On the other side no cable till No5 then No7

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have just acquired a new old stock Allegra 20220 (Analogue).

I have also got the decoder from the digital version - the E240623 decoder, which is is available as a retrofit item. this has been plugged in without issue, but it did not come with a loudspeaker, so I need to get one for the unit. Can anyone advise which speaker to buy and also where it plugs in(I presume it plugs into the board rather than the decoder).

Thanks

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Once I get into the workshop..
I can dig one out, and check for you..

PhilP

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
Thanks Phil - it's much appreciated - if you have a potentiometer installed, it would be good to know where goes as well - I have a Massoth pot that I can try with it.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
Phill a long long time ago you mentioned the below while fitting one of these LGB Allegra 20220 - first impressions..

Apr 30, 2014 - Philp.
"Just had the £65 Marklin decoder and fitted it in one of these..
you do not get any fitting instructions, but do not really need any for the decoder as such..

Take the centre carriage apart. Pull out the serial board. Remove the three screws holding the main board. flip it over, and solder two wires to the pads for the speaker connections. Flip board back, ans replace screws. Plug in a volume pot. - I recommend this, as CV's are so awkward to change. Plug in decoder. solder wires to loudspeaker. Secure loudspeaker, and use one of the stand-offs to fix the volume control.

Job done, and it all works as it should.. No programming necessary."

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you....
Was it really 2014?

No one was sure (initially) if the Marklin decoder had sound. - It still seems very cheap.

I had had the misfortune to fit a 'standard' Massoth XLS decoder, when they came as a kit, with 90 degree headers, and were a nightmare!

At least we now have an answer for the OP.

PhilP

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Ok thanks, I'll have to take another look at the board - based on my first look I thought one of the miro ct sockets was the speaker and the other the pot. I do at least have a speaker now, so that's good :)

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

I have fitted the chip from 20225 to the 20220, soldered on connections for a speaker, fitted a potentiometer, but am struggling to program or read the chip. I am using the sprog unit, and jmri decoder pro, but all I can seem to get is either 127 or 0 for all cvs depending to the read method used.

I have used the programming cable to connect the one of the end coaches as per the manual, but all I get is the destination board lighting up.

Has anyone tried programming the allegra with a sprog?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

I have fitted the chip from 20225 to the 20220, soldered on connections for a speaker, fitted a potentiometer, but am struggling to program or read the chip. I am using the sprog unit, and jmri decoder pro, but all I can seem to get is either 127 or 0 for all cvs depending to the read method used.

I have used the programming cable to connect the one of the end coaches as per the manual, but all I get is the destination board lighting up.

Has anyone tried programming the allegra with a sprog?
Are you definitely using the special lead, to connect the centre car?

It may also just be the Sprog will not supply enough current for the Allegra?

PhilP

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Are you definitely using the special lead, to connect the centre car?

It may also just be the Sprog will not supply enough current for the Allegra?

PhilP

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I'm using the connector lead with the 4 grey wires.

It could be a a current issue, but was just trying to see if anyone has been able to program one and what hardware / settings they used.