LGB Track Cleaner

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
My ultra reliable ancient lgb track cleaning loco has developed a strange fault. It intermittently just stops moving with power on (lights and cleaning motor running ) a slight push gets it moving again. No mechanical fault noises so motor problems or brushes?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Check for plastic 'string' around the axle of the cleaning wheels..

Also anything around the driven axles..

They generate a fair bit of heat, and throw the muck about..
It may just need a good service? - I think the fault might be heat-treated?

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Putting my neck on the line :
I would guess it is analogue. The cleaning motor speed control won't work, and the block containing the cleaning motor will be very hot to the touch.

Fix I would do:
New decoder. Relay and rectified track power (could use a Buck convertor to give speed control) and a replacement cleaning motor..

I used to pass the old motors to a club, who would use them to drive the rotating brush, on a sweeper-loco. - They are open to the air in this situation, but only tended to last a short while..

PhilP

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The loco is DCC equipped and I cannot help but think that it is an issue with the motor. You simply push the loco slightly forward or backward, and off it goes for a while.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Assuming clean pick ups, wheels, plungers making contact
New motor....?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Can you replace the brushes?
Do you mean motor brushes. Motors these days with LGB et all are somewhat different to Triang motors of the past, yes they have brushes but not as easily replaced as they are mounted inside a motor cylinder. There have been threads on here how to do it but have sadly been lost in the midst if time, Forum change and updates.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
the early buhlers did have replaceable brushes
i have only once seen them available, and neglected to buy some, decades ago
they are fiddly indeed, and easy to screw up the retaining pressure springs, as i recollect...(my old WPY diesel has them and one motor was stalling on occasion, intermittently, until i messed with the brushes, many , many year back)

i suppose, you could remove the motor, and soak it in meths, run, rinse with meths again and dry, to remove any brush carbon dust that may have collected on the armature, etc., and see...

otherwise, new motor.....???
does it stall on a test track?
does it stall in reverse?
if not in reverse, perhaps some board issue, speed control pot, perhaps you can take it out of the speed control setting, ie i beleive its "1" on the slide switch, (at least on my analog version)

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
the early buhlers did have replaceable brushes
i have only once seen them available, and neglected to buy some, decades ago
they are fiddly indeed, and easy to screw up the retaining pressure springs, as i recollect...(my old WPY diesel has them and one motor was stalling on occasion, intermittently, until i messed with the brushes, many , many year back)

i suppose, you could remove the motor, and soak it in meths, run, rinse with meths again and dry, to remove any brush carbon dust that may have collected on the armature, etc., and see...

otherwise, new motor.....???
does it stall on a test track?
does it stall in reverse?
if not in reverse, perhaps some board issue, speed control pot, perhaps you can take it out of the speed control setting, ie i beleive its "1" on the slide switch, (at least on my analog version)
Thanks for that. It stalls in both directions so I now am convinced it is the motor.