David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
This locomotive is a simply modified LGB 4-wheel diesel, factory fitted with a decoder and a pair of roof mounted flashing beacons. It was purchased second hand on eBay.

The model as purchased.

dig 210704049.JPG

dig 210704051.JPG

dig 210704050.JPG

dig 210704052.JPG

You will note that the model, as purchased, has a silver headlamp bezel missing from the rear. Other than that, the model was in good order. Unfortunately, while playing trains testing the loco, it fell from the table and came to a sudden stop at floor level. A front corner of the window frame, at roof level, was cracked and the clear glazing of the front windows broken.

The first thing to do was to separate the body from the chassis. The body was then dismantled into its various component parts. The main body unclips into two main parts, the driver’s cab and the engine bonnet. The damage to the cab was easily repaired with a dab of glue. The glazing was also glued back together, avoiding getting any glue on the window areas. Both front windows still have a visible crack across them, but hopefully they will not be too obvious when the model is reassembled.

Having affected the repairs, it was time to start on the modifications. The exterior of the model comprises the previously referred to cab and bonnet components plus the roof and the bonnet top. I started with the cab, which has two raised data/number panels on each side. These were carved off and sanded flush with the cab side. Both cab doors had moulded door handles which were carved off and replaced with new ones made from bent brass wire.

Next I modified the bonnet section. There are four moulded handles on each side of the engine compartment. These were carved off and replaced with handles made from 0.81mm brass rod. For some reason, the large panel that covers most of the top of the engine bay, is moulded as a separate piece, which clips into the body of the bonnet. This panel also has four moulded handles, which as with the side panels, were carved off and replaced with handles made from brass rod.

The front number plate was pulled off the front grill to reveal that it is secured by pushing a square peg into a square hole, within a round boss protruding from the louvre grill. I drilled out this boss leaving a hole which I then covered by gluing thin strips of plasicard over the affected louvers.

The exhaust, on the top surface of the bonnet, is moulded in the solid. I increased the height of the exhaust by gluing a length of suitable plastic tube over the base, to look like a pipe. The last modification, to the body, was to glue two plasticard boards, on raised brackets, to each side of the leading engine compartment door. Once the model has been painted, these boards will have etched brass name plates glued to them.

As standard, the model is not fitted with brake pipes. For continuity of appearance, I fitted LGB Toy Train brake pipes, sourced from the spare box, to the buffer beams, as virtually all of the Claptowte Railway rolling stock is similarly fitted.

dig 230317001.JPG

dig 230317002.JPG

The last piece to be modified was the cab roof. This has four solid moulded ‘lumps’, in each corner, representing lifting lugs. I drilled them out to make them look more realistic.

dig 230317003.JPG

This version of the 0-4-0 diesel shunter comes with a pair of roof mounted flashing LED beacons, one red and one amber. I wanted to replace the red LED with a second amber one, to give a more Anglicised appearance. As I was not able to source a spare amber LED, I opted to replace both LEDs with clear ones, given a thinned down coat of orange paint. It achieved the desired effect.

This was the sum total of the modifications to the body. The next step was to spray all of the appropriate dismantled parts with grey plastic primer, prior to painting. This including the driver figure as I felt he should be repainted in more appropriate colours.

For a corporate livery, for the diesel fleet, I chose a colour scheme of black underframes, green bodywork and, for the roofs, the same BR maroon coaching stock roof grey as used on the passenger coaches. The green that I chose is PlastiKote RAL6005 satin Hunt Green. As with the steam locomotives, the buffer beams were finished in red. The cab interior is painted in BR cream.

Once the painting had been completed, I applied etch brass name and number places, sourced from Custom Nameplate Studio.

With its flashing roof mounted warning beacons, this loco is the ideal motive power to haul the Claptowte Railway Travelling Crane, together with its ancillary vehicles.

The completed locomotive

dig 230413001.JPG

dig 230413002.JPG

dig 230413003.JPG

dig 230413004.JPG

dig 230413005.JPG

dig 230413006.JPG

David

Reactions: 3 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
gwynne, g'is a job :p :p

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The pics of the finished loco are a bit of a con, to date I have not managed to source a spare silver headlamp bezel to replace the missing one. I had to swap a bezel between front and rear as I took the pics.

dig 230413007.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work as always.David.

What size is your bezel, as I might have a spare....

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Bezels.....Tony Green Steam has them, they’ll be at the Peterborough show tomorrow.
Perhaps a kind person could facilitate a purchase. Think they come in packs of 3 or 4, not individually. Also available in gold should you wish to pimp Gwynn.

Malcolm

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have spare silver and gold ones, as per Gizzy let us know the size (external/internal diameter) and perhaps a close-up picture to make sure it is the right kind.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What a difference a coat of paint makes!
In looks very much 'of its time' to me.
:clap:

PhilP

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Oh boy, the man has been at it again, simple upgrades but very nice, I want to know what will come out of the works next :rofl:

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The body was then dismantled into its various component parts.
Hi David

I have a similar loco that I will soon be repainting. The problem I envisage is removing the glazing from the cab moulding (needing to go in "all four directions at once"). Did the damage caused by the 'tumble'. make this easier for you? If not, do you have any tips?

PS Is it an optical illusion, or might the side windows of your glazing unit not be quite aligned corrctly?

1681552996394.png
Cheers

David

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
David

Yes the broken window did make it bit easer to remove but in general it is a case of gently squeezing and pulling to get the chromed frames clear of the window apertures, so that the glazing can be lifted out. I think the misalignment you indicate my be down to my lopsided regluing of the broken parts. With the glazing removed from the cab, it was not easy to see if things were properly lined up.

David

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Gwynne, named after my father, taking some air in the garden, 22.5.2023

dig 230522010.JPG

David

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
a pair of roof mounted flashing LED beacons, one red and one amber

Hi David

Of the various incarnations of this Kof diesel, these roof-mounted lights are included on 20900 (yours, from the MTS starter set) and on the "Duo" versions (21900/analogue and 23900/digital). On the "Duo" versions the lamps have specific uses, denoting the state of the automatic couplings. I'm curious to understand what purpose LGB has given them on the 20900 version, that has standard couplings. Do they flash whenever it moves? Or just during a particular activity?

Best wishes

David

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
F1 for the flashers on and off.

Malcolm

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi David

Of the various incarnations of this Kof diesel, these roof-mounted lights are included on 20900 (yours, from the MTS starter set) and on the "Duo" versions (21900/analogue and 23900/digital). On the "Duo" versions the lamps have specific uses, denoting the state of the automatic couplings. I'm curious to understand what purpose LGB has given them on the 20900 version, that has standard couplings. Do they flash whenever it moves? Or just during a particular activity?

Best wishes

David
As Malcolm says, F1 switches the lights on and off, but no other functionality.

When I had mine, I used it on engineering trains, so the warning lights were useful, especially with the Matra crane.

I sold mine to raise the funds for the similar LGB 21900 DUO although mine is DCC with sound. on the DUO, F1 operates the couplers, with yellow denoting couplers up and red for uncoupling (down). I also get a most satisfying coupling/uncoupling noise when F1 is actioned....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear, Oh dear - I might have to take issue - is it the right colour? Didn't she sell oranges :oops::oops:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Good see your pictures again David. They've been missed

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Claptowte Railway locomotive No 15 'Gwynne' lined up with the rest of the diesel fleet, in the garden, 23.8.2023.

dig 230823007.JPG

David

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag