Isn't it amazing what you can find out on the internet?

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone

When I started drafting this post, I was planning to ask if anyone could help me untangle the origins of this 6-wheel diesel loco . . .

1563978300500.png

. . . that I bought on German Ebay last year.

At first glance, as a six-wheel diesel with jackshaft, it’s a bit like the LGB 2x59x HF130 diesels, but it’s much older as it has a clam-shell motor block. Also the cab is off a 2090-series (4-wheel) diesel, neatly extended downwards (and the grille, handrails and top engine cover are from the same product). The running board and sideframes look as if they are a single plastic moulding, but the side frames are much thinner than any LGB model I have seen, and there is one point where I think I see a glint of metal, suggesting the detail has been scratchbuilt onto a plasticard sideframe. Truly the work of a master craftsman!

It is while writing the draft of this post that I idly put “LGB M5 NHE” into a search engine, only to discover posts on www.buntbahn.de in 2007 by Dr. Hans-Jörg Windberg, including a photo of this very loco, and described (translation by Google) as “V5 (here labeled with M5) … of my father was based on an old plan in the LGB Depesche from the small, originally 2-axle LGB diesel locomotive” and “HF diesel in connection Kistenfabrik (the locomotive is a conversion of my father from the small two-axle LGB locomotive, after an older LGB-Depesche)”.

Now, of course, I want to find that “sometime before 2007” (probably a long time before 2007) copy of ‘LGB Depesche’ that inspired this model, and possibly led to LGB producing their own 2x59x models (from 2004, I believe). Can anyone assist?

I also found a number of pictures of this loco in a PDF that is obviously pages 14 to 29 of some publication. Does anyone recognise the ‘house style’ of
https://shop.vgbahn.info/media/pdf/.../1601702_Leseprobe.pdf ? My best guess is that it’s from a publication in the MIBA (Die Eisenbahn im Modell) series . . . but which one? My grasp of the German language is limited to what Google translate can do for me. That article (duly translated) would also be of interest to those of you that use “card systems” to plan freight movements around your layouts. It also provides an interesting trackplan of the indoor G-Scale railway (NHE - Nordharz-Eisenbahn) that this loco ran on.

All the best

David

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It does look nice with the wider cab of the 2090 series; mine is the Duo version, but I once had one of the yellow ones too.

However, I won't be converting my 2 HF130s....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
SevenOfDiamonds SevenOfDiamonds You've only pasted in the truncated link to that pdf, so the link doesn't work. Can you post the full link?

[edit] Never mind, I found it!

https://shop.vgbahn.info/media/pdf/Musterseiten/1601702_Leseprobe.pdf

So that's an example/extract from this publication as far as I can tell
vgb-1601702-800x800.jpg

Trying a google search for MIBA Kompakt, VGB 1601702 brings up a few hits but mostly out of stock, but VGB seem to offer the online version for 16.99 Euros
MIBA | Gartenbahnen

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
'No fun without rules'....hmmm, sounds like a jolly jape to me.

Each to his own, I guess.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
SevenOfDiamonds SevenOfDiamonds You've only pasted in the truncated link to that pdf, so the link doesn't work. Can you post the full link?

[edit] Never mind, I found it!

https://shop.vgbahn.info/media/pdf/Musterseiten/1601702_Leseprobe.pdf

vgb-1601702-800x800.jpg

Trying a google search for MIBA Kompakt, VGB 1601702 brings up a few hits but mostly out of stock, but VGB seem to offer the online version for 16.99 Euros
MIBA | Gartenbahnen

This excellent book/magazine is still available from Gartenbahn Magazin's webshop, here:

I have a copy, it's got a lot of useful stuff in it....

Jon.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
However, I won't be converting my 2 HF130s....

In addition to the pictured one, I have two LGB-made HF130 diesels, though neither is as it left the factory. Maybe I'll start a separate thread!

Yes, I found that . . .

This excellent book/magazine is still available. I have a copy, it's got a lot of useful stuff in it....

. . . but not, I presume, anything about this particular layout?

In fact, a bit more digging has revealed that the article in question (though with a different page layout) was featured in MIBA magazines for January and February 2006 . . .

MIBA | MIBA 1/2006 (including a link to a PDF of the first few pages of the magazine. Page 10 is the first page of the article in question).

MIBA | MIBA 2/2006 (including a link to a PDF of the first few pages of the magazine. Pages 8 & 9 are the first two page of the continuation of article in question. Page 9 includes a photo of the diesel loco that is now mine).

To stop this thread getting too esoteric (and knowing how much everyone here likes pictures), I thought I'd post a picture of the trackplan of the (indoor) layout that my loco used to run on.

1564117910653.png

. . . and the hidden bit underneath . . .
1564118083924.png

But all of that was a minor (if interesting) diversion. The real question is has anyone got a stash of pre-2007 LGB Depesche magazines?

All the best

David

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
i got the depesche from No1 (jan1. 1969) to No 90 (sept 1997)
so, if anybody could give me a time-frame, where to look, i can try to find it.

anybody knows, in which year this loco was for the first time in the catalogues?

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
in which year this loco was for the first time in the catalogues?

I'm afraid we need some later editions of Depesche. 20590 and 21590, the first two factory-made LGB versions both featured in the "New Items for 2005" publication . . .

1564208601873.png

. . . and I'm sure I saw a Champex Linden newsletter from late 2005 (that I can't find again!) saying that they were both launched in October 2005.

The Depesche in question (which apparently inspired the building of the model I now own) HAD to pre-date the introduction of the factory version, but it's hard to guess by how much.

Grateful for any assistance.

All the best

David

DougLN

NARROW GAUGE RAILWAYS
5 Jul 2010
DIDCOT,OXON
Best answers
Country flag
In the Leaflet shown I got the Black one on 3 May 2003 & Red one on 3 Oct 2003 both new from GRS. Both excellent models & still running very well.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I got the Black one on 3 May 2003 & Red one on 3 Oct 2003
That's really interesting, as it seems to contradict what the internet is telling me, so I am curious what manufacturing date is shown on the gold sticker underneath them.

I have two, and both are the maroon 21590 version. The one I bought new from GRS (in 2006) has 001095 (September 2005) on the sticker and the identical model I subsequently bought second-hand has 001125 (December 2005).

All the best

David

DougLN

NARROW GAUGE RAILWAYS
5 Jul 2010
DIDCOT,OXON
Best answers
Country flag
You are correct David, I misread my list! The Black one was 8/10/05 & Red 19/10/05 both GRS. The Gold stickers both 001095. Doug