Loco Name Plates

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I need some loco nameplates. Where to get them isn't the issue. What is the convention (if any) on firstly, fonts that should/can be used, and next is it usual to use both upper and lower case, or just upper case.

I've done loads of searches and cant seem to get a handle on it, perhaps some places had different ideas and what went in one place didn't go elsewhere. :wondering::wondering:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I've only seen all upper case. As regards font, it's up to you I think.

Reactions: 1 user

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag

I have had two different sets made for me by GRS.

I sent them details of the overall size and type face I wanted. I think I also sent them a print out of it too

I wanted one to look 'Germanic', the other to look 'Wild West'. They were done exactly as requested.

It was few years ago, but I don't recall it being too expensive either.

I guess what you elect to get depends upon what looks right on your model, which is probably subject to what other similar locos have carried. Ultimately it is a Rule 8 matter!

James

PS: Mine were mixed upper and lower case as liked that!

Last edited:

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
I have been doing some more browsing and Gordon raises a good point:

Generally speaking just about all UK standard gauge nameplates were fully upper case until the early 1960s: The last that I can find that fits in with this are Warships, Westerns, Deltics, and Class 40s.

From Class 86, 87, and 50 onwards they seem to be mostly mixed case, with the odd throwback to Upper case - STEPHENSON for example. Today anything goes!

As for Narrow Gauge? No idea!

James

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I think all upper case for steamers. The font seem to vary between, plain old Gill sans, and Times New Roman or similar, there are even one or two exotic styles, but that is definately not what I'm after.

Size is the next thing to be sorted, not too big, nor too small. I suppose it's an "eye" thing.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The German railways use a font called DIN1451
din1451.png

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You do not say what your line is based on, NG or SG? I would research Pictures on the net of your chosen theme. Industrial Locomotives appeared to be anything goes as did NG. Early SG Lines might also be the same.
JonD

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Stricktly Narrow Gauge, Jon. I did loads of searches for photos etc, and came up with the conundrum. So font decided, Gill sans, all upper case, just the size to determin which will be done with the aid of W.P. and printer. So far probably a touch too small, but somehow that leaves an impression of quality rather than quantity. As I said, it's a "eye" thing. Either it looks right - or it don't! Did you know you don't have to use the predetermined point sizes for your font, you can insert your own, so if you want 37.5 you can have it!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Font Size, yes it is just one of those things that you find out by Accident. Does get one out of sticky issues at times, I print most of my Labels on Sticky Paper that I get from Photo Paper Direct. Works quite well and outdoor life longer than you might think, especially if Printed from a Lazer.
JonD