Crest Electonics closing 7-31-16

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Had my TE for 13 years now. Love it to bits. Hiding handsets solution ? Everything has its place and every place has its thing - until you think of a "safe place" to place that thing :mad:

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I have used the 27Mhz. Train Engineer for about 11 years now. I have two Tx and four Rx. Three of the Rx are in battery trailing cars and the fourth is used on the few occasions I run track power.
To keep the Tx safe, out of the sun and visible when trains are running and the Tx is not being used I keep it in a square wooden open container which was designed for kitchen utensils - well that is what is engraved on the front! ;) It has a small handle for easy picking up. I also keep a decent pair of tweezers, a small knife, an Aristo track screw tightener and one or two small items such as switch lanterns in the box. When trains are not running it lives in my loco storage cupboard.
I obtained this box some years ago when visiting the local reclamation site. I took garden rubbish and one or two other things but noticed this little box which looked new and clean. I decided to reclaim it. ;)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Had my TE for 13 years now. Love it to bits. Hiding handsets solution ? Everything has its place and every place has its thing - until you think of a "safe place" to place that thing :mad:
When you next chuck out some old Jeans, cut off the Back Pockets. They make a great Pouch for holding TE, Massoth Handsets etc. just screw or Nail to a convenient place in your Man Cave.

Don't wear Jeans, get SWMBO to make some similar pockets for you.

JonD

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Its all very well having these great ideas for hanging the handset to a post , or a tree or something...but what about when you forget the tree, the post, the door...... :sweating::(:worried:

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
This is gutting news. Just don't want or need DCC - how to fit it in Feldchen, Bachmann handcar? Why should the electronics have to cost more than a loco? Please somebody post something simple on how to convert a cheap radio control for a car (or helicopter) to work my layout when my umpteen-year old Revolution turns up its toes.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This is gutting news. Just don't want or need DCC - how to fit it in Feldchen, Bachmann handcar? Why should the electronics have to cost more than a loco? Please somebody post something simple on how to convert a cheap radio control for a car (or helicopter) to work my layout when my umpteen-year old Revolution turns up its toes.

I can do that for you when the time comes..
PhilP.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Its all very well having these great ideas for hanging the handset to a post , or a tree or something...but what about when you forget the tree, the post, the door...... :sweating::(:worried:

Don't worry, Mike, by the time you get that bad you'll have forgotten you have a railway...... :rofl:

Jon.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
The great thing about analogue is that you can run two trains on the same track and be sure that there can't be a head on collision!
I find most USAT locos run at a very similar speed and two can run round and round for quite a long time (20-30 minutes) before the faster one catches the slower one.
Chris
You can have a collision if you incorrectly set the polarity switch on a Bachmann loco. . ;-)

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
On no does that mean no more Revolutions? Only shame is that you never got round to producing UK or European Sound Downloads. Might have helped your product line be more profitable.

Over 70 UK and European sound files were available to Aristo-Craft before it became Crest and several new locomotive recordings were made on Aristo's behalf. Unfortunately Lewis decided upon a software architecture that could not be characterised to use any of them.

The opportunity was missed as Lewis made the decision to continue developing a 'Pheonix' style synthesised sound module that did not allow customised sounds from the UK, Europe or even the USA to be programmed. Not that the incumbent 'generic US diesel' had any character anyway. Recording a 'runby' outside Aristo-Crafts warehouse and then up and down sampling the speed of the recording with no startup or shutdown sequences, no changes in exhaust notes etc. etc. It simply did not even begin to stand up to the developments from Loksound, ZIMO and others at the time.

I'm real sorry that this product stops here, but when you have a dinosaur on your hands you have to realise it will die out sometime. I don't mean to be 'mean' here as I have integrated the Revolution's receiver with external 16bit sound cards and simply love the whole setup, so to see CREST crumble is not something I ever wanted to see.

Having based my own implementation on the Revolution controller, the question is - who fills the gap for a reliable R/C system now?

I like to know as I have not had to look for one until now.

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
HOW DO YOU DELETE DUPLICATE POSTINGS?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
HOW DO YOU DELETE DUPLICATE POSTINGS?
Yes I have linked up an Aristo non-sound Card with a USA presumably 16 bit that has a Goose Sound. Another uses a Brian Jones Sound of a UK Class 37 Diesel. Trouble is that was an expensive route to go particularly so later when you are having to buy Crest Sound Cards then ignore the Sound and use someone elses at additional cost. Quite sad really, Crest could have delivered so much more.
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Over 70 UK and European sound files were available to Aristo-Craft before it became Crest and several new locomotive recordings were made on Aristo's behalf. Unfortunately Lewis decided upon a software architecture that could not be characterised to use any of them.

The opportunity was missed as Lewis made the decision to continue developing a 'Pheonix' style synthesised sound module that did not allow customised sounds from the UK, .

The phoenix early 'bigsound' sound cards used digitised recordings of real locos not synthesised ones....

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
The phoenix early 'bigsound' sound cards used digitised recordings of real locos not synthesised ones....

Yes, and they use those recordings by up and down sampling loosing the characteristics by synthesising the engine note throttle changes.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
One of the easier things in this world is to say how others should spend their money. ;)
Aristocraft and Crest were a family business - basically mom and pop with relatives and family having various degrees of input. Over the long history of the family, from central New York city to the later warehouse style operations in New Jersey, it was always that way so as far as I can see.
When you get towards 'free tv' licence age (75 for non UK readers :eek:) would you want to get involved in expensive research and development costs? Or would you just like to enjoy the remainder of your life enjoying your family and hobbies knowing that the money you made would not go down some sinkhole?
I know which my choice would be.
Technology moves fast these days it seems, however the older Train Engineers ( which I use) still give many large scalers good service and I am sure the Revolution will continue to do so for some time. Who knows what technology we will be presented with in the next year or so. Whatever it is, as long as it not too expensive, I am sure folks will buy it.
Another facet is, of course, that large scale railroading has, it seems, passed it peak of popularity. Many retail outlets, both sides f the Atlantic Ocean, have closed down or deleted large scale from their inventory in recent times.

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
One of the easier things in this world is to say how others should spend their money. ;)
Aristocraft and Crest were a family business - basically mom and pop with relatives and family having various degrees of input. Over the long history of the family, from central New York city to the later warehouse style operations in New Jersey, it was always that way so as far as I can see.
When you get towards 'free tv' licence age (75 for non UK readers :eek:) would you want to get involved in expensive research and development costs? Or would you just like to enjoy the remainder of your life enjoying your family and hobbies knowing that the money you made would not go down some sinkhole?

I don't know where you are coming from here, it was MY MONEY that made me pull out and it had already cost me plenty for travel and access to make those recordings!

Lewis was already committed to pouring money into the Revolution Sound system at the time and made the wrong call. PERIOD. Lewis's approach was old hat whilst it was being developed and remained that way whilst the market went in the other direction. So perhaps you are right in that respect that he did not have the stomach to fund something he was told would not get off the ground. Similarly, those products which did encompass the right way of doing things have retained their financial buoyancy to this day.

D

Deleted member 1986

Bachmann handcar?
https://www.facebook.com/gscaledevo...41833.221194178225611/226589334352762/?type=3

simple on how to convert a cheap radio control for a car

https://www.gscalecentral.net/resources/simple-toy-car-rc.40/

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
The latest comment, from a well known retailer in the USA, says the the Revolution should be available again within the next two to three months from a new owner. Whether it will feature upgrades and be available in the UK remains to be seen, but hopefully it will be as I know many folks have the REVO system in use on their railroads.

Reactions: 1 user