Crest Electonics closing 7-31-16

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Dear Crest Electronics Customers,

We have made a good product, but have not developed sufficient additional items to allow us to cover our overhead. I have devoted the past 2 ½ years to try to make this venture successful and failed.

We will be closing as of 7-31-16 and I will look for a day job. In the meantime, you can mail any repairs to me at my home at 74 Williams Ave., Jersey City, NJ 07304 and I will do the necessary repairs after my day job. However, I can’t do free warranty repairs, so call me in advance for a quote and send a check with the repair plus return shipping costs. The phone number of my portable will remain the same at 201-565-6069, though it will be better to reach me in the evenings.

It’s been a pleasure to serve you and I look forward to a long time of keeping your equipment in tiptop shape.

Yours truly,

Navin Shievdayal
Crest Electronics

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
On no does that mean no more Revolutions?

I have to say I do like them having 3 Controllers and 4 Loco's with 2 more Diesel Sound units to fit when I get round to them. Only shame is that you never got round to producing UK or European Sound Downloads. Might have helped your product line be more profitable.

Good bye and good luck with whatever else you do in the future.
JonD
Satisfied User of Crest Radio Control.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Blast!
Just as I was getting my head round them. - Having now fitted several sets..

Please pass best wishes on to Navin, if you can, Alan.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have been recently in touch with Navin over a possible repair to a 2-8-2 Mikado block.
It is a shame that Crest is closing its doors as the Revolution was a good and relatively cheap RC system.
Navin was a brave man taking it on when the parent company, Aristocraft, closed the doors a few years back now.

It seems another nail in US garden rail's coffin is hammered in.
Good luck Navin

Reactions: 1 user

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
It's my fault! :blush::( Every time I decide to purchase something, the company goes TU :oops::cry:

Anyway, having seen the news, I ordered a second Revolution base station for the backyard line. I've been meaning to do this for some time, but groceries always got in the way. :rolleyes:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Its a shame but I'm not surprised. I seriously considered buying this system but decided not to because it was non standard.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Long live ANALOGUE!! left to go back right to go forward................................ Simple as can be...........

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Except when you run 2 locos on the same track :D

The great thing about analogue is that you can run two trains on the same track and be sure that there can't be a head on collision!
I find most USAT locos run at a very similar speed and two can run round and round for quite a long time (20-30 minutes) before the faster one catches the slower one.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Given Crest's previous alignment with Aristocraft and Polk's, what becomes of these ?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
aristocraft is gone.
crest is gone
polks generationnext is barely there...

I don't quite understand what the question is...

Greg

p.s. not all analog locos run in the same direction so you cannot guarantee no head on collisions, nor do many run the exact same speed even if the same model... and I have about 30 USAT locos...

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I still think the old TE was a really useful controller for new entrants to the hobby (and still great for some of us dinosaurs).
One reasonably priced unit gave radio control of track power. Point motor controllers could be added as time went by. It was possible to control up to 10 tracks and 50 points from one single handheld transmitter. All very simple to use and very cost effective compared to dcc. It also has a clip so you can attach it to your belt or trouser pocket. I control my track, a wheel cleaning unit, 2 isolating sections and 10 points from my TE.
The lack of a simple, reasonably priced, comprehensive track radio control system could well be a barrier to folks entering the world of garden railways. I can't see that it would be difficult or take a huge amount of investment for someone who understands radio control to make such a unit , but using 2.4gig of course.
I guess the most likely development will be control from a tablet via an app (which is already just becoming available for smaller scales).
Apologies for going a little off topic a bit but maybe not catering for the starter market was a mistake by Crest. The old TE technology could have been easily made to work for smaller scales.

Reactions: 1 users

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The only thing the train engineer lacked was a location device to find where you had left the handset.

Reactions: 2 users

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The only thing the train engineer lacked was a location device to find where you had left the handset.

How true...how true....... It also happens with the Massoth Navigator.....darned secretive little fellows....

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The TE also had the option of using onboard receivers so that individual multiple (if that makes sense) loco control was possible....