Massoth Pulsed Smoke Generator

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Hello I'm looking for help with my smoke unit. i purchased it second hand last week.(ebay)

this is the older square type 8413501 Pulsed Smoke Generator (DCC) – Massoth Elektronik GmbH

im having trouble with the CV's, i want to configure the generator to use it with one of my engines.

• Plug smoke unit into directly to the track power with no loco present.
  • read cv value with PIKO(Massoth Navi)
  • No cv values are fed back. I get a "X" the motor on the smoke unit spins up faster for 10 seconds then back to idle.
  • i can send CV values to the unit and get a "tick" when done.
  • when i try to turn off the unit with F7 nothing happens.
  • Sprog3 DCC - when i try to use this i get a error 309 (Short circuit) when reading the CV's. Lets me power it on in throttle mode. Think the sprog3 is on its way out.

I have had a look at other people forum post and not come across any issues with not reading CV's.

Is there a way of resetting the unit back to factory or advise of what the issue might be.

thanks Rich

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I've one of these units. I had no problems setting it up using my PIKO navigator and base unit. I use a different address to the loco, it made it a bit simpler to my ageing brain.
If I can do it it should be simple so I fear you have discovered why it was on ebay. Defeatist I know, but I'd try to return it and get a refund. :-(

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So Neil, just to be more specific, you could READ CVs in "service mode"?

If that was not problem, and it does not work on a similar system for Rich, sounds like it is defective.

Rich, if you have the Sprog and you are not sure of it, it would be good to track that down separately, since it might point incorrectly to something else and give you bad results.

Greg