Live Diesel two power RhB Gem 4/4

ogoergen

Registered
7 Dec 2021
Germany, NRW
Best answers
Country flag
Hello

Let me me start with my RhB Gem 4/4 802. Today the prototype is used for work trains and to push snow ploughs. The model can run in two modes: Real Live Diesel or it can be used with DCC power. The housing based on a Kiss model, but the frame and the complete technology is self developed. My first Live Diesel Loco started in 1995 and basen on a MOB prototype which is also loceted in Swiss.

Currently the last development steps based on a heavy modified OS engine with an electrical heating system for winter use and an external oil system for long terms.

This Diesel engine is my oldest power unit ever, over 14 years old and more than 1000 hours of operation - its first live as power unit was done in a rack railway locomotive (Brünigbahn or Zentralbahn). I sold this loco but the new owner did not want to use it. So I got back the power unit and I started to construct this two power loco. The electrical part based on a Zimo decoder with power caps and followed a quite normal LGB loco. In case of electric independent use, all wires are cutted by a switch and the power to drive (and partly for the electrical snow plough Xrotet 9219) is produced by the Diesel engine connected to a Faulhaber generator, all manipulations will be done by an radio control (Spektrum). The starter battery is loaded by the power unit also. So it is really independent from the power of tracks.

Attached you will find some pictures from the beginning until today.

Gem_32DSC6700058.jpg

Starting with building the new frame made of brass - the original frame of Kiss is not very stable

Gem32DSC7700075_2_.jpg

It was necessary to cut whole in roof of housing for the cooling system of the engine

Gem32IMG_0792.jpg

In background you can see the Diesel power unit based on a modified OS engine and a Faulhaber 3863CR024 motor to start the engine and to produce the power, The maximum rotation speed ist 4500 min-1, so the sound is very near to the original prototype. The exhaust system is very effective.

Gem32DSG160_010.jpg

In winter it is very comfortable not to use the DCC power of the tracks.

Gem3220210116_233313.jpg

A typical scene of work in the darkness of winter

I hope you enjoy a little bit the pictures and the story, if there are any questions... - or I could start to report something about the snow ploughs

With best wishes Ottmar

PS: Please can me someone explain the difference in english between snow plow and snow plough?

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
PS: Please can me someone explain the difference in english between snow plow and snow plough?
Merely a difference in American and British spelling practices, and there are quite a few.
Are also some differences in use of punctuation marks.

Variations of English word spellings between America and Britain are a thing that is much commented upon, here's a fun look at the topic by a British fellow who met an American gal in Britian then moved to America,
I like to talk about the memos Britain and America lost in the Pond. But what about memos that weren't lost at all? Sometimes, both countries operate in exactly the same way - even when it comes to spelling. And some spellings - like those in this video - break all the rules.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
"plow" is the American spelling of the English "plough"..

So, as I understand it, the electric motor is used to start the diesel engine, then becomes a dynamo to charge on-board(?) batteries, and drive a separate motor, on the rotary plough?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hello

Let me me start with my RhB Gem 4/4 802. Today the prototype is used for work trains and to push snow ploughs. The model can run in two modes: Real Live Diesel or it can be used with DCC power. The housing based on a Kiss model, but the frame and the complete technology is self developed. My first Live Diesel Loco started in 1995 and basen on a MOB prototype which is also loceted in Swiss.

Currently the last development steps based on a heavy modified OS engine with an electrical heating system for winter use and an external oil system for long terms.

This Diesel engine is my oldest power unit ever, over 14 years old and more than 1000 hours of operation - its first live as power unit was done in a rack railway locomotive (Brünigbahn or Zentralbahn). I sold this loco but the new owner did not want to use it. So I got back the power unit and I started to construct this two power loco. The electrical part based on a Zimo decoder with power caps and followed a quite normal LGB loco. In case of electric independent use, all wires are cutted by a switch and the power to drive (and partly for the electrical snow plough Xrotet 9219) is produced by the Diesel engine connected to a Faulhaber generator, all manipulations will be done by an radio control (Spektrum). The starter battery is loaded by the power unit also. So it is really independent from the power of tracks.

View attachment 293144

Starting with building the new frame made of brass - the original frame of Kiss is not very stable

View attachment 293146

It was necessary to cut whole in roof of housing for the cooling system of the engine

View attachment 293145

In background you can see the Diesel power unit based on a modified OS engine and a Faulhaber 3863CR024 motor to start the engine and to produce the power, The maximum rotation speed ist 4500 min-1, so the sound is very near to the original prototype. The exhaust system is very effective.

View attachment 293147

View attachment 293148

I hope you enjoy a little bit the pictures and the story, if there are any questions... - or I could start to report something about the snow ploughs

With best wishes Ottmar

Plow is American and Plough is UK English - both words mean the same thing!

Both of us replying at the same time!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am sure there was a working model, made by a "bespoke" modelling company?
Eye-wateringly expensive!

ogoergen

Registered
7 Dec 2021
Germany, NRW
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you very much, I will try to write snow plow :)

Some words to the start procedure in winter. At first the Diesel engine will be heated up to 40 degree to easier the starting itself. I use for it an resistor mounted in the head of the engine. The generator will be also used for start the engine. After engine running the generator produced the power for all internal systems like RC, cooling system and of course for driving.

Also the sound is pretty different to other Live Diesel model locos. Most of them uses a higher rotation speed of two stroke engines, so the sound is sometime
"hard". The Gem has large a 3 chamber exhaust and the four stroke engines sounds much better. also the rotation speed is very low and frequency is also very low. It sounds like the prototype like a big engine.

@Philip can you explain what do you mean witj "bespoke"?

Best wishes Ottmar

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
"Bespoke"
A bespoke suite of clothes, would be made to your specific measurements.
A bespoke kitchen: The units would be made to fit the room dimensions, and any specific requirements you wanted.

Sorry! Not the most common term, in the English language. :oops:

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
@Philip can you explain what do you mean witj "bespoke"?
Have to smile at that question given the location of the person asking is in Germany and the origin of the word, several centuries ago, is Germanic. :)
But, seriously, just because a word in one language has its origin in another language that doesn't mean the language of its origin uses it in its present form, or even still uses it at all.

From Online Etymology: bespoke | Search Online Etymology Dictionary

bespoke (adj.)

"custom or custom-made, made to order," of goods (as distinguished from ready-made), 1755, the same sense is found earlier in bespoken (c. 1600), past-participle adjective from bespeak in its sense of "speak for, arrange beforehand," which is attested in bespeak from 1580s. Now usually of tailored suits.
Related entries & more

bespeak (v.)

Old English besprecan "speak about, speak against, complain," from be- + sprecan "to speak" (see speak (v.)). A common Germanic compound (cognates: Old Saxon bisprecan, Dutch bespreken, Old High German bisprehhan, German besprechen); originally "to call out," it evolved a wide range of meaning in English, including "speak up," "oppose," "request," "discuss, "arrange," and "to order (goods)" (1580s).
The connection of the senses is very loose; some of them appear to have arisen quite independently of each other from different applications of BE- pref. [OED]
Related: Bespeaking; bespoke.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Merely a difference in American and British spelling practices, and there are quite a few.

Variations of English word spellings between America and Britain are a thing that is much commented upon, here's a fun look at the topic by a British fellow who met an American gal in Britian then moved to America,

Mmm ..................... two nations divided by a common language :D:D

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Ottmar, a having diesel power is a rarity here. I know people have experimented with small aero engines, but I don't think it ever took on

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Ottmar,

Welcome to the forum. Fascinating loco you have got there! I'd love to see it running in a video!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum again I think from me.
Hello

View attachment 293144

View attachment 293146

View attachment 293145

View attachment 293147

View attachment 293148

With best wishes Ottmar

I know that there have been a few Europen live diesel models including the odd Manufacturer of them. There was a guy in UK that produced Diesel Electrics in UK using Aero Engines as the main generator of the Electricity used in the motors. Wish I could remember his company, I used to do regular operating days on his line near Harrow back in 2000-2012 time. He sold his business on but little heard from it since then. He did give one of his locomotives some test running on my line in Hemel Hempstead UK but sort of got upset when I referred to it as a Disiesel.

Interesting Vid re differences between US and UK English as well.

ogoergen

Registered
7 Dec 2021
Germany, NRW
Best answers
Country flag
Hello

many thanks for the vid. I will try to learn more. Yes I learned english at school and today I have to work with several foreign colleagues in my job. But it based more on "medical speech", so I do not learn all secrets of your language. But I think to learn german is more complicated...:)

dunnyrail dunnyrail : If I remember right, in 1995 a Japanese company starts also to develop Live Diesel engines that based on two stroke aero engines (I think it was a F7 unit). But I do not know anything about it. So I started complety clueless with a four stroke OS engine, which based also on an aero engine. During the time I learned that it was an aero engine and not a locomotive engine. The requirements are pretty different. For example the carburetor does not work successful in a locomotive. We need an absolute perfect run, but in a low rotation speed as well. We need also a perfect oil supply, so an external oil tank and supply is needed. At last but not least the campshaft profile has to follow the low rotation speed combined with an higher compression. So the starting time in summer is mostly below 1 second (in winter the heating process takes 10 seconds) and it sounds more like an big engine, more like an small lorry.

I attach an video link from an live steam meeting this year in Schramberg, depend on Corona restrictions in secret way :lipssealed:

Have a nice day Ottmar

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Oddly, spell check allows some words like theater/theatre to go without correction, on my computer. That is most likely due to the universal acceptance of both spellings.