Dismantling LGB Starter coaches

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
What is the best way of removing the glazing and window frames from the LGB starter coaches. I've got four that I want to take apart to paint (and install some lighting). I seem to recall someone on the forum saying apply a Dremel to the two obvious glue points. I tried this on a fifth coach that has no roof but I'm afraid this just resulted in broken glazing :eek:: and the window frame still firmly in place :mad:.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Just apply steady pressure with a screw driver between glazing and body and they will pop off assuming somebody didn't
Araldite them in!

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
As Paul says that was all that was needed on mine when I repainted some earlier this year. I used a small electrical screw driver and very gently prised it in and the eventually popped out. Some joints more secure than others! I didn't bother with the end doors though as I repainted red coaches red! These might prove to be more fiddly? I'd perhaps paint them by hand or mask the windows.

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
Dont know about LGB ones BUT ive just taken the glazing out of the bachmann "Annie/Clarabell" coaches with the help of some nail varnish remover............it seemed to soften the glue!!

(and SWBMO hasnt noticed the bottle is missing ;) :clap: )

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
some can be very stubborn-as they are actually welded-not glued
use a broad edge, steady pressure and
understand that sometimes the glazing breaks despite care

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
mmts said:
Dont know about LGB ones BUT ive just taken the glazing out of the bachmann "Annie/Clarabell" coaches with the help of some nail varnish remover............it seemed to soften the glue!!

(and SWBMO hasnt noticed the bottle is missing ;) :clap: )
I'm sure she will notice your red painted finger nails eventually though....

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Thanks for all the replies - the gist of which seems to be perfect for me.........brute force and ignorance :D, so that's what I used and............it worked :clap:

Now one coach has internal lights fitted. :clap: :party: :clap:

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
No, not brute force.
Careful application of force. If a flat blade is put between the surfaces slowly it gives the bond time to fail before the window breaks.