LGB U Class Model No 2070

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
One of my early U Class locos has suffered a mysterious crash ie I don’t recall it happening!
It only came to my notice when I ran it on a visit to another layout which was a simple flat oval with no obstructions close to the track
The loco ran fine for a few minutes in reverse then stopped dead.
Initial examination showed the motion locked solid and the rear of the cylinder which holds the slide bars and which had been glued in place (original?) pulled out of the body of the cylinder.
When I got it home further examination showed the motion bracket(?) to be bent backwards and cracked in 2 places.

It had obviously at some time recently suffered a massive blow.
My questions are, is the motion bracket still available and if so is it a DIY job particularly bearing in mind I have increasingly poor close vision?
I think the image shows the damage pretty well.

Attachments

• DEE9F26E-EDA5-40FC-8AB8-887183E4CF5B.jpeg
    DEE9F26E-EDA5-40FC-8AB8-887183E4CF5B.jpeg
    871.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
The motion bracket is available from Modelland. However it is not clear whether they will post to the UK. Here is the link: Gestängefänger Dampflok Reihe U LGB 20700-E055
Thanks, that is good to know and I will bear it in mind.
I bought from them extensively a few years ago including some U Class components but I appreciate that things may have changed with postage thanks to Brexit.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I just realised that this is not the first time I have had issues with the motion on a U Class. Several years ago the valve rod snapped on one and a drop link on another, both have plastic rods. A check minutes ago on others, I have 6 all named for grandchildren - plus a “spare” :wasntme: reveals yet another with a broken rod. They are all early models so perhaps it is a sign of aging plastic combined with frequent useage.

Last edited:

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Keith,

If you cannot obtain the item from Modelland you could contact Peter ar Chalk Garden Rail as he has contacts in Germany and he has been able to obtain spare parts for me previously.

Good hunting

Martin

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
One of my early U Class locos has suffered a mysterious crash ie I don’t recall it happening!
It only came to my notice when I ran it on a visit to another layout which was a simple flat oval with no obstructions close to the track
The loco ran fine for a few minutes in reverse then stopped dead.
Initial examination showed the motion locked solid and the rear of the cylinder which holds the slide bars and which had been glued in place (original?) pulled out of the body of the cylinder.
When I got it home further examination showed the motion bracket(?) to be bent backwards and cracked in 2 places.

It had obviously at some time recently suffered a massive blow.
My questions are, is the motion bracket still available and if so is it a DIY job particularly bearing in mind I have increasingly poor close vision?
I think the image shows the damage pretty well.
Pretty sure that the glued in part is as original though could have been repaired. I have an old 2089S that has a similar arrangement and both cylinder slide bars have been loose on occasion. I would be tempted to glue back in place with Wood PVA glue that will hold it nicely but nit so much that you cannot withdraw it should the need arise.

As for the broken motion bracket, if you do not have any luck with a replacement some thin metal sheet say Nickel Silver cut to the right width and length of the bar could be glued and pinned with fine pins like Peco SL-14 Track Pins a couple each side of the break will do a manlike job. yes tiny holes with a pinvice will be required. Painted black the repair wiall hardly notice.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Keith,

If you cannot obtain the item from Modelland you could contact Peter ar Chalk Garden Rail as he has contacts in Germany and he has been able to obtain spare parts for me previously.

Good hunting

Martin
Thank Martin it sounds a good option.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty sure that the glued in part is as original though could have been repaired. I have an old 2089S that has a similar arrangement and both cylinder slide bars have been loose on occasion. I would be tempted to glue back in place with Wood PVA glue that will hold it nicely but nit so much that you cannot withdraw it should the need arise.

As for the broken motion bracket, if you do not have any luck with a replacement some thin metal sheet say Nickel Silver cut to the right width and length of the bar could be glued and pinned with fine pins like Peco SL-14 Track Pins a couple each side of the break will do a manlike job. yes tiny holes with a pinvice will be required. Painted black the repair wiall hardly notice.
I will bear it in mind. I had thought that strengthening it rather than trying to remove it might be an option. So long as I can cut out the metal that is!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I will bear it in mind. I had thought that strengthening it rather than trying to remove it might be an option. So long as I can cut out the metal that is!
If you get thin enough Nickel Silver a set of household scissors will do the job, just buy a cheep set from a poundshop do not use dress making ones.

Reactions: 1 user

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
If you get thin enough Nickel Silver a set of household scissors will do the job, just buy a cheep set from a poundshop do not use dress making ones.
:happy::happy: