trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
There is nothing wrong with the title of your thread!

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
To PortSladePete:
Nothing wrong with an oval on (in) the grass..

View attachment 268178

At least you won't have to lift it every time you want to get the mower out!
. Our “lawn” is nothing like your pristine example lol, whilst digging I discovered lawn grubs and other not very nice creatures , We live on mostly granite, so other than using explosives I thought this was a reasonable bet, although our grass is particularly prone to growing anywhere but where we want it to. Can’t see what the loco is, but thanks for your vote for us ovalites.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
My brain was constantly scrambled at work, my point was aimed squarely at someone who thinks his model runs like the real railway, and my fun should be replaced by something far more serious. Yes you can run to a scaled time timetable, you can even replicate the various events if you want to be at work, I don’t. I have no problem with anyone running a model railway how they want to, I have a problem with people telling me how to.
As you are aware, the real railway has to deal with moving real people, cope with track circuit failures, bridge strikes, suicides, etc etc. I am of an age where social media is rarely frequented, I have no knowledge of the apparently strict rules on titles, or other seemingly accepted etiquette, and to be honestI don’t want to.. I do however, recognise rudeness and arrogance, guess this site is not for me if I can’t play trains. By the way, I am in Cornwall, so your very nice invite is a bit far for me.
Please do not leave because of that one person. I think he went way over the line of constructive criticism to an attitude of my way is the only way which was rude in your thread. My own railway is at the moment a single circuit with no points. I set a train running and carry on with other things like gardening, reading or maybe a liquid refreshment. It gives me great joy to look up occasionally to see my train pootling round. There is no time table, it is not exactly 39" above ground and I mix up anything and everything. It is also in MY garden.

Keep with us

Paul

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My brain was constantly scrambled at work, my point was aimed squarely at someone who thinks his model runs like the real railway, and my fun should be replaced by something far more serious. Yes you can run to a scaled time timetable, you can even replicate the various events if you want to be at work, I don’t. I have no problem with anyone running a model railway how they want to, I have a problem with people telling me how to.
As you are aware, the real railway has to deal with moving real people, cope with track circuit failures, bridge strikes, suicides, etc etc. I am of an age where social media is rarely frequented, I have no knowledge of the apparently strict rules on titles, or other seemingly accepted etiquette, and to be honestI don’t want to.. I do however, recognise rudeness and arrogance, guess this site is not for me if I can’t play trains. By the way, I am in Cornwall, so your very nice invite is a bit far for me.
Yes Pete please do not leave us just cos I disagree with some of your post it does not mean that I do not respect that you like of just running trains round a loop. Getting away from the rat race while you are at it.

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Pete please do not leave us just cos I disagree with some of your post it does not mean that I do not respect that you like of just running trains round a loop. Getting away from the rat race while you are at it.
Absolutely nothing to do with your views or disagreement, maybe the German railways run without as much stress as my experience lol. It was purely a reaction to views that were totally out of order. I have a more “realistic “ OO dcc layout indoors. but don’t want to spend a fortune replicating that outdoors. Regards Pete

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
All I know is that if any sensible person saw my layout, they'd have a fit!
It's ground level, short, tightly curved R1s max, and about as level as the Great Yarmouth scenic railway. BUT....I enjoy it

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Pete, My advice for what it is worth would be not to leave this group, But stay in background and use all the usefull information it provides, At the end of the day it is your railyway and garden and you do as you find most fun for you. I myself have been a member of this group for quite a few years and have come across some rudeness myself being told by another member once that if i did not understand computers i had no right having a railway. My railway at present is at my waist height as i have back problems and getting down on the ground is no longer possible, I have two tracks running side by side with no points or anything fancy and run analogue. Still it is my railway and i have hours of enjoyment from it as do my Grandchildren
Hope you carry on with your railway and most importantly Have Fun
Kind Regards Ped ( pete )

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
All I know is that if any sensible person saw my layout, they'd have a fit!
It's ground level, short, tightly curved R1s max, and about as level as the Great Yarmouth scenic railway. BUT....I enjoy it
Welcome to my world, there seems to be a large percentage of East Coast inhabitants on this site. I am definitely not sensible, cannot see the point when it’s something I do for enjoyment. Still think there should be a section for us “ovalites“

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Pete, My advice for what it is worth would be not to leave this group, But stay in background and use all the usefull information it provides, At the end of the day it is your railyway and garden and you do as you find most fun for you. I myself have been a member of this group for quite a few years and have come across some rudeness myself being told by another member once that if i did not understand computers i had no right having a railway. My railway at present is at my waist height as i have back problems and getting down on the ground is no longer possible, I have two tracks running side by side with no points or anything fancy and run analogue. Still it is my railway and i have hours of enjoyment from it as do my Grandchildren
Hope you carry on with your railway and most importantly Have Fun
Kind Regards Ped ( pete )
Thanks Ped, I have had more posts of encouragement than I expected, which is in itself encouraging. If I could have put mine higher I would have, (had spinal operation in January ), but I was happy to be able to have the opportunity to have any sort of layout. If one day I can’t get back on my feet, I shall just have to stay there and run trains.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The key is to play trains and have fun.

I am a bit of an ovalite - the problem is that my oval is an irregular shape and the garden is a tad larger, but the point is that trains run and it makes me smile :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I HATE Ovaltine!

I will be a Horlicks-ite, if I may? :think::)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Should there should be Ovalite categories? I would be in simpletons,, more adventurous could be completely carried away etc
The reason that I am a 'roundy roundy' - a termsometimes used disparagingly by those who like to OPERATE their railways, is that as a young lad, my father would sometimes borrow a friend's car to take us out into the Surrey countryside on a Saturday afternoon. Now, sometimes, you'd see a railway line and, just occasionally, you'd see a train (Surrey in the late 50s, it would most likely be an EMU of some sort) and it would be going from somewhere to somewhere - but the important thing was that there was a train trundling along the track.

And that's what my toy trains do in my garden >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

Attachments

• PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 0

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I HATE Ovaltine!

I will be a Horlicks-ite, if I may? :think::)
Careful, you are talking about proprietary products which someone here seems to take exception to.

Paul

PS I prefer hot chocolate.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Careful, you are talking about proprietary products which someone here seems to take exception to.

Paul

PS I prefer hot chocolate.

I also had a 'soft-toy of colour', watched a certain TV program of people dressed-up, singing, and a small collection of enamelled badges..
In my innocence (and defence) I did not associate any of these with real people.

Does this make me a bad person?
Or, just a Child of my time?