LGB U class questions

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all

Can anyone tell me whether a LGB U class 0-6-2 tank will comfortably traverse R1 curves?

At present my temporary oval has R1 curves and I don’t want to purchase something that I can’t use.

Second question, DCC fitted locos, will they run on analogue controllers.
Long term plan is for my railway to be DCC when it gets built however in the meantime the temp oval isn’t.

Thanks in advance

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Answer to Q1 yes they run fine on R1. I have had 3 of them and my layout is all R1 curves and points. The only issue I had is with the pony truck when you reverse into R1 points. It is spring loaded to keep it on the track and sometimes the spring is too strong so needs some adjustment. You can find this issue documented on this forum.

To answer your second question, it depends on whether the decoder in the DCC loco is configured to run on analogue. If not you need to adjust CV 29 accordingly. That might be difficult if you don't have a DCC setup!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all

Can anyone tell me whether a LGB U class 0-6-2 tank will comfortably traverse R1 curves?

At present my temporary oval has R1 curves and I don’t want to purchase something that I can’t use.

Second question, DCC fitted locos, will they run on analogue controllers.
Long term plan is for my railway to be DCC when it gets built however in the meantime the temp oval isn’t.

Thanks in advance
To answer your first question, yes a U-class will run on R1 curves. My understanding is that all LGB stock is designed to run on R1. I have two U-class, they will be fine

220509.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 user

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
Answer to Q1 yes they run fine on R1. I have had 3 of them and my layout is all R1 curves and points. The only issue I had is with the pony truck when you reverse into R1 points. It is spring loaded to keep it on the track and sometimes the spring is too strong so needs some adjustment. You can find this issue documented on this forum.

To answer your second question, it depends on whether the decoder in the DCC loco is configured to run on analogue. If not you need to adjust CV 29 accordingly. That might be difficult if you don't have a DCC setup!
Good stuff, was hoping this would be the case, I’d heard about the spring issue previously so I can look into that.

I use DCC on my 00 layouts, so I theory I could probably use my Sprog to change the CV if needs be, just don’t have a control system powerful enough for the G gauge stuff as I use a roco multimaus at present.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Good stuff, was hoping this would be the case, I’d heard about the spring issue previously so I can look into that.

I use DCC on my 00 layouts, so I theory I could probably use my Sprog to change the CV if needs be, just don’t have a control system powerful enough for the G gauge stuff as I use a roco multimaus at present.
Your Multimas ought to be able to manage 1 G loco for short testing and amendment of your CV’s. Not 100% sure but it may be upgradeable to G scale power. Well worth having a chat with Digitrains.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of things - The decoder will be set to operate on analog DC if what you decide to purchase is new from LGB. Second, your Roco Multimaus should operate a LGB single motor loco without any problem. They only need about half an amp of current. The DCC voltage may be a bit low but that would only limit your top speed.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I have been running a U class this weekend, with decoder on DC. The only problem I have had is it hessitates on R3 points due to the traction tyre & the length of the plastic dead section on the point. Now overcome by putting pickups on the first coach & pluging it into the back of the loco.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have been running a U class this weekend, with decoder on DC. The only problem I have had is it hessitates on R3 points due to the traction tyre & the length of the plastic dead section on the point. Now overcome by putting pickups on the first coach & pluging it into the back of the loco.
Be well worthwhile checking to see if you are getting current to all parts of your R3’s. The connections are fickle on them points at best which is why I use jumper wires as replacements on them.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Be well worthwhile checking to see if you are getting current to all parts of your R3’s. The connections are fickle on them points at best which is why I use jumper wires as replacements on them.
I thought you were now air points and battery, Jon?

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all for your advice, I have bitten the bullet and bought a Zillertal U Class.

Will report back on the DCC capabilities.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
All my points have jumpers across the moving bits. The problem with the U is the tyre on the front driving wheel stops pick up. It's like a 0-4-0 going through the point if the plastic bit is on the same side. Maybe the centre driving wheels are a bit stiff & not dropping down hard enough. No problem now as the first coach helps.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
All my points have jumpers across the moving bits. The problem with the U is the tyre on the front driving wheel stops pick up. It's like a 0-4-0 going through the point if the plastic bit is on the same side. Maybe the centre driving wheels are a bit stiff & not dropping down hard enough. No problem now as the first coach helps.
Yes them B traction tires are a pest, bit of a faff but converting the trailing bogie to pick up power will certainly help. Or a replacement wheel set without traction tires, can be done on older ones much easier by just changing a wheel. But newer ones need a complete axle then possible revisions to the wheel bits that the coupling rods fit into.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi. Just picking up on this. Any chance of a simple diagram to show this please? Yes, I am that basic. I have a U class as well as a Stainz which has trouble with R3s. I like the coach idea. I think there is a thread on rewiring R3 points, but adding pickups is new to me.
Trevor

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Just fit the coach with a set of LGB ballbearing wheels, better still 2 axles & plug them into the socket on the back of the loco. I'll try & do a photo tomorrow.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh. Wondered if you were reverting to a bit of track power
Only in my loft railway. Have a U on that but only traverses LGB R1 and Peco points (switches) converted to live frog.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I’d heard about the spring issue previously so I can look into that.
The suspension spring issue for the trailing truck is somewhat insidious in that it is quite hard to see the problem, but you can certainly see the result of reducing the spring tension (by shortening the spring).

I recommend doing it even if you don't think it is necessary!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Even THIS runs on LGB's R1 curves - it looks utterly ridiculous doing so, but.....................................

1657541804058.png

Last edited: