Double motor block LGB locos battery power draw ?

Alan Ongley

Registered
13 Feb 2023
Ashtonfield
Best answers
Country flag
~~Not sure if this has been asked before , please reference me a link if it has~~

Question for the Electric/Battery gurus out there. I have secured a nice LGB RhB Railcar via an auction, Im looking to convert it along with my other fleet to battery, this is a nice powerful bit of kit as it has two motor blocks. Any idea what kind of power will this be drawing in total? 24V ? As each motor block is picking up from the track normally im assuming it will be taking double the power . I have converted single block locos upto now and run from a 12v battery pack with good results, so was thinking this might need double battary packs or a big battery ?

PS, think this logo is perfect for conversion given all the space it has
PPS, be wary that is you buy from SAS acutions they take "FOREVER" to dispatch the items but they are well packed.

thanks in advanced Richard
Hi, I converted a Bachmann 3 Truck Shay which has three motors to battery some years ago. Two 7.2 Volt 5Ah RC car batteries wired in series to give 14.4Volts and I have had run this Shay for at least 5 hours (the kids love it), and the battery never approaches minimum voltage. I've converted several different locos and I noted the current drawn by different motors rarely rises above 0.5 Amps at 14.4 Volts worst case. Also when you put the motors in series one motor will draw more power than the other , so the best way is in parrallel.
Happy converting. Alan