Mamod "Boulton" Diesel Outline Locomotive.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
And I thought Tag was 'dyed in the wool' steam :shake::shake::shake::shake:

Tag has a couple of diesel outline locomotives. A Roundhouse "Little John" and the Mamod "Boulton". Both have had the Tag Gorton special treatment.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg Old air horn.image.jpeg New air horn.
I didn't like the air horn as first fitted, so I hunted through my spares box and found this neat brass air horn. I think it looks a lot better and more realistic.

Reactions: 6 users

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice. How do you do the red nameplates on the loco?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Quite simple Peter, paint them red, allow paint to cure, then buff them to expose the raised letters and border.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Quite simple Peter, paint them red, allow paint to cure, then buff them to expose the raised letters and border.
Or buy 'em that colour from Narrow Planet :devil::devil::devil:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. What I meant was, how did you make the nameplates or where did you get them from. From Rhinochugger's answer, I now know that Narrow Planet do them.
Thanks
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. What I meant was, how did you make the nameplates or where did you get them from. From Rhinochugger's answer, I now know that Narrow Planet do them.
Thanks
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
They're one of the few, now, although I'm sure there's somebody else who does plain brass, but the name escapes me - it's an age thing :smoke::smoke::smoke:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Megan just prior to stripping her gears.image.jpeg I'm rather miffed today. My seven week old Boulton has stripped it's gears. Until today the locomotive had hauled fairly light loads. Today I tried it with six Accucraft wagons and brakevan, after moving a couple of yards the locomotive literally ground to a halt. A grinding noise came from the gearbox. As the gearbox is integral to the motor it looks like I will have to contact Mamod for a completely new motor.
The alternative is to fit a more robust motor and gearbox such as supplied by Roundhouse Engineering.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Megan just prior to stripping her gears.View attachment 237945 I'm rather miffed today. My seven week old Boulton has stripped it's gears. Until today the locomotive had hauled fairly light loads. Today I tried it with six Accucraft wagons and brakevan, after moving a couple of yards the locomotive literally ground to a halt. A grinding noise came from the gearbox. As the gearbox is integral to the motor it looks like I will have to contact Mamod for a completely new motor.
The alternative is to fit a more robust motor and gearbox such as supplied by Roundhouse Engineering.
Mamod say that it's an MFA motor (I assume with gear head) and that's a pretty common make, there must be hundreds running around on our garden railways, to say nothing of your battery drills etc (Como is one of the other makes).

It sounds as if you've been unlucky there, Paul :think::think:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Rapid sell (or did) the various size Como or MFA motors.

Eeyore.Boater

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stafford
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Megan just prior to stripping her gears.View attachment 237945 I'm rather miffed today. My seven week old Boulton has stripped it's gears. Until today the locomotive had hauled fairly light loads. Today I tried it with six Accucraft wagons and brakevan, after moving a couple of yards the locomotive literally ground to a halt. A grinding noise came from the gearbox. As the gearbox is integral to the motor it looks like I will have to contact Mamod for a completely new motor.

How are things going with repairs to Megan? Always good to hear about "the after-sales experience".

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Megan is going to be fitted with a Roundhouse Engineering chassis. It comes as a kit and I'm just in the process of painting it. Hopefully it will be assembled and fitted by the weekend.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Megan is going to be fitted with a Roundhouse Engineering chassis. It comes as a kit and I'm just in the process of painting it. Hopefully it will be assembled and fitted by the weekend.
But what responce did you get from Mamod? Putting new running gear on it is actually replacing more than half the original loco

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
But what responce did you get from Mamod? Putting new running gear on it is actually replacing more than half the original loco

It is indeed Paul. I tried ringing Mamod a few times, I never got through. So I decided that the Roundhouse chassis would be a suitable replacement. The gears appear to be far more robust so I will give it work out.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It is indeed Phil. I tried ringing Mamod a few times, I never got through. So I decided that the Roundhouse chassis would be a suitable replacement. The gears appear to be far more robust so I will give it work out.
You'll have to let us know how it goes, it's bound to be a populareal conversion

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It is indeed Paul. I tried ringing Mamod a few times, I never got through. So I decided that the Roundhouse chassis would be a suitable replacement. The gears appear to be far more robust so I will give it work out.
Well, that's a b****y poor response from an outfit that's just launched a new model, and has been given such free publicity from the CFR.

I can't see many people streaming to their door after this :(:(:(

Shame that you'he had to go to the expense of changing the chassis - the MFA motors usually give good service, and I can't think that it was overloaded with that train :shake::shake:

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Well, that's a b****y poor response from an outfit that's just launched a new model, and has been given such free publicity from the CFR.

Shame that you'he had to go to the expense of changing the chassis - the MFA motors usually give good service, and I can't think that it was overloaded with that train :shake::shake:

I have to say that I agree - they should fix it, replace it or at the very least give you a significant refund for your costs in rectifying the problems with it yourself, Casey..... did you try emailing them?

Jon.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpg Roundhouse chassis installed in the Boulton.image.jpg Mamod chassis, motor and gearbox.image.jpg

I don't really have a beef with Mamod. I understand that they can be very busy at times and can't answer the telephone. They are within east driving distance for me and I could have taken the Boulton to them. However I've had experience of these motor/gearboxes failing before and I'm not sure that another one wouldn't suffer the same failure. So I decided on the Roundhouse chassis, the gears are far more substantial and are similar to my other Roundhouse locomotives.