LGB's Rubber rule

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Bought this Cargo Domizill box car 2 weeks ago for £30.00 with metal wheels.

I have just come to run italong with Relax wagon and found this difference.

Have you any other examples of rubber rule???:rolleyes:
8e147b1b25854eddb11b994cfca68812.jpg
8721ef99be3e492db1efcdbfd7bbcfed.jpg
ae6a5487edc241089152227015e331a5.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've said it before and I'll say it again, put LGB alongside Accucraft AMS, and suddenly US outline, accurate scale models start to become extremely good value for money.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but they are American!:rofl:

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
Philbahn said:
Have you any other examples of rubber rule???

Er, where do we start? It's not only length - it's width, gauge, height and just about everything else you can think of. But still, for some reason, we love the stuff! :D

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Bredebahn said:
Philbahn said:

Er, where do we start? It's not only length - it's width, gauge, height and just about everything else you can think of. But still, for some reason, we love the stuff! :D

I'll echo that statement:clap:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Not the first or last time that the rubber ruler has been used by Model Railway Manufacturers though.

Hornby made their original HST MkIII coaches shorter with less windows (probably so they went round small radius curves) and another thread running on the forum atm, is discussing the inaccuracies of the Piko Harz Kamel....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
Not the first or last time that the rubber ruler has been used by Model Railway Manufacturers though.

Hornby made their original HST MkIII coaches shorter with less windows (probably so they went round small radius curves) and another thread running on the forum atm, is discussing the inaccuracies of the Piko Harz Kamel....

Agree with Gizzy, it's not just an LGB thing, it's always been the case in model railways. After all, the vast majority of railway models sold in this country are to OO gauge - pass the smaller rubber ruler for that one please :D.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Bredebahn said:
Philbahn said:

Its because they look right - clever really. 4ft coaches doing R1s might not look too good.:rofl:

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Spule 4 said:
True, even some of Roco's "H0" stock was actually closer to 1:100 at one time:

http://www.roco.com/products/Roco/44455

....and some still is.....but it looks good with Fleischmann and Marklin modern coaching stock built to the same shorter length.....gotta keep all the punters happy:happy:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
watch it now!

i got over the rubber thing-so long as things are functional and sturdy its ok

the shorter toy like stuff has its own charm-but

as mentioned
put it along well modeled models and the short comings are obvious-
run it among its brethren and somehow its ok

off or not -i like the blue bounder

and for me -they are so much more tolerant of poor track and other 'real life' things in the garden than most others

i look at the AMS US coaches and they are gorgeous-the lgb versions look stupid, toy like in proportions and paint schemes--but........
they allow me to fit a train on a siding, run sharper curves and will survive a rain storm-etc-its a compromise between running and space versus modeling in what is really a very large scale -a real yard , could be fifty feet in length and still be small in this scale with proper points sidings and long rolling stock

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
This was my first train-set, when I was about 3 or 4 years old.
Brilliant result of using of a rubber ruler.

David

3aecadfb6c794240870699a1abbf209e.jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
Its because they look right - clever really. 4ft coaches doing R1s might not look too good.:rofl:

USA Trains streamline coaches are almost 3ft long. They look good but boy do they need lovely graceful curves

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
......................... but boy do they need lovely graceful curves

And I thought we were talking trains :nerd::nerd:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
Its an old model based on the standard 4 wheel box van later models were longer and would have matched the Ralax wagon

Dead right - the recent model looks dead right.
www.peyker.com/images/katalog/300/40810.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
Yes but he AMS stuff is very nice to look at but its very poor quality I've rebuilt the gearbox in my Baguley diesel more times than I've spent servicing my fleet from anothe large manufacturer

Yebbut, that's BMS. AMS stuff is different, apart from being US, it's made to different specs.

The AMS plastic stuff, with metal bogies is accurate, but not the sort of stuff you can throw around like LGB. The Accucraft US locos are brass and v v v expensive - but not that bad considering that they're brass and museum quality. I think the SP 4-6-0 can be bought over here for about £1500 - compare that with LGB Aster?

But, as a number of people have pointed out :happy::happy: it's US outline :happy:

But it suits me :D