LGB 24267 RuKB steam loco 0-6-0TT 99 4652

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I am miffed by LGB trying to tell me mine was a one-off, but as @PaulRhB said it was probably a standard response rather than a thoughtful one.

If the majority of owners have simply gone about modifying the fall plate, then LGB won't know there's a problem - it's one of the issues when manufacturers don't have demonstration railways, they don't learn about the bugs
:confused:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have decided to send the loco back to LGB/Maerklin for "repair" so we'll see what they come back with.
I could have done what MaybachMD MaybachMD did and others suggested and modify the footplate myself but as a matter of principle I would like LGB to acknowledge the problem and fix my loco.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Dave
Thanks for update. Be interesting to see what they come up with.
Maybach MD

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
LGB returned my loco today. They have fixed it by removing the tool box on the tender so that the footplate now has room to lie on top of the tender foot plate, see before and after pictures.

BEFORE
152576_ce54b1bee0f03f2fecf43b30646abb34.jpg

AFTER
IMG_20201001_131825.jpg

Not sure it bears close inspection and I would have thought it would have been easier to reduce the size of the folding footplate, but it now runs round R1 curves no problem. They have reset the decoder which I wasn't expecting but I guess they do that to test it before they return it. It cost me £20 to send it but they paid the return postage, and returned it within 4 weeks.

IMG_20201001_140805.jpg

I am reasonably content with the end result, but given that they ended up modifying the loco, it would have been better if they had acknowledged there was a problem on receipt of my loco, and provided some suggestions on how to modify the loco if desired. That way I would have known it was not a build fault with my particular model, even though I was already pretty sure it wasn't. I might have still asked them to fix it, but I might have decided to fix it myself.

I think the lesson from this is if you can fix it yourself, do it, and in retrospect I wish I had. Lesson learned.:(

Reactions: 1 user

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Dave

Thanks for reporting back. It is an interesting solution. Like you, I would have thought they would have gone for a redesign of the Fall plate. Thanks for taking the trouble to try to resolve the problem more effectively than than my file. I don’t feel quite so bad about my butchery now, though.

Regards

Simon

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I would have thought that as the fault lay with the loco, they should have paid postage both ways.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I would have thought that as the fault lay with the loco, they should have paid postage both ways.
You may be right but I don't really begrudge them that. Different matter if they had tried to charge me for the "repair" but that matter was never raised. My hope is that any future models of this loco take this design flaw into account.