Blue LGB Christmas Chloe

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Brought myself to cough up for the blue version and open car..twas the season.
while i hate the term rare, it seems these are, after a very long search. Lucked out on the coach too, timing and price.

i have an unmitigated fondness for these us version frr teapots.
They are NOT by any means robust or designed or capable of heavy trains or prolonged operation.
Thus, one should, like polo players, have a string of substitute locos.
EDCCBEC6-854D-4390-B78C-EC3FD92A8C64.jpeg
DBE68133-1409-4B17-87AF-2DF415338DA0.jpeg
Fwiw, new drive, imho, isnt one jot better than old belts, at least so far. Perhaps in really cold weather, but i havent found any difference in performance.

Chloe cam with no engineer, but, a rather crummy Schleich version of santa…pathetic…humbug….lol
looks like a flat gingerbread man compared to the first Christmas Chloe’s Preiser santa. Has metal wheeled trailing truck.

Paint scheme, imho, is not as intricate as version 1. But firebox door has a white xmas tree with star atop, and, tiny stars of David in the night sky surround and boiler builders plate is a leaping reindeer!

. Otoh, it IS blue, and the Marklin ‘brass’ looks better than the old lgb 24k plating. (Perhaps i associate it with that “New Bright” look. Plain black boiler and smoke box, roofs, frames, refreshingly mundane.

Blue is the rarest color occurring in nature, (and…trains, guitars, jes sayin’) ……and, is , in the west, culturally, a “winter” color, but not one i associate, necessarily with Christmas. Well, Mary usually has a blue cloak. Not to mention Hannuka With blue and gold.

Perhaps a train to some Pleasant Pagan Party..? lol. I guess that would be forest green and brown….with antlers on the headlight….

I dont miss the icicles from the first version. (They look great IF everything is snow covered, otherwise, incongruent…and, although i tried, cannot be lighted…or removed without destruction.)

While several ‘improvements’ came to mind, re paint, wheel color, coach floor color, different headlight color, stopping the light bleed through the pale gold headlight , etc., its too scarce and pricey, for me, to do anything other than run it and enjoy it. It MAY demand caboose lights..small, scale ones.

No sound, no smoke, head light varies with track voltage, real old school. Excitement Improves, however, with a tot.

Believe it or not, it grows on you. The loco.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users