LGB 65001

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, I have one of these units fitted in one of my tenders. The Chuff rate is so high at low power on the controller. (Sounds faster that it should be )I have recently bought at new power source which puts 23v to the track (analogue) i’m assuming that the higher volts are making the unit run faster that it should. If this all makes sense is there a way to correct this ?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
What is the power unit? I suspect you have PWM output which is fooling the sound card...

You can probably put a filter on the output of the throttle.

s121332513913518739_p102_i2_w640.jpeg

Greg

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
What is the power unit? I suspect you have PWM output which is fooling the sound card...

You can probably put a filter on the output of the throttle.

s121332513913518739_p102_i2_w640.jpeg

Greg
Yes it is pwm, where would I get one from In the uk?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
No clue, sorry... look for a DC filter.... google, and of course the nice people on this site who are in the UK.

Tony Walsham used to make them, but I don't see them in his site, the one pictured is from G Scale graphics.... Also Aristo-Craft made them, so you might check anyone who sold Aristo.

Greg

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 65000 which is the same thing but with European sounds.

You can adjust the speed of the chuff by changing CV settings.

You can set the minimum and maximum speed which will change the chuff rate.

I can't do it now but when I get a chance I will look at the manual to identify the CD settings.

If you want to look yourself go to only trains.com and search for the manual for the 65XXX.

In that manual you will see the CV setting listings.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I would recommend you purchase a LGB controller to use this Sound Module, rather than the PWM one you seem to have....

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 65000 which is the same thing but with European sounds.

You can adjust the speed of the chuff by changing CV settings.

You can set the minimum and maximum speed which will change the chuff rate.

I can't do it now but when I get a chance I will look at the manual to identify the CD settings.

If you want to look yourself go to only trains.com and search for the manual for the 65XXX.

In that manual you will see the CV setting listings.
Here is the manual.

https://www.onlytrains.com/manuals/65000.pdf

CV5 has the maximum speed setting which can be a number between 1 and 255.

The factory default is 255.

I think I run mine somewhere around 150 160.

Assuming yours is set at 255 if you run your loco at half speed you would see what a setting of 127 would get you.

If you are unfamiliar with CV settings reply back and I can explain that.

Last edited:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Changing the chuff rate with a DCC system I believe will not help a DC system with pulses from correcting the high speed at turn on. It will lower he top end, but the pulses will still be seen as full speed. The PWM filter mentioned wiill average out the pulses to a realistic DC voltage for speed.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Changing the chuff rate with a DCC system I believe will not help a DC system with pulses from correcting the high speed at turn on. It will lower he top end, but the pulses will still be seen as full speed. The PWM filter mentioned wiill average out the pulses to a realistic DC voltage for speed.
Hi all, I have one of these units fitted in one of my tenders. The Chuff rate is so high at low power on the controller. (Sounds faster that it should be )I have recently bought at new power source which puts 23v to the track (analogue) i’m assuming that the higher volts are making the unit run faster that it should. If this all makes sense is there a way to correct this ?
Jayamin: You need to use a DCC command station, or a Massoth or LGB PC Programming Module, to adjust the LGB Sound Module's chuff rate by using CV193 (Start Threshold Analog) or CV194(Start Threshold Digital). The default setting is CV193=128 which causes the chuff rate on analog LGB Mogul locomotives, for example, to be out of sync with the wheels revolutions. On analog LGB Moguls, I find CV193=30 to be about right for 4 chuffs/wheel revolution. If you need further fine turning, adjust the overall voltage start rate using CV2 (Startup Voltage). The default is CV2=2; I sometimes set to CV2=4 or higher, for analog LGB Moguls.