phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I started to have trouble with track power pickup in my old LGB 2045 Ge2/4. I'd tried cleaning the wheels and checked the brushes and skates but was still having problems. The wheel treads were a bit pitted presumably from arcing - this lok has seen quite a few hours operation. I tried using a PC board trace repair pen on the treads but that didn't help any either. I went so far as to order a new lead truck and replacement wheelset for the non-traction tire drive wheels. Unfortunately, the wheelset from Modell-land.de was quartered in the wrong direction as compared to my 2045 and I don't have a wheel puller so I can change it. (It's quartered wrong for my 24450 too. I should contact Modell-land .de about this. But, with the shipping cost involved it's not worth returning.) Out of frustration I opened up the bottom of the gearbox one more time. After spending a few minutes on hands and knees searching for carbon brushes and springs that had gone flying when I pulled the wheels, I realized the original brass brush housings were badly tarnished. Turned out this was the actual electrical conductivity problem all along. The first photo shows one original brush assembly and what I replaced it with. This is the currently used 16mm carbon brush unit. A Massoth no. 8313608 in this case. The second pic show the new brushes installed in the gear box. They are a direct replacement for the originals.

2045 wheel brushes - 1 _1_.jpg2045 wheel brushes - 1.jpg

I could have a saved couple of bucks by cleaning up the brass brush housings. But, re-installing the wheels with the original loose spring and brush assemblies is a real PITA.

The Ge2/4 once again runs like the champ it was.

Next time I need to open up my old 2040 Krok and 2070D U-type steam lok I'll make sure to replace their original carbon brush assemblies too. By the way, I ended up using an ESU LokPilot XL decoder in my 2070D. I also did a little painting while I was at it. Nice to see it running outside. I'll have to add a few pics in the future.

Phil S.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Gosh! Never seen any as bad as that! - Mind you, only seen brass housings a couple of times..

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
No way. I would neither take the time nor make the effort to clean them up. Back in ancient history, LGB didn't use the integrated brush units like that on the right. They used a brass shell and separate springs and carbon brushes. That's what is shown on the left and came out of the 2045. The carbon brushes were only held in the shell by the back face of the wheels. Remove the wheels and the brushes and the springs went flying. The integrated brush units not only stay together they make it much easier to put things back together. I'm sure they sped up assembly on the factory floor too.

Phil S.

Last edited: