30s Loads Ideas

Bombastic

Registered
29 Jun 2023
Eagle Point, Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All, Sorry if this is the wrong forum (I'm not sure if this is more of a kit-bashing type question). But I was wondering if you all could share some ideas for freight loads for my (LGB) cars. My railway is a European steam railway loosely set in the early 20th century (technically my latest loco was historically built in the mid 30s, but I imagine the railroad as being set more in the 20s). My railway is imagined as being an interchange, with larger locomotives and cars hauling good between two large cities, and a small local railway that services a series of small communities and industries and connects them to the main line. What kind of loads might a small rural railway in that era carry, and how can I model those loads?

I'm looking both for ideas for loads, and pictures and methods for how to build those loads.

Obviously coal is the single most common commodity carried on my railway, and I figured out that it's pretty easy to make coal loads using black aquarium gravel glued onto foam board. I assume the same method would work for sand.

Any techniques for making G scale logs, crates, canvass gondola covers for covered loads, barrels, boxes, milled timber, or anything else you can think of that my railway might carry? Any inexpensive toys or model 20s farm equipment that you could recommend? I'm totally open to any creative ideas here.

Reactions: 1 user

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose the simplest load could be railway bits, rails sleepers etc, but then vehicles of the time be that early motor cars, carts etc, tied down, farming machinery, etc..

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Milk cans, barrels, sacks, crates, planks, firewood, farm implements, chickens. Lots of chickens! :D

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Crates can be easily made from stock thin timber, cut with grain and use a broken hacksaw blade to distress the timber before glueing together. Outside bracing can use coffee stirers. Boxes some in all sorts of sizes, I have one that fills a Toytrain open, others smaller many to a wagon. This link shows how I make coal and gravel loads, scrap metal uses the same principle. Collecting old bits or cutoffs from wagons, filings, swarf painted rusty makes great scrap loads. Use the search bar for Wagon Loads, you will find many ideas.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Logs are easy to create, tree branches, relevantly straight, and cut to length.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty much anything and everything! You can even make up your own industry, treacle mines are prevalent in East Herts, so I'm sure there must be something similar on mainland Europe

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty much anything and everything! You can even make up your own industry, treacle mines are prevalent in East Herts, so I'm sure there must be something similar on mainland Europe
Or in this case, Oregon.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
If wanting to buy ready made, search on eBay under 16mm loads, G gauge loads, Playmobil crates, Playmobil barrels and Playmobil oil drums.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
vegetables?

kiste02x.JPG

boxes?

kiste01a.JPG

kiste-tabasco.JPG

printouts at: how to - wie gemacht (about halfway down)

kisten-12.JPG

circuscars?

zirkuszug2.JPG

covered freight?

DSC00060.JPG

barrels?

spurschiene04.JPG

there are many kinds of freight. to buy or to make oneself.

Attachments

• kiste02.JPG
    kiste02.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bombastic

Registered
29 Jun 2023
Eagle Point, Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
vegetables?

View attachment 321170

boxes?

View attachment 321171

View attachment 321172

printouts at: how to - wie gemacht (about halfway down)

View attachment 321177

circuscars?

View attachment 321174

covered freight?

View attachment 321175

barrels?

View attachment 321176

there are many kinds of freight. to buy or to make oneself.
That is very helpful! I really like how you did the fruit and the fruit crates, I'll definitely be stealing that! What was the source for your barrels?

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
As mentioned print outs, used this site for boxes, maybe a bit too modern in your case...

Maybe something else to consider round Ice lolly/corn dog sticks, could be cut to length as fence post of left whole as telegraph /light poles.
and you can always colour them to suit as treated timber.

Bombastic

Registered
29 Jun 2023
Eagle Point, Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the ideas so far. Sounds like lumber is pretty easy, I've obviously been overthinking that!

Does anyone have pictures or instructions for how you make stuff like g scale sacks, milk cans, barrels, etc.? Or a source for them? I'm generally trying to make stuff from scratch to save money, but if its affordable I'll splurge on some nice items.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
For milk churns, I would spray up some of those yoghurt drink pots, if you have them in the US....

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
the sacks in the first picture above are cloth from an old first aid kit, died in either coffee or dark furniture polish. when dry formed and glued together with UHU all purpose glue ( i tried to sew them together first, but that takes too much time and too many pricking of fingertips)

barrels
i have three types in larger quantities. those visible in that pic. they are out of cheap chinese "Farm toy" bags.
modern oilbarrels, that were sold for the Carrera car racetracks in 1:32 (hayballs from the same source)
turned barrels from palisander/rosewood
(btw: keep an eye on the smaller scales. oilbarrels in H0 or N scale make fine tincans in largescale)

the best source for all the stuff, that lets a layout come to life, are eyes combined with curiosity and freetime to roam in all kinds of shops and retailers.

but my most used materials are veneer, coffeestirrers and matches.

see the pot in the pic below?
that started its life as cork on a bottle of cleaning alcohol.

SDC12127.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the ideas so far. Sounds like lumber is pretty easy, I've obviously been overthinking that!

Does anyone have pictures or instructions for how you make stuff like g scale sacks, milk cans, barrels, etc.? Or a source for them? I'm generally trying to make stuff from scratch to save money, but if its affordable I'll splurge on some nice items.
For barrels I used some purchased ones, then made moulds and cast more from epoxy resin.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Scrapped vehicles?
These were found in a garage sale (carboot sale) and broken apart.
The dents to the old utility vehicle (pickup) were done b using a small blow thorch.
Close Up 2.JPG Side View 1.jpg Top View.JPG

I also have made "pipe loads" using 25mm electrical conduit but any size would do.
The ends are circles cut from plastic card.
Side View.JPG

End View.JPG

Chain-Spacer Detail.JPG

For barrels and drums I invested in a cheap 3D printer and print my own.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
But he did say his line was European
Ah, quite right and many apologies. I'd read that, marked it mentally at the time and then forgot it. Where is the grovelling apologies emoji when you need it?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
3d printing is great for barrels, crates and any number of items if you have aceass to one