Mamod "Boulton" Diesel Outline Locomotive.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg image.jpeg Megan has now been fitted with a new chassis. After painting and weathering she was put through her acceptance trials.

Reactions: 1 users

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpg
I have to say that I agree - they should fix it, replace it or at the very least give you a significant refund for your costs in rectifying the problems with it yourself, Casey..... did you try emailing them?

Jon.
I never gave it a thought Jon. Doh.

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Paul,
My experiences in dealing with Mamod haven’t been to good either. I have spoken to them asking about buffer beam overlays for my Boulton, the chap on the phone didn’t know what I was on about. I also emailed them on this and other enquiries and never received a reply.
I am surprised at the chassis failing as I know it is made by Essel, I have several Essel locomotives and they have all performed (and still do) very reliably indeed.
Having said that, the roundhouse chassis certainly suits the loco, you have done a superb job.

Regards Alan.

Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Paul,
My experiences in dealing with Mamod haven’t been to good either. I have spoken to them asking about buffer beam overlays for my Boulton, the chap on the phone didn’t know what I was on about. I also emailed them on this and other enquiries and never received a reply.
I am surprised at the chassis failing as I know it is made by Essel, I have several Essel locomotives and they have all performed (and still do) very reliably indeed.
Having said that, the roundhouse chassis certainly suits the loco, you have done a superb job.

Regards Alan.

Alan, the chassis is sound, the problem is with the integrated motor and gearbox. I had the same problem twice with a Roundhouse NDM-6. Roundhouse with their usual excellent service rectified the problem.

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Alan, the chassis is sound, the problem is with the integrated motor and gearbox. I had the same problem twice with a Roundhouse NDM-6. Roundhouse with their usual excellent service rectified the problem.
Morning Paul,
See what you mean, I misread your post. If you can get hold of a replacement motor you could reuse chassis maybe.
As you say Roundhouse after sales service is excellent.

Regards Alan.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Although your issue is with Mamod and under Trading Standards they should be doing something as the Product is "not fit for purpose". I would be tempted to have a quick word with Steve at Essell and see what he has to say. As Alan says their products are soundly engineered and I have a Loco that dates back some 20 or more years and the Gearbox is still fine. Batteries shot and in Works for replacement Batts plus RC. But that is another story.

Eeyore.Boater

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stafford
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Here is the cause of the failure

This is an image of the back of the gearbox, the boss in the top right carries the output shaft.
The small silver coloured shaft in the (darker) worn hole carries the final stage of the reduction gearing where it engages with the gearwheel on the output shaft. Obviously not going to stay in mesh with that sort of wear.
Best guess is a combination of poorly distributed lubricant at point of assembly and long periods of continuous running. More a case of bad luck than poor engineering.

Partially dismantled awaiting new motor and gearbox assembly at its new home.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: