Massoth Pulsed Smoker for round Boilers 845001 installation

laszlostary

Registered
5 Jan 2019
Budapest
Best answers
Dear All,

I have installed phisically the smoker ( Massoth pusled smoker for round boilers, 8415001) to PIKO G scale BR95 Loco, but it does not smoke at all. My quiestion from the manual: 2.2: Default settings: How to configure the CV values , through the Massoth XLS decoder, or directly on the smoker (equipment) ?
Thanks for your help in advance:
Regards: Laci from Hungary.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You will need to isolate the two decoders, XLS and pulsed smoke, so you are only 'talking' to one of them for programming..

Do you have a way of generating pulses within the motor-block?

laszlostary

Registered
5 Jan 2019
Budapest
Best answers
Hi PhilP,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I have no way to generate pulses within the motor-block.
How could I generate pulsed smoke from the XLS decoder to the pulse generator?

Thanks,
Laci

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
The diagram on page 13 of the manual show you how to connect the pulsed smoke generator to the clock output of the XLS decoder. There are some decoder CV settings shown on page 14. The manual PDF is here if you don't have it.
http://wiki.massoth.de/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=186

laszlostary

Registered
5 Jan 2019
Budapest
Best answers
Hi Dave,

Thank you, my connections are ok, I have the manual with the table, but I am afraid, if I set the shown CV values, other sound settings will be overriden and will not work.

Regards:
Laci

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave,

Thank you, my connections are ok, I have the manual with the table, but I am afraid, if I set the shown CV values, other sound settings will be overriden and will not work.

Regards:
Laci

Laci,

it is best to disconnect one of the track-power leads from the XLS whilst you are programming the pulsed-smoke unit. Then disconnect a power-lead from the pulsed-smoke, and connect the XLS to change that..

if you have the space, you can fit switches for this. - You do not then have to open-up the loco each time.
It can be difficult to find somewhere to fit them though..

laszlostary

Registered
5 Jan 2019
Budapest
Best answers
Laci,

it is best to disconnect one of the track-power leads from the XLS whilst you are programming the pulsed-smoke unit. Then disconnect a power-lead from the pulsed-smoke, and connect the XLS to change that..

if you have the space, you can fit switches for this. - You do not then have to open-up the loco each time.

Thank you for your advices, I will do it and send feedback.
Laci

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Laci,

My Piko Harzkamel, which is one of the early ones with the unplated wheels, came to me with DCC and a Goldcap power buffer already fitted (the buffer seems to get over the poor running problems associated with the early wheelsets), needs the power buffer disconnecting in order to do any programming on the decoder - to enable this, whoever did the install put one of the little single-pole inline plugs and sockets (like the old ones LGB used as lighting plug connectors in their early days) into one of the wires of the power buffer, then tucked the plug and socket away under the loco's footplate with a couple of inches of play in the wiring - so to program, all I need to do is to pull the plug and socket out from its hiding place and disconnect it to isolate the power buffer from the decoder.

Maybe a similar idea (with two differently-coloured plug/socket pairs) could be used to isolate both the smoke unit and the decoder in your installation, as required?

Jon.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe a similar idea (with two differently-coloured plug/socket pairs) could be used to isolate both the smoke unit and the decoder in your installation, as required?

I would suggest something with a greater current-carrying capacity, as we are talking 'raw' track-power coming into the decoders..

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I would suggest something with a greater current-carrying capacity, as we are talking 'raw' track-power coming into the decoders..

I can't really see why these plugs and sockets would have any sort of problem in the current handling department, Phil? They have a much greater contact area than (say) the pins on a JST plug, or many other types of connector that are commonly used for wiring up track powered items....

Jon.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I can't really see why these plugs and sockets would have any sort of problem in the current handling department, Phil? They have a much greater contact area than (say) the pins on a JST plug, or many other types of connector that are commonly used for wiring up track powered items....

Jon.

Sorry, having re-read your post..
You are referring to the 'pins' (as on a 55021) I think?? - I thought you were referring to the mini ct connectors used for lighting on the Massoth decoders.. :oops:

I believe these are known as 'Hornby connectors' X8011, in the smaller scales?? :nerd:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I mean these, Phil - as used for the lighting plug connections on early LGB locos and stock..... with a plug and socket used as an inline pair, you have a good plug-in connection that is not too fiddly to unplug when needed.... seems to work well on my Kamel, anyway.

plugs.jpg

Jon.