Help choose the next Roundhouse loco

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
It would be "quite interesting" to be on the receiving end of the survey.

Maybe we should also post ideas here to give everyone a public airing of desires?

Happy steamings,

John

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Roundhouse will be swamped by suggestions in no time at all. My choice would be the Corpet Louvet "Cambrai".

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
me too !!

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Well at least they are asking our community what we would like , which has to be a good move. Need to think about this now .

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
garrymartin said:
Well at least they are asking our community what we would like , which has to be a good move. Need to think about this now .
Ive still gone for the Sharpe Stewart , Southwold 2-4-0's with a suggestion about an alternative cab for the Fowler

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I just want a Pannier Tank in LT livery..............Please...................

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
minimans said:
I just want a Pannier Tank in LT livery..............Please...................

Good idea - but not some strange colour like the Aster G1 model.

David

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Having built one using Roundhouse components, I just had to vote for a K1.

Peter
a8f4614aecfc496a94fdc39d097e414d.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
'Lyd' could go down well

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Moonraker said:
I just had to vote for a K1.

Peter

Heh, heh! I already did! Proper loco....bends in the middle..............twice. Not like these "Hammer" things.

:happy:

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
funandtrains said:

Why not buy the Aster version?

Coz it's not right, the colour is wrong and it's Meth's and want gas and the Aster one's are way more expensive than I wish to pay for a used Loco...........................

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers
I think they should release some of their live steamers as battery-electric versions. To keep costs down they could use a lot of the same bits - frames, wheels, rods, bodywork etc - but install a fake boiler and cylinders and stick an electric motor inside. They would give us a nice range of British outline RTR electric locos for a similar price to new LGB European stuff. And if you ever wanted to convert it to live steam in the future then you'll just need to buy the necessary bits!

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
funandtrains said:
minimans said:
funandtrains said:

Coz it's not right, the colour is wrong and it's Meth's and want gas and the Aster one's are way more expensive than I wish to pay for a used Loco...........................
Roundhouse aren't exactly known for making true to scale models and I can't see them making a standard gauge loco. The unused Aster versions often seem to sell for between £750 and £1000, less than most new Roundhouse locos. From what I've seen about half the Aster locos ever sold have never been steamed or only had a test run and then put into a display cabinet so there are plenty of like new models that come up much less than the new price. If you don't like meths it is quite simple to fit a ceramic gas burner in place of the meths burner.

You could always by a Bachmann brassworks electric model which has been on sale quite cheaply and replace the electrics with a steam motor and gas boiler as you seem you have a reasonable workshop available to you.
Trouble is I have had a play with the Aster one and if you think a Ruby is a bit of a runaway the aster was rocket propelled! I like my Roundhouse Loco's because they are slow and sedate runners which is how I like them. I dare say I could work and fettle the Aster one to work for me but I must confess I would much rather buy something that works as it's supposed to instead of me doing the job for the manufacturer! So maybe accucraft could do the deed for me?

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
GlenF said:
I think they should release some of their live steamers as battery-electric versions. To keep costs down they could use a lot of the same bits - frames, wheels, rods, bodywork etc - but install a fake boiler and cylinders and stick an electric motor inside. They would give us a nice range of British outline RTR electric locos for a similar price to new LGB European stuff. And if you ever wanted to convert it to live steam in the future then you'll just need to buy the necessary bits!

Really? Do you think this would sell? I cannot see this. If one was purchasing an electric loco then surely it would need to be at least as detailed as the Bachmann double Fairlie ? and they had to knock those out cheap because they didn't sell. The Roundhouse locos are a rubber scale pastiche of the real thing, acceptable only because they are live steam and can be improved by the purchaser. Best bet would be to buy the Accucraft IoM electric locos and stock if one wants British outline electric. These models are fairly accurate at 1:20.3 scale and would make a nice electric garden railway.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Don't forget,it's got to be affordable.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
funandtrains said:
minimans said:
funandtrains said:
minimans said:
funandtrains said:

Roundhouse aren't exactly known for making true to scale models and I can't see them making a standard gauge loco. The unused Aster versions often seem to sell for between £750 and £1000, less than most new Roundhouse locos. From what I've seen about half the Aster locos ever sold have never been steamed or only had a test run and then put into a display cabinet so there are plenty of like new models that come up much less than the new price. If you don't like meths it is quite simple to fit a ceramic gas burner in place of the meths burner.

You could always by a Bachmann brassworks electric model which has been on sale quite cheaply and replace the electrics with a steam motor and gas boiler as you seem you have a reasonable workshop available to you.
Trouble is I have had a play with the Aster one and if you think a Ruby is a bit of a runaway the aster was rocket propelled! I like my Roundhouse Loco's because they are slow and sedate runners which is how I like them. I dare say I could work and fettle the Aster one to work for me but I must confess I would much rather buy something that works as it's supposed to instead of me doing the job for the manufacturer! So maybe accucraft could do the deed for me?

