaling, oval pained windows and elaborate clerestory windows especially. These track well, and seem to be a robust build, but for the axels.

85BB0B8E-E427-432A-8740-C6D941FE3CAF.jpeg
6F985D3A-FC5D-4C84-B0A4-D6E162DA5C73.jpeg4EE0E334-38E9-465E-B72D-9C31F73F0606.jpegE465DA3D-BE9A-444A-9563-73DA3AEF5BAB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A few more pics.

If you like this type of model, i would recommend them.
I think they ‘fit’ in US narrow gauge short lines.
They are larger and slightly longer and taller than the old Delton shorty coaches.

I have an ambivalence toward the curtains. Some LGB curtains are molded into the glazing. Others are, it seems, ,more delicately painted. To my eye, less jarring than these.

These are crudely painted. I was unable to get the heavy printing off with meths. I was afraid anything stronger would damage the window clarity. The inside recessed window frames on the combine had tiny bits of the original cutained window glued tightly. I couldnt get them off, despite a good deal of effort.
As a result, i abandoned the idea of the observation coach window replacement.

The platforms are unique. Very urban, i think. The only photos /place ive seen them is on New York city elevated railways, circa 1890. And, the B and O prototype, full length pullman. They have nothing in common with the prototype Sierra RR coach and combine other than abbreviated length.

Once the abundant bright work is toned down, i find them more pleasing. Havent tried to paint the window and clerestory gold frames…yet. Im not sure im up to it.

Fwiw, the large tail lanterns on mine do not work. I have had these type lanterns before on another car. REA/Aristo used an early, dimmish red LED. The red , when working, is canceled out by the green lens.

Im a light lover, and will eventually repair or replace these. Not as simple as one might think as the bracket and electric connection is unique.

Overall, id recommend these, but, anticipate a pricey wheel replacement.
I added an LGB loop to thefront of the combine with ease.

A thing i learned is that there are 2 versions, one with open curtains, such these, and one with closed curtains. The latter, i understand has no interior detail and was included with REA train set versions. Mine with open curtains have chairs, lighting fixtures, toilet, and working smoking stove. The cheap Chinese preiser clone figures would fit well in the chairs, I believe. (Not tested).
9C6AA167-4C48-4B76-9F5C-13EB2C7589E5.jpeg95830636-5DA4-4DC7-B637-38C9703E2695.jpegAFAAAAF9-D278-4EDD-A63E-B8EA99FAA883.jpegD8EFD30F-5659-43F2-B494-2A6E86262773.jpeg

Last edited:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, where to start . . .

The coaches are 1/24th scale but shortened, so that 1/22 figure looks a bit big. They are readily available in the USA in anything from new to junk state. I just threw away 4 really junk ones, though I kept the steps. The latter break off as they are the first thing to contact the floor when they fall. Note the 'fall plate' over the steps can be raised and clipped in the upper position - some US stations had platforms, others had ground level access.

The railings and filigree are not brass - they are something nondescript painted brass. You can't clean them with metal polish - just repaint them with gold paint. The marker lights on the Observation are LEDs, unlike the interior lights which are incandescent. There are strips on the wall between the windows, which hide the holes for the interior wall lights. I think they look better without the curtains, so I removed and replaced the glazing - a small hobby chisel [Xacto #11] will pry them off, though if the coach is old and has been out in the sun, you may break some crosspieces too.

I had a set of 3 (coach/obs/combine) and decided to make 2 longer coaches. Here's a pic of the coach/Obs now complete, and the combine is still waiting for paint. The conversion is described here
https://largescalecentral.com/t/more-lengthened-sierra-coaches/82548/36

395e46e74c7eaaa3faadb3d5725b77b01292b78d.jpeg