Country flag
Waiting to see the TEE :nerd::nerd:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Gizzy, in a couple of weeks it will have bedded down and blended in. I see you've already made a start on an extension

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Waiting to see the TEE :nerd::nerd:
And so you shall!

This afternoon, after finishing WfH, I decided to get the TEE train out. It's a huge box, but I struggled down stairs with it and placed both power cars and 3 coaches on the track. Not an easy task, as these vehicles are coupled together with a multi-way plug and socket arrangement and locked by a bracket.

I took it very slowly, especially round the R2 return loop. Unfortunately, it collided with the Model Town Tunnel portals. So it was out with the battery power rotary saw, and remove some of the brickwork. Having done the necessary surgery, I tried again, and success!

The next issue, was the return loop. This chord is just over 13 feet long between the rail isolators. A 5 car formation was within this, but if I added another coach?

This was duly done and I tested the train again. It turns out a 6 car formation is just within the return loop isolation blocks! Phew!

Unfortunately, I can't run the full 7 coach set (15 ft 4 in length) round the reverse loop. In all honesty, my short line really doesn't do it justice, and whilst it can negotiate my outer R2 loop, it doesn't look quite right going fast around the curve, so a speed restriction will be enforced.

Anyhow, enough blurb, let's see Mizzy's photographs....

20200526_153252.jpg20200526_154549.jpg20200526_153146.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
And so you shall!

This afternoon, after finishing WfH, I decided to get the TEE train out. It's a huge box, but I struggled down stairs with it and placed to power cars and 3 coaches on the track. Not an easy task, as these vehicles are coupled together with a multi-way plug and socket arrangement and locked by a bracket.

I took it very slowly, especially round the R2 return loop. Unfortunately, it collided with the Model Town Tunnel portals. So it was out with the battery power rotary saw, and remove some of the brickwork. Having done the necessary surgery, I tried again, and success!

The next issue, was the return loop. It is just over 13 feet long, a 5 car formation was within this, but if I added another coach?
This was duly done and I tested the train again. It turns out a 6 car formation is just within the return loop isolation blocks! Phew!

Unfortunately, I can't run the full 7 coach set. In all honesty, my short line really doesn't do it justice, and whilst it can negotiate my outer R2 loop, it wouldn't look right going fast around this curves, so a speed restriction will have to be enforced.

Anyhow, enough blurb, let's see Mizzy's photograghs....

View attachment 266996View attachment 266997View attachment 266998
Pity it is not Battery Powered, the full set could run quite happily on the Dunnybahn.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Pity it is not Battery Powered, the full set could run quite happily on the Dunnybahn.
Well, now you come to mention it, the WWNR could quite easily accommodate it :cool::cool:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Well, now you come to mention it, the WWNR could quite easily accommodate it :cool::cool:
It'll run on Anti-log, as well as Digikal, but the full 7 car unit takes a good 10-15 min to set up.

It has sound in each power car, so when it goes by as a full length train, it's rather like being passed by an HST.

It also needs an estate car to transport, but I might be able to bring it along once the Covid restrictions are done with....

20200526_171657.jpg

Last edited:

adverse camber

Registered
2 Dec 2009
East Anglia
Best answers
Country flag
It'll run on Anti-log, as well as Digikal, but the full 7 car train is 15 ft 4in and takes a good 10-15 min to set up.

It has sound in each power car, so when it goes by as a 7 car unit, it's rather like being passed by an HST.

It also needs an estate car to transport, but I might be able to bring it along once the Covid restrictions are done with....

View attachment 267056
It'll run on Anti-log, as well as Digikal, but the full 7 car train is 15 ft 4in and takes a good 10-15 min to set up.

It has sound in each power car, so when it goes by as a 7 car unit, it's rather like being passed by an HST.

View attachment 267056

Looking good Garry I have been revamping my upper level to reduce the amount fo single track there and this would look great on that once completed. You should bring it along once we are though the Covid.

AC

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I saw one of those on a layout at a model railway show in the north-east a few years ago. It was probably no more than four cars all told, but still very impressive with motor sounds, platform announcements and goodness knows what else.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Garry I have been revamping my upper level to reduce the amount fo single track there and this would look great on that once completed. You should bring it along once we are though the Covid.

AC
I might take you up on that Matthew....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I saw one of those on a layout at a model railway show in the north-east a few years ago. It was probably no more than four cars all told, but still very impressive with motor sounds, platform announcements and goodness knows what else.
I saw the one running at G Rail 3 years ago, on a portable layout. Neil was their electrical support.

They gradually wound it up from a slow speed to full speed.

Fantastic!

Unfortunately, mine doesn't get to run at full tilt, as my line just isn't long enough, and it has a speed restriction when running round the R2 return loop....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It certainly looks and impressive beast, how long a run does it need to be seen in all its glory?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It certainly looks and impressive beast, how long a run does it need to be seen in all its glory?
A continuous run with R3 curves would be fine Paul, like at my mate Norman's.

As I mentioned earlier, I've seen one at G Rail on a (large) portable layout.

But unfortunately, I only have the space for a down along the garden hedge and back again line....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
A continuous run with R3 curves would be fine Paul, like at my mate Norman's.

As I mentioned earlier, I've seen one at G Rail on a (large) portable layout.

But unfortunately, I only have the space for a down along the garden hedge and back again line....
Need a bigger house :nod::nod:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Well I just wasted an hour trying to find a self induced short circuit on the layout!

I have a third reversing chord which links the outer and inner circuits. I wanted to connect this up today, but as it's a line I wouldn't be using often, I decided to connect it to another reversing chord, as both would never be used at the same time. A short 2 core connecting cable was made up, and duly connected up between each line, using the Massoth isolating clamps. They are a bit of a faff at ground level but I got it done.

However, on testing, I could hear the LGB 50080 Reversing Module clicking away in the new metal enclosure, a sure sign of a short circuit somewhere. Powered off and got the multi-meter out, which conformed my suspicions. I disconnected the cable and all was fine. I eventually traced the short to the third chord, and the cause? I have a LGB level crossing (purchased from Tony Le Grys from G rail a couple of years ago) on the chord, but on relocating it, I had accidently put a track joint of Hillman clamps across the springs. Having cursed myself for such a school boy error, I've learnt by my mistake. I have re-sited the crossing where it was meant to be and the problem solved....

20200530_153456_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I decided to check the clearances for my home built snow-plough today, since it was hot and sunny.

thumbnail_20200530_172434.jpg

The van was a tatty old blue post van I brought cheap from Glendale Junction. It is bolted to a Swift Sixteen snow-plough and weight added inside the van to counterbalance. The whole caboodle was spray painted in sunset yellow, a close match to the colour used on LGB maintenance stock such as the TCL.

It does have a huge overhang though, and it has clearance issues on the R1/R2 return loop, so if it ever gets used on the snowy day, my LGB Shoema Plough will be on standby too....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Another one of my resprays.

I brought this with a couple of other LGB wagons from a GSS member. It was a US Bobber Caboose, but it has a European chassis and centre buffers. So it was fitted with a European style roof I brought from Fun & Trains, and sprayed sunset yellow.

thumbnail_20200530_191613.jpg

Normally used as a tool van for my Matra crane, it is seen here posed with Shoema No 60 from my maintenance loco fleet. It's quite a good colour match I reckon....

Last edited:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I finished off the wiring for the track today, by connecting a lead to a LGB 50080 Reverse Module.

My Track maintenance Loco Shoema No 60 was allocated to test the Reverse chord....

thumbnail_20200603_180653.jpg