LGB Track Cleaning Loco

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
My ancient but much loved LGB track cleaning loco has started to strip the drive axle gears. I have looked at the worm drive and measured it at 5.7mm and it looks OK. I can now only think that it is wear on the axle mountings in the gearbox casing. Anyone any ideas please and it I have to replace the gearbox casing, where can I get one from?

Last edited:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The main portion of the loco is a Shoema, so if you can find a second hand one suitable for spares?

Otherwise, I'd ask P&S Models or Chalk Garden Rail....

Reactions: 1 user

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
My ancient but much loved LGB track cleaning loco has started to strip the drive axle gears. I have looked at the worm drive and measured it at 5.7mm and it looks OK. I can now only think that it is wear on the axle mountings in the gearbox casing. Anyone any ideas please and it I have to replace the gearbox casing, where can I get one from?
You should be able to order LGB Track Cleaning Diesel replacement wheels sets with gears from your local LGB Dealer, if that's what you need.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have seen axles wear at the ends near the wheels, also the motor block itself can have wear. Some times the top plate is not screwed down all the way and the motor will lift up. You can buy the axle gears (type C I believe) The motor block is the same one used for the split case motor block, I actually used one in my track cleaner. Stainz also uses that block.

Reactions: 1 user

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
South Staffordshire UK and Co. Wexford Eire
Best answers
Country flag

Hi,

These people should be able to sort you out for drive gears if you give them a call, they are UK based........

info@amazinglittletrains.com

I have no direct connection to them other than a satisfied customer. They sorted out some Stainz drive gears when no-one else had them.

Have fun!

Dave