Sadly the Japanese like to run their live steam locos flat out as fast as possible and they forget that others prefer scale speeds.

Exactly, was going to post this until I saw this reply. They love "flat out" for sure!

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Ferrysteam said:
Don't forget,it's got to be affordable.

Ah but affordable means different things to different people. :)

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers
tagorton said:
GlenF said:

Really? Do you think this would sell? I cannot see this. If one was purchasing an electric loco then surely it would need to be at least as detailed as the Bachmann double Fairlie ? and they had to knock those out cheap because they didn't sell. The Roundhouse locos are a rubber scale pastiche of the real thing, acceptable only because they are live steam and can be improved by the purchaser. Best bet would be to buy the Accucraft IoM electric locos and stock if one wants British outline electric. These models are fairly accurate at 1:20.3 scale and would make a nice electric garden railway.

Interesting points Tag, to be honest I really have no idea if they would sell or not. But I think it deserves some further thought and discussion. But why do electric locos have to necessarily be more detailed than live steam? In fact I would have thought that finely detailed scale equipment would actually be a liability in the rough and tumble world of outdoor garden railways, especially as most of us go by the 8ft rule anyway.

If this project was to suceed then the pricing would have to be right. After giving it some more thought this probably means forgotting all about batteries and RC and fancy sound systems and going straight to simple track power. This would obviously rule out 32mm users so the project would have to be aimed squarely at the 45mm LGB crowd, a huge potential worldwide market. You could even include LGB-style couplers on the locos.

The electric locos from Accucraft and Bachmann Brassworks are all very nice but aimed at a fairly small section of the hobby. If they're looking for a larger audience then Accucraft should consider releasing some of their basic live steamers in track-power electric form. If they can sell a live steam Lawley for 650 then surely a 450 electric version is doable? In other words about the same price as a new LGB Spreewald.

It would be interesting to hear what others think of this (crazy?) idea. I guess we won't know the true answer until some brave manufactuer actually decides to give it a try. Anyone interested in a track-powered Bertie for 300 quid??!

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
GlenF said:
tagorton said:
GlenF said:

Interesting points Tag, to be honest I really have no idea if they would sell or not. But I think it deserves some further thought and discussion. But why do electric locos have to necessarily be more detailed than live steam? In fact I would have thought that finely detailed scale equipment would actually be a liability in the rough and tumble world of outdoor garden railways, especially as most of us go by the 8ft rule anyway.

If this project was to suceed then the pricing would have to be right. After giving it some more thought this probably means forgotting all about batteries and RC and fancy sound systems and going straight to simple track power. This would obviously rule out 32mm users so the project would have to be aimed squarely at the 45mm LGB crowd, a huge potential worldwide market. You could even include LGB-style couplers on the locos.

The electric locos from Accucraft and Bachmann Brassworks are all very nice but aimed at a fairly small section of the hobby. If they're looking for a larger audience then Accucraft should consider releasing some of their basic live steamers in track-power electric form. If they can sell a live steam Lawley for 650 then surely a 450 electric version is doable? In other words about the same price as a new LGB Spreewald.

It would be interesting to hear what others think of this (crazy?) idea. I guess we won't know the true answer until some brave manufactuer actually decides to give it a try. Anyone interested in a track-powered Bertie for 300 quid??!

As far as the majority of live steam fans are concerned, the question is why should live steam locomotives be less detailed than electric locos! People are prepared to accept minimum detail and a non prototypical locomotive for the pleasure of affordable live steam. I do this myself, but add both working and cosmetic detail to all my locomotives. Accucraft are moving forward on this by way of their 1:20.3 scale range and I would have thought these are comparable with LGB locomotives in terms of appearance and detail ? certainly in terms of scale accuracy. What one would lose from people who would prefer an electric Bertie, one would gain from those who wish to model UK outline railways rather than US and Continental. Most manufacturers I suspect, would consider that while those who don't care about scale or accuracy at all would accept a model that was a good representation of a particular British prototype, those who do care would not accept an electric Bertie, a design built solely to provide a UK built steam locomotive as cheaply as possible, with just a nod in the direction of looking like an actual steam locomotive.

I am not agin the idea you understand. I have the same arguments with those that want Roundhouse to produce Welsh 2ft gauge locomotives at 1:19 scale on 32mm only, instead of the extra wide models to accommodate those who want to run a 3ft gauge Ffestiniog :). It ain't gonna happen cos the market is not big enough. It is, of course, their investment money ? but I would not put any of mine into this idea. Again, the best bet is Accucraft's 1:20.3 range ? but I would not exclude an electric 1:19 scale Countess. Under consideration certainly...