Help choose the next Roundhouse loco

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
hornbeam said:
Interesting point. I?m looking at my first Accucraft purchase, but have five Roundhouse locos. On the subject, Accucraft must have hit the sales from Tenmille, GRS and Brandbright with the sales of their rolling stock. But for me it is the bigger picture. Roundhouse run better, are more power full and the burners are better but as said Accucraft are catching up. I feel there is a lot of things Roundhouse can do to improve existing models (and of note is their website asks for ?any other comments?), such as scale rivets, hex head screws, blackened wheels, glazing, scale rivets and (non scale)sight glasses, all of which won?t cost them a fortune to do, and some things could be bought to enhance existing models. We have seen one very large manufacturer go bust because of not listening to the market and I?m sure Roundhouse will not follow. From speaking to people many say there ultimate goal is to own a Roundhouse, so the market may well be big enough for both, and indeed, Accucraft have to build much larger batches of models than Roundhouse do. Also, many people- more so when getting older ( hope not to cause offence) just like to buy British.

No offence caused I imagine :) Some very good points here with which I concur. Only other point is that I buy the best deal (not just cost) independent of country of origin. I don't think we do any industry a favour if we buy by Union Jack. All businesses must compete in the wide world I am afraid.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I cannot understand why people think Accucraft are inferior to Roundhouse.Yes they are built in China but designed in England and their burners are certainly not inferior to Roundhouse.People seem to think that having them turned up to bursting point is the correct way to run an engine,it is not.All my Accucraft have very quiet burners because I turn them down as they get hotter,there's no paint burned off the smoke box either.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Ive watched The Garden Railway series by Mark Found again last week and saw a lot of G-scale electric layouts with one or two Roundhouse locos in the sidings/shed. 45mm........

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Ferrysteam said:
I cannot understand why people think Accucraft are inferior to Roundhouse.Yes they are built in China but designed in England and their burners are certainly not inferior to Roundhouse.People seem to think that having them turned up to bursting point is the correct way to run an engine,it is not.All my Accucraft have very quiet burners because I turn them down as they get hotter,there's no paint burned off the smoke box either.

Hmmmn. Well I agree with you ? EXCEPT on the matter of burners! The Roundhouse burner (tho not their gas regulator) is certainly better designed and more efficient than the Acucraft slotted type. The replacement of the slotted burner with the small hole type as per roundhouse wouldl certainly improve things in terms of efficiency and stability. I have ben bringing this up with Accucraft UK for years. Having said that the Roundhouse bodyshells are nowhere near as nice as those of Accucraft ? and as for the awful bent up tabs, slotted screws and whitemetal buffing gear... There is also a case for saying that the running gear on Accucraft is better ? particularly in terms of the dissimilar metals on the big end.

Roundhouse major on simple and reliable locomotives with excellent logistical back up ? all built into the price. If one is entirely new to live steam or want something as simple to run as an electric loco then one could not go far wrong with an R/C Lady Anne. Accucraft will however, provide a good, well built locomotive that will generally run very well ? for half the price ? and with better bodywork to boot. If one likes to build one's own then the easily available Roundhouse running gear is generally the best choice ? although again complete running units are available from Accucraft.

Trouble is, we get attached to our little locomotives ? and Roundhouse have attracted their fair share of fanboys for whom they can do no wrong ? but the locos could do with improvements as detailed by several correspondents on this thread. Accucraft UK has been going a third of the time and is developing its share of enthusiastic adherents. It will be most interesting to see the position in another five years.

Personally I have both marques running here and like them all. I am not an uncritical fan of either and would like to see improvements to both ? no matter how keen we are on a particular product, we know their individual weaknesses really...

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I am certainly not knocking Roundhouse,they make a fine product,I find I cannot justify paying twice the price for a Lady Anne than for an Accucraft Lawley which in my opinion is better made.

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I'm with Tag on this one - the RH burners are simply miles better, and yes I have both!

As for quality of construction - they are very different in some ways, in materials especially, but overall, more bits have fallen off my Accu engine than the other 3 RH put together. (Bear in mind my engines travel many real miles a year, more than 55 last year - no machine can be 100% reliable !) In fact, bits had fallen off new in the box, which as I discovered when I went over the whole loco, was because nothing was assembled adequately tightly!

