I found this in a cow shed!All done!!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes in a cow shed,we went to a farm on Saturday as eldest grand daughters wanted to go and see the lambs,I really really didn`t want to go but duty called,my son took his dog so when they all went into the shed to the animals granddad stayed outside with the pup,this is an old dairy farm that has been transformed into a shop and craft center with the shops etc in the old farm buildings,cow sheds and so on,me standing around noticed a sign for a model shop and so when they reappeared it was against the law not to take a look,suprised at what a well stocked shop it was albeit in the smaller scales so I wandered around,thought there may have been some plasticard or some other useful bits,,,,,,,,then on a shelf I noticed a large red Big Hauler box,faded to purple on one end and the clear plastic turning yellow so worth a look,,,,,,,,inside was a brand new mint factory fresh little Colobian 2 4 2,it still had the smoke fluid bottle full and spare couplings in the sealed bags,marked up at £150 down to £100 and when I asked what she would take for it she said £80,and yes I took it home,out of the box ITS in perfect condition,I assume it all works fine but as yet not tested it and of course will need the oilcan around it,some items need changing,the timber load in the tender is terrible looking and something needed to be done about the open wheeled rear pony truck as to me looks like an add on and just not right to my eye and a possible repaint out of the WP&Y livery but I like the colour,no idea how old she is but gone to a good home:cool:;);),I`m glad I went now!!!BARN FIND 005.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes in a cow shed,we went to a farm on Saturday as eldest grand daughters wanted to go and see the lambs,I really really didn`t want to go but duty called,my son took his dog so when they all went into the shed to the animals granddad stayed outside with the pup,this is an old dairy farm that has been transformed into a shop and craft center with the shops etc in the old farm buildings,cow sheds and so on,me standing around noticed a sign for a model shop and so when they reappeared it was against the law not to take a look,suprised at what a well stocked shop it was albeit in the smaller scales so I wandered around,thought there may have been some plasticard or some other useful bits,,,,,,,,then on a shelf I noticed a large red Big Hauler box,faded to purple on one end and the clear plastic turning yellow so worth a look,,,,,,,,inside was a brand new mint factory fresh little Colobian 2 4 2,it still had the smoke fluid bottle full and spare couplings in the sealed bags,marked up at £150 down to £100 and when I asked what she would take for it she said £80,and yes I took it home,out of the box ITS in perfect condition,I assume it all works fine but as yet not tested it and of course will need the oilcan around it,some items need changing,the timber load in the tender is terrible looking and something needed to be done about the open wheeled rear pony truck as to me looks like an add on and just not right to my eye and a possible repaint out of the WP&Y livery but I like the colour,no idea how old she is but gone to a good home:cool:;);),I`m glad I went now!!!View attachment 250341
Well, Jon S just resurrected a cuople from his shed as well - a Columbian revival :clap::clap::clap:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Mmmmm.........Columbian, coffee that is. I have a fresh hot mega mug to hand right now :) Look forward to seeing you working your magic on that loco Rio. I never knew they existed till another one was mentioned in a post a couple of months ago. Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mmmmm.........Columbian, coffee that is. I have a fresh hot mega mug to hand right now :) Look forward to seeing you working your magic on that loco Rio. I never knew they existed till another one was mentioned in a post a couple of months ago. Max
They were an early offering from Bachmann, along with the first track-powered Bug Maulers. The 2-4-2 arrangement limited haulage capacity, but the name 'Columbia' itself has some interest.

As ever, George Schreyer has some helpful tips :nod::nod:

Bachmann 2-4-2 Columbia Tips

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
They were an early offering from Bachmann, along with the first track-powered Bug Maulers. The 2-4-2 arrangement limited haulage capacity, but the name 'Columbia' itself has some interest.

As ever, George Schreyer has some helpful tips :nod::nod:

Bachmann 2-4-2 Columbia Tips

Saved that! I have one or two of those.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Rhino,I had forgotten about George`s site,he says that LSOL had said that a mk2 version was on the cards with a vertical motor,taking the lubrication plug out from the bottom of the loco it appears this one is in fact a later model and should also have less derailing problems with any luck,the transformation has started as last evening the white walls on the tender wheels went on to match the loco,:clap:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice find. Regarding those rea Pony Wheels I would suggest a look see to work out how much they stick out on your sharpest curves. If no stick out some pipe work could be added to help loose the open look somewhat.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
The mk1’s were more powerful than the 2.6.0 versions! Lovely little loco but they were prone to cracked gears on the driving axle. If it does go you’d probably have to source them elsewhere now unless you ream it out and clamp it well while it sets. I think you had to pull the wheel off the end from memory.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Wouldn't worry about the rear axle, Neil

Timmo

Registered
25 Apr 2016
Bath
Best answers
Country flag
And here are photos of the prototype of the Bachmann model.HawaiiHistoric18.jpgNo 5. July 2002.jpg

The colour photo was taken after restoration in 2002.

Tim

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice find. Regarding those rea Pony Wheels I would suggest a look see to work out how much they stick out on your sharpest curves. If no stick out some pipe work could be added to help loose the open look somewhat.
Yes Jon,the chassis is very open at the rear,much thought has already gone into the project,i`m thinking some sort of firebox outline,bolts,rivets,pipework,cylinders,maybe some sort of brake detail,as for the rear pony truck I want to "cover" the wheels with some sort of axle box and suspension detail,,,I did the same sort of detail on my Indy 2 6 0,not posted that one as went into the box about 2 yrs ago ready to be weathered,another rountoit,must have another look at it soon!!

