Just started small layout

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I also had a 'soft-toy of colour', watched a certain TV program of people dressed-up, singing, and a small collection of enamelled badges..
In my innocence (and defence) I did not associate any of these with real people.

Does this make me a bad person?
Or, just a Child of my time?
A child of your time - and exactly as you say - we did not associate these with real people any more than we did, say, teddy bears.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
My layout is an out and back, but I do have a oval for testing or just watching the trains go by....

layout.jpg

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I think you lot are all selfish and unfeeling, none of you sparing a thought for those of us who do not have a layout in any size, shape or form.

dig 180303016.JPG

David

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
I belonged to a club. Everybody ran roundy-roundy. We'd get invited to each other's homes. The host would spend a month or more getting ready. His wife would have made little sandwiches. We'd arrive. The train would run around. We sat and ignored the train and ate the sandwiches. Then we went home.

Today my friends come over and, taking on a variety of roles, we run trains together according to our train orders. It's a mildly complex game for adults.

I've tried the other and I don't like it. I've tried this and I love it. All I can say is do what you know. Do what you love. Answer the child's question, "Is that all it can do?" I suggest you try the other. I hope you will become a convert.

Don't invite me to come to watch your train go round and round. I gave that up before I was twelve.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
I HATE Ovaltine!

I will be a Horlicks-ite, if I may? :think::)
There is room for all Phil, unfortunately I am old enough to remember the jingle for Ovaltine, which was to be sung at the inaugural meeting.:D

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I think you lot are all selfish and unfeeling, none of you sparing a thought for those of us who do not have a layout in any size, shape or form.

View attachment 268214

David
You expect me to feel sorry for a guy who can build the models you do? More like envy. Well, maybe a little sorry. But if you keep adding to that length of track, at some point it will qualify as a layout.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I think I'll sit this one out. I can get into trouble just opening my mouth, even if it's just to sip tea, or a pint or two.
John is a kind friend of mine, and I've known him to spend hours promoting our hobby, with children, at train shows; where the track was little more than a SMALL oval, with possibly, one or two sidings. The children, and even adults very much enjoyed John's presentation; and yes, the children did ask "What else does it do..?"
John would quickly let the child stop the train at one of those sidings, and teach the child to deliver the car to the industry. Thus, it educated the child, on the reason for a railway, and the children enjoyed it that much more.
There is value to find many different pleasures, within this very flexible hobby of OURS. Sharing one's passion for these different pleasures, is of great value, on this web page.
Thank you, everyone, for contributing all sorts of views on this subject.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
I belonged to a club. Everybody ran roundy-roundy. We'd get invited to each other's homes. The host would spend a month or more getting ready. His wife would have made little sandwiches. We'd arrive. The train would run around. We sat and ignored the train and ate the sandwiches. Then we went home.

Today my friends come over and, taking on a variety of roles, we run trains together according to our train orders. It's a mildly complex game for adults.

I've tried the other and I don't like it. I've tried this and I love it. All I can say is do what you know. Do what you love. Answer the child's question, "Is that all it can do?" I suggest you try the other. I hope you will become a convert.

Don't invite me to come to watch your train go round and round. I gave that up before I was twelve.

View attachment 268214

David
The ownership of that superb train precludes sympathy I’m afraid

View attachment 268214

David
I would think that this lovely example would be welcome on any layout, could you take a picture of the coaches from the side?

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The Claptowte Railway - Freight Stock
could you take a picture of the coaches from the side?

I refer you to the Media Album ' The Claptowte Railway - Passenger Stock' and the sister album 'The Claptowte Railway - Freight Stock', these albums show all of the Claptowte Railway stock from various angles, including interior views. You can click on the links below to as a shortcut to the files. Clicking on any of the images will take you to a further link under CAPTION, below the image, to see how the vehicle was created.

The Claptowte Railway - Passenger Stock
The Claptowte Railway - Freight Stock

dig 190904009.JPG

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

1592206785024.png

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Each to their own, but let each manage their railway in their way, and see the good bit for what they are, and not judged against your own standard.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
David,
Whilst I sympathise, on lack of railway.. You only have yourself to blame! ;)

If you had let your superb garden get into a bit of a mess.. The 'Domestic Authorities' would have jumped at the chance of it being 'tidied', with a bit of a railway in it. :p

Oh, and how-come, you have not built an 'exhibition-full' of base-board / modules yet? - What else have you had to do in Lockdown? :giggle:

We are all waiting for the invite, and to see the magnificence of your Wife's trimmed bush. :blush: - And the rest of the plantings..

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
how-come, you have not built an 'exhibition-full' of base-board / modules yet? - What else have you had to do in Lockdown?

Phil

I have a whole raft of modelling projects that I was hoping to get done during the lockdown, but now only having only one eye it's a bit limiting. I am hoping that once I have had my operation, and assuming it is successful, progress can be made.

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Phil

I have a whole raft of modelling projects that I was hoping to get done during the lockdown, but now only having only one eye it's a bit limiting. I am hoping that once I have had my operation, and assuming it is successful, progress can be made.

David

All the best for that, David.. Any news on a date yet?
PhilP.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice Henri, and you’ve got shelter from the rain, how mature are the plants?
This picture is from spring last year, so nearly a year old. The garden needs regular maintenance to keep the trains going, but with this size, it's a simple job!

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
It must be the covid lockdown we're all so tense these days...?

With only a few meters to play an oval is quite handy to have non-attended operation. The sidings make for GREAT operational fun. You can even run end-to-end trams! Even automated if you wish to do so...

Space is limited so I tried to get most use out of it and still have it look like a garden (planter) with a train in it.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
It's nice to see a new layout of any kind taking shape, I hope that you continue to build and enjoy it and share the reults with us. All shapes and sizes welcome here. At a time when manufacturers need as much support as possible and a couple have closed down quite recently, surely the best thing for the hobby is to be encouraging all that want to get involved.

Some of the most prolific posters and with the most established layouts on this forum have continuous loops. I've yet to see any have pot shots taken at them, I wouldn't worry too much.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The ownership of that superb train precludes sympathy I’m afraid

I would think that this lovely example would be welcome on any layout, could you take a picture of the coaches from the side?
CONTRARY to some remarks, from people who for various reasons, do not have railways of their own.
I care very much about those in that group. That is why I have an open door for them to come out and join in the fun on my/our railway. Johnny does the same thing.
By SHARING, we all learn, and share, while building great friendships. No selfishness here. I don't know about where you live...!!!

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Oh wow. And here was I thinking we were all playing nicely...

I wrote a long and cogent diatribe. I have deleted it. Two words suffice: Rule Eight.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Can we go back to how Pete is getting on with his set up, please?