Now, this was a fairly early loco, and their quality control has undoubtedly gotten much better, I understand Ian Pearce has put a huge amount of work into acheiving this, and they are, (the new scale models especially), indeed spectaular value for money, but I have to speak as I find.

I don't have problems buying either, in fact I have just ordered a 'Leader'.....they are just each a different approach to building a living model.

I do have issues with Regner's brass boilers though - but that's another thing entirely!

b27d5e1a588f427898a7eb7918427e35.jpg

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I like Regners,there's nothing to compare them to really and the build quality is superb,they're really good fun and so easy to use. By the way Neil,that's a nice collection of engines you have there especially the Mortimer.....:clap:

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Can't wait for my Leader to come.I'm getting green.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
I feel this has gone entirely off thread. As Tag said Roundhouse will look at the suggestions & make their own decision. The Quality of Accucrarft or Regner is Nothing to do with the original question posed. The hugh quantity of locomotives built by British company's for the world market means there must be any number of models Roundhouse could make to appeal to most live steam users, or those who want to use live steam on their railways. Then again there are a significant number " foreign" locomotives running on British rails today to expand the possibilities still further.
So I guess what I'm saying is a loco built for UK use or export is the way to go followed by an imported loco.
I,m still voting for the Southwold stuff but whatever they produce I will weigh it up as a potential purchase as I do other company's output. I work hard (as we all do for my money) so quality , in all areas is everything!
Cheers Garry

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Ferrysteam said:
I like Regners,there's nothing to compare them to really and the build quality is superb,they're really good fun and so easy to use. By the way Neil,that's a nice collection of engines you have there especially the Mortimer.....:clap:

Thought you might like her.....

1636a46f1c6c494ab52fe819bccd49cf.jpg

As for RH, to bring the thread careering back on topic for the second time, I'm still on for one of those Ironstone line Pecketts....I love saddletanks, but for some reson, no-one seems to do one with a tank that covers the smokebox, which i fell the majority of British ones did.....

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
I'll do one someday Neil!

Don't care who does it, I want a model of the Harrogate Peckett...

18.jpg

I'm sure James & NHN are with me there at least!

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I think Accucraft made a mistake getting rid of Mortimer,It's still a very desirable engine,looks right somehow.I got mine not long before production ceased,I'm glad I did,still,good compensation with Leader I think.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
607b544db32e4d6fb283e129f8faf9e3.jpg

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
'll do one someday Neil! Don't care who does it, I want a model of the Harrogate Peckett...

How about a pic of your current modded Accucraft Matt? Have you done any more to it or are your days currently full of wine, women and shallow entertainment now you have finished Uni. Off topic again (slaps wrist).

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
I'm sure James & NHN are with me there at least!

You're right Matt, I'd love a model of the Harrogate peckett, a lovely loco. I bet thew Lawley wheelbase isn't too far off either.

My three locos for Roundhouse to make are:

1. Harrogate Peckett
2. Bagnall Meyer - Monarch
3. K1 garratt

The last two could possibly use the Billy chassis to maybe keep the ccosts down. They're all very unlikely to be built but we can hope!

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
There are some on here Tag... somewhere. It's not progressed since yours, except my toolbox has reappeared (via Pete). Had to drag the Marina kicking and screaming through an MOT, than and I'm living in the Co- Op at the moment... got a 2:1 by the way, dead chuffed :D

Now to find a job...

Sorry for the hijack!

A

Alec K

Congratulations on the 2:1, Matt! Those don't grow on trees - you will have worked hard for it, I know. Well done.

Alec K

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one Matt - makes the effort worthwhile.

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
brianthesnail96 said:
Don't care who does it, I want a model of the Harrogate Peckett...

...I love saddletanks, but for some reson, no-one seems to do one with a tank that covers the smokebox, which i fell the majority of British ones did.....

I remember reading, in a Festiniog journal, that the Harrogate loco's saddle tank is/was dummy at the smokebox end.