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wouldn't worry about the rear axle, Neil

View attachment 250372
Thanks for the pic Ian,but that back wheel needs covering up,to my eye its just does not look right,still sticking with the idea of the outside axle box detail,if it will work as very limited room down there on the model but I think its possible,just gotta try!!!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the pic Ian,but that back wheel needs covering up,to my eye its just does not look right,still sticking with the idea of the outside axle box detail,if it will work as very limited room down there on the model but I think its possible,just gotta try!!!
I used a playmobil 2 wheel axle set for this

PICT0001.JPG

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I used a playmobil 2 wheel axle set for this

View attachment 250403
Good idea Ian and I have a couple of playmobile 2 axle chassis in the shed but I don`t think there is room under there,but would probably be a simple solution,I will have to look into it,if i`m honest I think a custom job is on the cards,I took a pic last evening(not a good one) of the area to be looked at,there is no detail on the chassis from the rear driving wheel to the back of the cab,just a plain black box,,,,in the pic the cab is loose and so not level.UNDER CAB 004.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Good idea Ian and I have a couple of playmobile 2 axle chassis in the shed but I don`t think there is room under there,but would probably be a simple solution,I will have to look into it,if i`m honest I think a custom job is on the cards,I took a pic last evening(not a good one) of the area to be looked at,there is no detail on the chassis from the rear driving wheel to the back of the cab,just a plain black box,,,,in the pic the cab is loose and so not level.View attachment 250426
Bearing in mind that it's going outside of the wheel, and there may not be that much swing if you don't have R1s, you may be able to take a chunk out of the front of the Playmobil axle box, and possibly a chunk out of Columbia behind the pivot point - I'll bet that's vacant space there ;);)

Watch this space :devil::devil:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes in a cow shed,we went to a farm on Saturday as eldest grand daughters wanted to go and see the lambs,I really really didn`t want to go but duty called,my son took his dog so when they all went into the shed to the animals granddad stayed outside with the pup,this is an old dairy farm that has been transformed into a shop and craft center with the shops etc in the old farm buildings,cow sheds and so on,me standing around noticed a sign for a model shop and so when they reappeared it was against the law not to take a look,suprised at what a well stocked shop it was albeit in the smaller scales so I wandered around,thought there may have been some plasticard or some other useful bits,,,,,,,,then on a shelf I noticed a large red Big Hauler box,faded to purple on one end and the clear plastic turning yellow so worth a look,,,,,,,,inside was a brand new mint factory fresh little Colobian 2 4 2,it still had the smoke fluid bottle full and spare couplings in the sealed bags,marked up at £150 down to £100 and when I asked what she would take for it she said £80,and yes I took it home,out of the box ITS in perfect condition,I assume it all works fine but as yet not tested it and of course will need the oilcan around it,some items need changing,the timber load in the tender is terrible looking and something needed to be done about the open wheeled rear pony truck as to me looks like an add on and just not right to my eye and a possible repaint out of the WP&Y livery but I like the colour,no idea how old she is but gone to a good home:cool:;);),I`m glad I went now!!!View attachment 250341

Be VERY careful on the kind of oil you are going to use on those plastic side rod, in fact, ANY plastic parts. Make sure that it is plastic compatible stuff you are using to anoint your new pride and joy!

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up on that one Tac but already aware of that little problem with certain oils,I have the complete set of light oils,heavy oil and greases that are plastic friendly as many of my locos and cars need them and talking oils a major maintainence programe to be undertaken before serious spring running begins,thanks again and I`m sure it will help others?;);););)

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bearing in mind that it's going outside of the wheel, and there may not be that much swing if you don't have R1s, you may be able to take a chunk out of the front of the Playmobil axle box, and possibly a chunk out of Columbia behind the pivot point - I'll bet that's vacant space there ;);)

Hi Ian,a rumage through the garage this morning found the Playmobile chassis,they appear quite chunky but I may use the spring/axle box molding after cutting it away and make up a custom pony truck to suit,now if the new truck is made to the same outside dimensions as the tender trucks I may just get away with it as should and mean should have enough swing and vertical clearance to miss the cab and chassis:clap::clap:as for R1`s and the lack of space they are used on my inner loop(R3 outer) so lots of thought to be done before commiting,I may have a closer look in the morning after work;);)but thanks for the tip even if I can`t use them. Neil.FREIGHT HOUSE DONE 008.jpg

Last edited:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag

The transition has started,I cut the Playmobile wheel sets up and tried them,alas no good without cutting them down even more as gave me no swing room under the frame,I didn`t want to cut the frame if I could help it so a custom job was on the cards.By using the original truck as a basis and building the truck on the loco in situ I could check clearances as I went along,the basic idea for the shape and design came from the Sumpter,the entire frame is from plasticard strip and rod,the springs were made from microstrip and glued rod,the low profile will allow some under cab details such as pipework etc,overall it turned out quite well,the rear of the wheels still to have a coat of paint and the whole assembly needs a second coat........and it is R1 friendly;);):cool:,I`m leaving the loco for the moment and starting on the tender first,.......2 4 0 transition 002.jpg2 4 0 transition 005.jpg