LGB's Rubber rule

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Personally, I like the rubber rule; if you drop it, it bounces!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: Alyn

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Woderwick said:
i got over the rubber thing-so long as things are functional and sturdy its ok

Essential in my book :rofl:

Yerst, I have plenty of hard wearing 1:22.5 stuff, and haven't given up on that - especially as I have three locos at that scale

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Woderwick said:
Oh, you mean trains ? :clown: :confused:

It never occured to me that you were thinking of anything else :(

(I see there's no emoticon for whiplash)

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB made this car in 2 sizes, an earlier version (four digit number and made in Germany) was 300 mm long, the later version (five digit number and made in China) is 390 mm long. The later is true to scale. I prefer the earlier version.

I think the relax wagon was made in China, the Cargo domizil in Germany.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think that many get too het up about the rubber ruler. I use the LGB DR stuff, plus I now also have the Piko Harz Kamel. Though I always knew the scales were mixed up, it does not worry me overly. For instance because LGB never got around to the Harz Mallets, I happily use the Sachen Meyer in its stead. I use both the Green and Black one as my Mallets. Now I know that they are wrong, but because LGB monkeyed around with the scales, the Narrower Gauge Sachen looks OK alongside all the Metre gauge Harz stuff. Plus the Piko Kamel sticks above the coaches to a satisfactory degree. To me because I am into Timetable Running more than running a ruler over the kit I am happy with the way things are.

On a side tack I also love the Irish railways, the L&LSR in particular. I run an L&LSR Timetable on my line with a friend using all the DR Harz Stock. We use the Harz (LGB) 2-10-2t to represent the 4-8-4t that the L&LSR had. Suspending belief a bit in this way can actually make you seam that you really are in Ireland back in the 40's. yes I know it is imagination, but that is the sort of thing that gives us hours of fun. When I can get sufficient operators together then I will also run a Harz timetable too.

So rubber rulers, well I have met too many P4 wallers to worry about it overly, as a good friend of mine used to say "Life is too short to stuff a Mushroom".JonD

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
LTfan said:
This was my first train-set, when I was about 3 or 4 years old.
Brilliant result of using of a rubber ruler.

David

images

My father had something like that A4 when he was a child in the 1930's. I've never been able to identify what make it was as he thought it was "American" in manufacture (Marx?). Will have to show him that photo to see if that is what he owned!
It certainly wasn't made by Hornby.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
:thumbdown:
yb281 said:
stockers said:
Yes, but they are American!:rofl:

:happy::happy::happy::happy:
I'm Sorry but I don't get the joke either, I thought we were discussing how poor the L.G.B. model was. Is the purpose of this website to attack people who enjoy a different aspect of garden railways other than the L.G.B. European model ? Is this going to be G.S.M all over again?
:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
garrymartin said:
:thumbdown:
yb281 said:
stockers said:
Yes, but they are American!:rofl:

:happy::happy::happy::happy:
I'm Sorry but I don't get the joke either, I thought we were discussing how poor the L.G.B. model was. Is the purpose of this website to attack people who enjoy a different aspect of garden railways other than the L.G.B. European model ? Is this going to be G.S.M all over again?
:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

How poor the LGB model is??? I think we were discussing the rubber ruler? and it has always been a running jibe about those that run 'Merican outline as opposed to European No slight is intended or received ..........................................especially fom us in 'Merica..............

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
The ultimo rubber ruler is the Stainz, when all said and done. The piccies I've seen of the real thing show that the driver only just fits in.

The whole point about G scale is that it is a rubber ruler. Its more important that different stuff should sit well together, than each model should be spot on in its own right. The proof of that ? Well, you can get away with most models betwen 1:20.3 & 1:29 in the same garden, but stick a Gauge 1 or 7/8ths scale model along side, and the difference is clear enough.

The solution to Phils dilemma ? Easy. Don't mix 'em up. One rake of shorter blue ones and one rake of longer white ones :)

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Steady guys, lets not fall out over trains please, and no it wont by "GSM all over again", whatever that means.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, it's all good fun, and no unintended insult taken :rofl::rofl:

Sometimes I go on, and on, and on, utnil nobody's listening to me, nobody speaks to me, and that's why I'm invisible ..............:happy::happy:

(Not quite verbatim............)

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
those who model American outline have the benefit of cheaper and more accurate models from a variety of manufacturers.

I must say that was a significant factor in my choice to base my garden railway on the dark side. I rate the LGB croc as being every bit as appealing (both as a prototype and model) as a USAT GP38. I could have gone either way until I picked up a brand new GP38 for £140 on Ebay. Must say I was stunned by the quality, detail (its finer than LGB but more inclined to fall off) and pulling power of this loco and the rest as they say is history.

I'm totally happy with my choice but I think its a bit of a shame that really cost alone prevented me from having a Swiss Line.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Aha, yes, very true. There are a number of very tempting locations that I could have set a garden railway, and increasingly in the four (?) years since I've installed mine, there are some very attractive UK options, but it all comes down to the affordability question in the end.

But, I think I might have said this before as well :yawn::yawn: the beauty of this forum is that you can see the pictures of the stuff that you chose not to go with.

I think, in professional circles that's called win/win :D:D