LGB 040 Tanker

Tizaker

Registered
Hi all,
Just purchased a LGB 040 tanker Number 994607 (LGB cat 92079.5) Loco sold as being new, no box and is coloured black with a red chassis and cost £50. My question, is this a good loco and can it be converted to a smoker and if so how to do it ?
Regards
Rob

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
It sounds to me like a black version of the Otto loco which is usually sold with starter sets - eg http://www.justgardenrailways.co.uk...gons-oval-track-controller-g-gauge-new-boxed/ < Link To http://www.justgardenrail...ler-g-gauge-new-boxed/

£50 is a very good price for one of these new - often they go for that sort of price (or sometimes more) secondhand on eBay. The chassis block on these is generally good but it depends on whether it was made in Korea - the quality of plastic on the Korean locos is not so good. Most of my locos were bashed from the Otto type chassis and they chug along quite nicely - eg http://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/how-i-assembled-grs-hunslet-loco-kit.html < Link To http://riksrailway.blogsp...-hunslet-loco-kit.html

They are not designed to take a smoke unit but I wouldn't mind suspecting that someone somewhere on the forum has added a smoke unit to one in the past.

Rik

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The chassis is that designed for the Porter loco, at one time LGB offered one of these with factory fitted smoke, cat no. 22771.
I think a problem may be the different chimney design, I'm not sure that the Otto's could be opened out to suit a smoke unit.

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers
Yes you can do it, as I have done so! If you have not got the parts instruction leaflet, you can dowlnoad it from here.
http://www.champex-linden.de/download_lgb_explosionszeichnungen/92079-1.pdf < Link To http://www.champex-linden...eichnungen/92079-1.pdf
These locos have no voltage reducing stabilising circuits, so will will need a smoke unit that will handle 18 -22 Volts. ( 5 Volts will result in a costly puff of smoke!)
You will need to take the body off the chassis, and remove the chimney.
Pop the grill across the top of the chimney off, I carefully used a small screwdriver as a lever, take your smoke unit and insert it down the stack. There should be some ridges for it to sit on (sorry can't remember the part number of the one I used so it's best you measure)
I connected it to the wires that supplied the front head light, using two very small block connectors (again check carefully for space and you have given yourself enough wire to work with)
One other thing I did, was to fit a small sliding switch under the front of the engine, so I could switch the unit off, if I did require smoke or had run out of oil.
Trust this helps!

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
it easy to convert a otto, you need a 18volt insert not a 5v and yes i would put a switch on it, fits happily in the stack, did a couple before i went entirly over to stainz locos

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
LGB were no allowed to sell Toytrain branded locos with smoke units as they were marketed at younger children and had to comply with the EEC toy safety laws for the yonger age band. They did however sell an 18v smoke unit in a Toytrain branded bag and the sets instructions had a diagram showing how to fit it!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
ive got the the green 30th anniv version-made in germany
these are great locos imho
simple, diminutive
noisier slightly than a stainz
reasonably weighted too

i fitted mine with an 18v smoker
and as i recall
the loco actually has prongs for the purpose of plugging in the smoker
all i recall is that it was easy and there was some sort of factory provision on the little board (its been several years since i did it)

heres my 2 cents
dont bother
why?
(i love smoke in my locos btw)
the otto runs very efficiently, ie, like a bat out of hell on not very much voltage
so to get enough voltage for the loco to smoke
you are running not merely a a good clip, but one that challenges continued adhesion on the curves!

give it a go, if you like
i havent bothered to remove my smoker from my otto,
but i can tell you, knowing what i do now, i wouldnt have popped for the 15-20 dollars for the unit, given the above

this coming from a guy that is absolutely OK with my stainzs and 2015s running fast enough to smoke profusely (15-20v!!) (on R3s of course)

otto wil lbe a bit quieter btw, if you lightly grease with a plastic compatible teflon grease-dont know what it is about teflon, but it seems to do more in this regard than the LGB grease

the alternative would be to do a step down in voltage and use a 5 v

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I know this an old thread, but pick one of these up from the members sale at the G Rail. My investigation shows that is was part of starter set 70502, though the detailing on mine is slightly different. Being part of a starter set would account for no box, but having given it a quick spin on my test track very happy. Bought it to test track continuity as it is laid, as I appreciate putting a meter across the track will not provide under load voltage, and this will provide a basic "how good is the track" and have fun running it.View media item 3049View media item 3048

Reactions: 1 users

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
They are great little locos. Mine is fitted with the Massoth Small Loco Chip.

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I agree. This was the first LGB engine I owned. Has always been reliable and doesn't get stuck on three-way points - no traction tyre!

Geoff

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I agree. This was the first LGB engine I owned. Has always been reliable and doesn't get stuck on three-way points - no traction tyre!

Geoff
Now that is one of the best reasons I have heard for buying an Otto! May be that I will be on the lookout for some cheep ones to go on my Tramway when or if I build it getting rid of Stainz and LGB Steam Trams in the process.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
My Otto is currently in pieces as I'm fitting an Massoth eMotion LS sound decoder and a Massoth Round pulsed smoke unit. I will finish it eventually :)